Trans Brake Issues!!

Forums Forums RACE TECH QUESTION FORUM Trans Brake Issues!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    mikey

I need some help with my trans brake!! My Willys has a Turbo 350 with a reverse valve body and a Trans Brake. When we took the car to Orlando for Test and Tune, Carlos told me the T-Brake was not working right. He would push the button to “engage “the Brake, push the throttle, and the car would lurch forward about 1 to 2 feet before it “engaged”.I honestly thought that Juan Carlos just didn’t know how to use it. Well, I took the car out yesterday after making some changes and adjustments, and it did just what he said!! WTF!! I don’t really know the “ins and outs” of a Trans Brake, so I need input from you guys. Can a solenoid go bad but still “engage” late?? Could a band need to be tightened, or does the solenoid possibly have an adjustment somewhere?? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

P.S. Make a post, PM me, or call my cell: 407-394-6830. If I don’t answer, I’ll call you right back, my my phone is hard to answer when it comes out of its “sleep mode”. Smart phone my ass!!

lee-valentine

Try pushing the button a couple of times before you actually set the brake. If that helps you might be foming the fluid on your burnout,if there is air in the fluid the brake will not hold.

mikey

Lee, thanks for the idea. 😀 I don’t think that’s the problem though, because I didn’t do a burnout, I just backed out of the driveway, put the trans in 1st and pushed the trans brake button. 👿 It didn’t hold right away, and I tried it twice. 👿 Any other ideas?? 🙄 😆
                …………..Mikey :mrgreen:

tomblake
                Participant

Mikey….Have not worked on a Turbo 350 but the Turbo 400 and PG should be the same principle. As far as adjustment, the solenoid is electrically opened or closed with no internal adjustment. The solenoid pushes a rod into the valve body when the solenoid is engaged to redirect the fluid flow. When the button is released the rod and solenoid move out of the way to let fluid flow and the car moves forward. When Mary and I ran super gas and super comp we did adjust the solenoid to engage at the closest point for quick release. The way we made the adjustment was to put spacers between the solenoid and the case body. The more spacers the quicker the release but too many spacers and it would not lock up the trans because the rod didn’t redirect the fluid flow.
                    The internals of the trans, when the band adjustment was too loose the cars could move or jump forward when engaged, inches but not a couple of feet. The internal clearances of the clutch packs also could let the car move but again not feet only inches. The adjustment on the band was tighten till the band was snug on the drum and than back out 3 turns. Clearances on the clutch packs was done with the thickness of fibers and steels. The internal clearances on the clutch pack on the PG was about 0.060.
                    Hope this helps. Will give you a call in the morning.

mikey

Thanks, Tom. I really appreciate the input from you and Lee. It’s very strange, because it has been working fine, until we went to Orlando on 4/6/14.Not sure what to think about all this. ……………….Mikey :mrgreen:

masracingtd1167
                        Participant

Mickie I don’t know too much about a trans brake in a 350 I think they work a little different than a power glide . A glide uses low and reverse and I think a 350 uses low and direct . What rpm are you at when you push the button ? It could just be not enough pump pressure at idle . I have had this problem with a glide before . Try raising your rpm a few hundred higher and try it

mikey

I have always been in the habit of staging the car at around 2000 to maybe 2200 just for that reason.:D Since the trans was rebuilt, there are only about12 to 15 passes on it at Lakeland(1/8th), and now 3 passes at OSW. 🙄 This annoys the hell out of me!! I know the alternator is working, so there is plenty of voltage. 🙂 The pump is/was new at the rebuild, a TCI unit, trans temp is good, I have a temp gauge in the dash, and the trans fluid is full. 😐 Oh, I use Type F, and I always have in any automatics that I’ve owned and always had good luck. 😉 I don’t mind foot-braking the car, but it has a Trans-Brake and I want to use it!! 😈
                                ………………Mikey :mrgreen:
                                P.S. Super Sport Pete called me with some ideas, and Tom Blake also called with some ideas. I really appreciate all the information and ideas from all of you guys. I’m going to take all of the info, not just some, and check out everything!! If per chance I get it fixed, I’ll let you all know what I found. Again, thanks. Oh, keep those ideas and comments coming!! 😆

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.