Cost of the trip to the Valley…….

Forums Forums NOSTALGIA DRAGS 3rd Annual Dover Drag Strip NOSTALGIA DRAGS -2 0 1 1 Cost of the trip to the Valley…….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    mikey

I’m just curious if anyone has thought about what the cost of gas will be like to make the trip to the Valley in August. Right now, my racing gas, E85 is up to $3.17 per gallon, still waaaayyy more affordable than Sunoco or VP. The problem is the price of regular gas. Right now, where I live in Florida, the Orlando, Kissimmee, St, Cloud area, regular averages about $3,80 per gallon. I’m sure that going up Rte 95 on my way to New York, and especially when I hit New Jersey, the gas prices will probably give me heart palpitations! I’ll be traveling about 1450 miles, and my truck towing, gets between 12 and 15 MPG on a good run. So let’s say I get an average of 13.5 MPG. If I figured it correctly, that’s about 108 gallons of gas. At say $4.00 per gallon average in the different states, That’s about $435.00 just for gas. Then, for me, a Hotel room on the way up, $60. to $80.00, stopping to rest and get some food, you can only live out of a cooler just so long. Then once I get up to the Valley, a hotel up there for 3 days, another $60. to $80.00 per night, let’s say $70. per night times 3, $210.00, plus taxes of course. Then, getting into the track for 2 days. And, then I still have to get back to Florida! Hm, $435. for gas, say $300. for the Hotels, $275. for food on the way up and back, and I could be way low on the food. That’s a little over $1000. just for the trip up, and I still have to get home, another $700. to $900. So, the trip up and back will cost nearly $2000.00. The only thing I didn’t add was race gas, because I’m bringing what I need. Anybody else wondering how the heck we can do this a little cheaper?? HELP!!! I’m planning on being there, but I sure hope gas comes down instead of going up any more. Good thing my Mom left me a small stipend from her estate, what there was of it. Thanks, Mom! …..Mikey 😆

patina
        Participant

Yeah move back to NY. 🙄

Pat

tomblake
            Participant

What was the credit card commercial that ended something like.

“and to live in Florida……Priceless.”

babycakes
                Participant

For sure Mikey,it’ll put a ‘big’ dent in the wallet for you and others who have to make this long trip with your race cars,and believe it or not,there’s alot of us O.D.Fs that appreciate you bringing them.Hey,life’s too short,and if you didn’t come,I’m sure you’d regret these “GREAT” Dover events we’ll remember for the remainder of our lives.

vbob
                    Participant

HEY
                        You forgot tolls and the 50th is the weekend before the 3rd DDS Race so you gotta stay all week between events!!!
                        Get a sponsor on the side of your trailer.Oh, O’BAMA FOR PRESIDENT 2012!Hey, I didnt know he was Irish!!!!!
                        Better start saving $$$ now for the trip!!
                        Put an add in the paper looking for riders to share expenses up north!!!!
                        Pick up Dino in N.C. he’s good for $5 !!!!!!

‘V’

mikey

V, you are a pill. I really don’t think that there is anyone in, or close to my area that’s interested in going. I put it out there last year, on this site, and the M&M Forum, and the only one who responded was Maso. He was good company, and he drove some and split the gas and some of the Hotel bill. Now, Maso bought a house in N. Carolina, and I’ve yet to get a direct answer on him going, or not. As for Dino, he’s got way too much stuff to bring, and I don’t have the room. I could even meet somebody in N. or S. Carolina, wherever. If it’s on the way, we can make it work. Hey, Dino,,, want to split the cost of a small motorhome?? We could fit my little bag of clothes and All of your junk and GOODIES, and still have room left!! Let me know, you’re going to rent a car anyway, and we’ll have a mobile hotel room. They are not too bad if you can get a deal on the miles, about $120. to 140 per day depending on the size, plus miles. ……………Mikey 😆

tomatohead
                            Participant

…….. you guys know with all the crap that is going on in the world today that theres not much the lot of us can do about it ………………………………….alot of things just suck …..so only thing I can say is if you do one thing might as well be the “get together” cuase at lease that will be good and you will be with friends ……………………..no matter what it costs , …. cant do it when your ….dead …………so dont know what to say to make it feel better , but its going to be a llloooooonnnnggggggg time before its better 🙁 out there in the USA :!:……………………………. ……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………… so long as were breathin’ might as well make the race remember , …its two days 😀 ❗

mikey

Thanks, Mater, just wondered if anyone else was having the same issues or thoughts as I’m having. If it’s at all possible to make the trip, I’ll be there. I’ve been saving since last year. Just a little worried about the prices on gas and hotels, and it looks like I’ll be coming up by myself, no one has contacted me about going with me this year. It sure would help if someone could share the cost of gas and a hotel room. I need to get a hold of Maso, and if he wants to go, we can meet somewhere. Maybe Fred Rice, I should give him a call. We’ll see. I want to win it all this year!! ……….Mikey 😆

tomatohead
                                    Participant

…..Mikey ❗ you can send “MASO” a e mail anytime 😀 …… I know we all or most of us live up here close to the valley , but coming or going as long as I am here ,your more then welcome to stop by and relax 😀 ( shower swinnin pool and race car parking ) on your way up ,or on your way back down and regroup , goes for you too Blake Family (Tom) ,FLA is where my parents are too so I know its not around the corner , 😮 I ve told “Dino” the same thing bout staying over in the guest room 😀 it has two beds , …or stoppin” bye , ………..cant do it when your dead 🙁 …………………………….. and I hate to say it , …..but the gas is going to go higher 😮 ………………………….and if the race was in FLA would I load up and come down ❓ yes ❗ cuase I would stay with Mikey Blake and MASO and if they didnt want me I d go to my parents 😀 if I had too ……………………….USA is really in the shitter right now 🙁 last couple of years and looks like the next few …………………hope we can pull threw , this is really lookin not good ……………………………………………………..

mikey

Joe, thanks for cheering me up. 😀 I appreciate the offer, and I know it’s genuine, and that makes it special. 😉 And yes, if you were down here, I’d try to make room for you too. 😉 We’ll just have to see how things shake out. 😕 I’ll be there, I’ll just be a little poorer than I was when I left. 😎 ……………..Mikey 😆

tomatohead
                                            Participant

……. Mikey , Mikey , of course I mean it 😀 ,I know Blake has a motor home but I have room for him to park too 😀 my drivway is 104 feet long 😀 ,and I know “Dino”s on a thight scheule 😮 , …. and even know I am only about an hour from the Valley I will probably just sleep in my truck saturday nite 😆 and RACE sunday ❗ I hope ❗ ……never know what will pop up ❓ 😯 ❗ …… but I am going to the 50th annierversary FIRST ❗ at the track in Wingdale 😀 ….thats not a biggy for me , …only 13 miles from my house :mrgreen: ❗ so whats everybody elses plan ❓ ❓ ❓ …..any ideas 💡 ❓

mikey

Where do you live? In, or near Stormville, maybe Hopewell Junction?? For some reason, I had thought that you lived off 9W up on the mountain on the way to West Point. Oops! I’ll stay in touch, and let you know what’s going on with the trip, and thanks again, I really appreciate your generosity. …………..Mikey 😆

tomatohead
                                                    Participant

…..Mikey I live in Stormville ❗ thats what started this whole race thing with the airport ❗ and now we are on the third race ❗ you can stop bye on the way to the track ,and when you leave you can stop by on your way out , its easy andclose to the major RTs too the south RT 84 west to Rt 87 south to RT 287 south to Rt 95 south and your on your way 😀 …..so If you come up the same way I just said you would come right by my house 😀 ……its too easy and when you do come up I would meet you on the exit ramp and you could just follow me in and then the next day just drive up to the Valley together 😀 , it would be easyer then you think :D….sort of like a pit stop 😀 but no hurry ❗

tomblake
                                                        Participant

Joe…..Thanks very much for the invite. I am pretty lucky when I come up north, my son and daughter both live close enough that I get to stay with them during the Dover events. My son is the motorcycle drag racer in the family and he has made both the first two races and is planning to be at the third. We will be looking foward to seeing you later on this year.

tomatohead
                                                            Participant

…. Tom no problem 😀 ,you know Mikey was headin’ this way and Maso 😀 was probably going to hitch a ride, so not to forget you ,you guys pretty much make up the “FLA DOVER FORCE” 😀 not to mention the sponsor “M&M SPEED ” and on that note hope all is right with Becky and Rich ❗

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.