Looking for any info on a 69 yellow 427 Camaro

Forums Forums OLD RACE CAR LOCATOR Looking for any info on a 69 yellow 427 Camaro

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    1969copocamaro

I am looking for any info on a 69 COPO Camaro that is Daytona Yellow, with a black vinyl top, that was raced at Dover and Suffolk drag strips in the early ’70’s. There are “kill stickers” on the rear windows from both tracks, from the early ’70’s. It was owned by Joe Lamana ??? It may have been nicknamed “Mr Attitude”. It was painted black at some point, but never really cut up. There are only 3900 miles on this car. I really don’t think that it saw too much street use. Any info or contacts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Frank

racehome

Here’s a picture of the drivers side quarter window. NHRA Class Winner 4 times in 1971 and 1 time in 1973.
            It also has 5 NHRA “WINNER” stickers on the passenger side quarter window from Suffolk County Raceway.

I’m guessing a car with a decorated window like this was seen at the track a few times.
            Any help on identifying this old Camaro would be great.

Thanks,
            Tony Huntimer
            Camaro Performers Magazine

dino
            Keymaster

Those are Genuine Dover Win stickers …The NHRA from the year we were sanctioned. I checked your site, is that the car with”Byrne Bros”. on the scoop? WE HAVE people on this forum that worked AND owned that dealership! Guys….notice the question in the first post was a YEAR ago!

Attachments:

don-kauer

I remember this car well……..Late 60’s and early 70’s before I got my station in White Plains, I worked for Bob Ingles at Armonk Sunoco and we worked on this car there and I got to know Joey Lemanna well…I think he had a station in the Hawthorne area nad then one north somewhewre………..Don…….

racehome

I’m pretty sure that the car campaigned with a different hood. I think the new owner added the hood because it was a cool “period correct” hood scoop. I’m also not positive that the car was originally from Byrne Chevrolet…that may have also been added for nostalgic purposes, but it’s possible it was from Byrne. That’s the reason I didn’t post the current picture…since it may distort peoples memories of the car. 🙂 I’ll have to confirm with the current owner. The car was originally yellow from the factory and at one time in its life it was painted black. The vinyl top has always been present.

Here’s a picture of the 5 NHRA wins from Suffolk County Raceway (no dates) on the passenger quarter window:

Thanks,
                        Tony Huntimer

racehome
                            quote dinotheweirdo:

Those are Genuine Dover Win stickers …The NHRA from the year we were sanctioned. Guys….notice the question in the first post was a YEAR ago!

No big deal on the year going by since Frank asked about the car. From seeing the other posts about cars, I get the feeling a picture really helps get the wheels turning and rubber burning around here. 😆

Since you guys know what the decals are for, can you tell me what the ’72 stickers without the “winner” on the bottom were for? My only guess is that the sticker simply meant that the car particpated but didn’t win. The “winner” decals were only for the first place finishers…not the runner-up or lower on the tree?

Thanks,
                            Tony Huntimer

1969copocamaro

Tony,

Thanks for bringing this post back to life…. I appreciate you posting some pics. As you know, this is my son’s car, amd he is only 17 years old. He was very involved with the restoration of this car. It would really mean alot to us to see some pics of this car from “the day”… If anyone can give us any info whatsoever on this car would be great. Maybe we could bring this car to the Dover reunion this year. BTW It is my understanding that this car was sold out of Byrne Bros Chevrolet.

Frank

racehome
                                    quote 1969copocamaro:

Tony,

Thanks for bringing this post back to life…. I appreciate you posting some pics. As you know, this is my son’s car, amd he is only 17 years old. He was very involved with the restoration of this car. It would really mean alot to us to see some pics of this car from “the day”… If anyone can give us any info whatsoever on this car would be great. Maybe we could bring this car to the Dover reunion this year. BTW It is my understanding that this car was sold out of Byrne Bros Chevrolet.

Frank

Frank, No Problem! I’m just trying to get some answers, since I’m a big fan of the history behind awesome cars like the one Caleb has there. It’s a beautiful restoration of a car with a very “winning” history.

Maybe the guys who remember the car can shed some light on what the car looked like through description and/or pictures. 🙂 I searched through ever post on this “old racecar locator” thread and didn’t see any evidence of this car in particular.

Have a Happy New Year!
                                    Tony Huntimer

dino
                                    Keymaster

Frank …Good question and asumption on Decals. Class wnner -blank- NHRA ….BUT (always gotta look out for the buts)…..I always wondered that too.And the beauty of this year and half (So Far) forum…Is you can usually find the answer OR be headed in the right direction .Heres what Tony Neri ( An Adv. Specialty supplier to the track ) said When I asled him why some ’69 decals had No Year:
                                        ” Dino,I don’t think i have any records going back that far but I do remember one year I was instructed not to put a year on the kill stickers. If my fading memory is correct, it was for the reason that Chet (???) & (what was his partner’s name?) wanted to save money (surprise, surprise) and order a larger number of kill stickers so that they could get a lower price. In order to buy more than they would need in a regular season, they initially got them wiith no year so they could use them for a number of years. ”
                                        ……………It is my Thinking that the owners ALSO dropped the CLASS WINNER ,so the could have an ALL purpose Decal suitable for Eliminator Winners AND give to BRACKET Elim. winners (No Class run-offs -dial -in) ‘Same THINKING’…Save Money” The other thing that could have happened is the Decal order got screwed up Delete NHRA (WE lost Sanction) and Never got replaced with the old Class Winner.You Didn’t ever get a decal for just entering…you had to win it. Class win And be eligible for running Elim WAS BE REPLACED with Bracket racing …Also “Cheaper” -worse designed Decals were used in the last years…(owners trying to save money).
                                        NOW back to the Camaro in Question…BIG Mystery …WHERE IS IT ansd Who Owns It .

1969copocamaro

At some point, this car was painted black with a spray can. The overspray is still on the kill stickers. I was told that a track announcer nicknamed it “Mellow Yellow”… This pi$$ed off the owner, and he painted it black. I was also told that it had “Mr. Attitude” painted on it’s tail panel. These are just some stories that I have been told… Does this ring a bell with anyone ????? Does anyone have any pics ????

Thanks, Frank

dino
                                            Keymaster

Could I ,your humble announcer , be the one that called it Mellow Yellow ?….. if it wasn’t lettered ,I usually called it something ,with some owners actually lettering my idea on the car( Mystery Willys -Ad-Man-)…obviously this guy wasn’t into Donovan. John Sachs should know something here…Weren’t you and Kolb with Byrne at one time ?

don-kauer

Frank, I’ve just answered your private message……….I hope it went through….I’m new at this…….let me know…….Don…

1969copocamaro

Got it Don… I think that I called you Pat…Sorry, my mistake.

john-sachs-sr
                                                        Participant
                                                            quote dinotheweirdo:

Could I ,your humble announcer , be the one that called it Mellow Yellow ?….. if it wasn’t lettered ,I usually called it something ,with some owners actually lettering my idea on the car( Mystery Willys -Ad-Man-)…obviously this guy wasn’t into Donovan. John Sachs should know something here…Weren’t you and Kolb with Byrne at one time ?

No.
                                                            The Mayor of Naples,Fl. Bill Barnett worked there. 😕
                                                            John

dino
                                                            Keymaster

Think it’s about time for me to corner “his Honor” the Mayor AKA “Soupy Sales ” digger driver….And get him on here.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.