2011 Silverado 2500HD problem

Forums Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION 2011 Silverado 2500HD problem

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    hvy70ss
    Participant

Hi Folks,
        Looking fo a little help with my 2011 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 4X4. At about 63-70 mph I get bad shake in the cab of the truck, especially around the center console and passenger seat area. You can actually see the head rest shake. Anything below 60 mph, not there at all. Iv’e been to the dealer many times….we changed tires, balanced all 4, body mounts and played with tire psi. Actually had a GM notice recommending to lower rear tire psi. Factory calls for 80psi. I have at 60psi…problem still there but a little better. You cannot beleive how bad this is on the interstate at over 60 mph….sore neck and back!! Loaded with trailer w/sway bars is worse. Any help or ideas???

Smitty

dino
        Keymaster

Jack up the radiator cap and change the engine.

hvy70ss
            Participant

Funny guy!!!….figured you’d say buy a Ford.

bobby-s

Smitty,
                    one cause I found when working on some trucks, the flex plate was cracked because of loose bolts while in there fixing that the torque converter bolts were coming loose too, a friend had something LIKE ! that being the harmonic balance was starting to move, he found it by checking for true tdc and noticed the marks did not line up. something a racer had at mid track– the torque converter had a bad sprag in it. Maybe not your problem but sometimes good to hear all you can.
                    Good luck
                    Bobby

anthonyc

My friend had this same problem with his Dodge p-up. I will ask him but I think it was something with the ball joints . He said it was called “death rattle” look it up . They did something for him under warranty. I will ask him.

dino
                        Keymaster
                            quote HVY70SS:

Funny guy!!!….figured you’d say buy a Ford.

OK ….BUY A FORD

VBOB…Check In here…. you know how to fix this -Right?

mikey

A friend of mine had a similar problem, but his was with a Ford pick-up. The factory called it “cab boom”. The dealer changed all the cab mounting rubber(or whatever)bushings, and the problem went away. So far, you are getting some good information on your problem, other than Dino, of course. Keep us informed, I’m really curious about this. ……………Mikey 😕 😆

gramdog1
                                Participant

Check the front U-joint.Had this problem with son’s F 250. 💡 💡

hvy70ss
                                    Participant

Thanks for the help so far….Mikey, i had them change body bushings…in fact there was a TSB on it from GM. Gramdog1, You may be on to something..that’s right where the shake/vibe is coming from. I may get the driveshaft checked and rebalanced. This problem was from DAY ONE with this truck 23’000 on it now. We all know how dealer service/politics can be. Alot of dealer mechs. can’t think outside the box…if it’s not on paper from GM than it doesn’t happen…know what I mean?? Still looking for suggestions….Thanks!

Smitty

babycakes
                                        Participant

Pinion angle,u joints binding or worn,trans. mount or motor mount broken,drive shaft out of balance? (did you try rotating it 180 degrees see if it made a difference?).Trans.flex plate cracked was a good suggestion! Good luck!

tomblake
                                            Participant

What about the lemon law? (After three tries of not being able to fix a problem).
                                                I had a Chevy that the service manager finally told me they could not fix. At the service managers request I did use the lemon law. Got full price back on that car and paid dead cost for a new truck. And that was after two years of owning the car. Best new purchase I ever made.

mikey

You guys have really got some good ideas going. I’m thinking about the front shaft now too. Some of them had a type of velocity joint, didn’t they?? Could be a “stiff” spot.
                                                    ……………..Mikey 😕 😆

anthonyc

I spoke to my friend today,his dodge is lifted and that creates the problem its called “Death wobble” not rattle. Is your truck lifted?
                                                        Anyhow he said it was corrected with airbags in the rear and a bigger sway bar to get more weight over the nose.He said try to panic stop from when you get the shake and see if it goes away-it did with his. Here is a thread i found –

http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134915 from reading this im not sure its so common on GM pick ups but if you search the term on google there is a number of topics about it.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.