INSIDE THE TOWER at Dovers nerve Center

Forums Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION INSIDE THE TOWER at Dovers nerve Center

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    dino
    Keymaster

Found this rare Shot in the Big ODF Gallery by T,O’Shea ,of what our crowded Tower looked like in the middle of running the races. Most never saw what went on .Thats Frank ,our timer, with headset to the Quarter mile . He told them the times to write on the slips, from reading the clocks in front of him. Before the Chrondeks ,they where The original Vacuum tube (Army Surplus) homemade versions. Mike is shown taking a break from doing the hand math -no calculator! – handicap factors by national records .He’d call them out to frank to set the tree. And I’m doing my thing watching whats ‘On Deck”.WE did a lot ,at the same time…tripping over each other. Hectic, non-stop action ! Plus I was getting Walkie-talkie input from the staging lane phone ,to call the next classes down . Mike has chimed in at the ‘Dover’s Last Day’ topic …And We’re Looking For Frank .

Attachments:

mike-mannion

Awesome pic! Yes, thats us. Cant believe how much hair I still had!
            Mike

dino
            Keymaster

If ya didn’t notice …over night we went over 200 on the forum ! Mike is # 201 ! And An ODF MEMBER ! Welcome aboard ….now wheres that cool Mopar you had ?..Barret-Jackson is looking for it !

dino
                Keymaster

We’ve got the Dover CSI looking for Frank And “Time-Slip Ron”…..Glad Mike checked in…lot of new info….Cool Oh…someone asked “what was under the second floor?”….well thats where we parked the old Christmas Tree…the R2D2 thing ,before the Crondeks. Thats why the little ramp ,if ya look close in tower shots….it was on wheels. Some other things stored there (timing light beams ,wiring hook-ups,shoe polish,brooms, speedy dry….AND sometimes some ‘indescretions” went on down there !…used to hear some strange noises sometimes. 🙄

dino
                    Keymaster

Thought this applied here (Reply To V-BoB’s Post ‘Mighty Mouse” in Historical Photos )

quote dinotheweirdo:

Amazing,… how the photos bring back the memories…look over the roof of the vette…THATS THE CRAPPER for the hot car pits …how soon we forget…if I couldn’t make there ,I just aimed for the corner “downstairs” in the tower …And you thought I was getting some timing equip. ……memories….memories……sam’s liquid lunch ….about third round of eliminations…..
                        dino
                        Keymaster

Seems Dover CSI has hit a dead end with Finding FRANK the Timer and Time-Slip RON……All points bulletin out Now for there where-abouts ? CAN Tommy Anderson …His Sisters Or BUD Hallock be reached for assistance here ….E-mail me if ness.

dino
                            Keymaster

JUST IN 😀 and On the Forum -Mike Grise ! Franks Son ….sent this (Had the Spelling of last name confused )…Saw him sign on and sent him the Question “related to frank?’

Yes, Frank Grise was my dad. He moved out west some time ago and passed away 5 years ago. His real name was Francis but he prefered Frank. On Sunday’s, he would pack my brother and I in the new 1966 belvedere wagon, 383, 4 speed, and take us with him and we spent a lot of the day in the tower. We always arrived very early and my brother and I helped set up the trip beams. I remember going to the track when it was closed and dad would work on the timing systems. He knew everything about electronics. I was in the tower as were you. I have alot of good memories of Dover.
                                Mike Grise

dino
                                Keymaster

Asked Mike if ‘maybe’ he had some photos….? Got this back 😀 :
                                    ‘Dino,
                                    I’m working on a few stills that I do have. I am waiting for Dan, my brother to forward them. Also, more importantly, I have a lead on some 8mm that I am working on. I will keep you postedback , Mike’

dino
                                    Keymaster

Every Time I go to ODF galleries I FIND SOMETHING NEW ! Hows this …just Found ME ! …Of interest is Score board of “Club Points” on window…OK what or who was D.D.R.A. ?

Attachments:

tomblake
                                        Participant

Dover
                                            Drag
                                            Racing
                                            Association What else 😆 😆

dino
                                            Keymaster

Nope :Danbury Drag Racing Assoc.

dino
                                                Keymaster

Haven’t heard from Mike Mannion lately…we still need to track down the info on the first timing equip.,that was all homemade. I’ll get an update.Also- How the heck were handicap starts down with a flagman? Like Pinks? —car lenths?

tomblake
                                                    Participant

I remember car lengths but don’t remember how they were computed.

dino
                                                        Keymaster

I still have a number of questions…prior to my time in the tower…now that we found all the previous announcers (thats ANOTHER Topic you can enjoy-Search ‘announcers’)…maybe we’ll be able to find out about the flag start handicapping,the electronics,and a few other mysteries.

dino
                                                            Keymaster

ROLL CALL !
                                                                Looking for all WHO worked in the Tower …YEARS and Job.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.