TRACK LOCATION RECOGNITION IDEAS

Forums Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION TRACK LOCATION RECOGNITION IDEAS

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    dino
    Keymaster

OFFICIAL NOTICE ‘ From DDS.com Headquarters”
        It’s well known that Dover Drag Strip closed because of the economic conditions and the political pressures of the mid seventies. It seems these issues still exist today. I talked before about the “hurdles” involved in putting on a 50th Anniversary Dover Gathering at the track site – and these hurdles are the old familiar economics and politics. After months of trying, it is just not economically or politically possible to stage such an event at the track site. Hundreds of phone calls to everything from State -town and County officials to “private” sector ,come up short…No Help – no response-no follow-up calls from most contacted….Local -regional or national potential “sponsors” to finaince such an undertaking ,are stretched to the max, budget wise. The site is completely void of all the infrastrucure to support the idea, from power- bathrooms- physical condition of property-traffic issues -Sky high insurance -security costs-clean-up -town issues …and all would have to trucked in or supplied. Not to mention the bucks to put it into usable condition for one day. To promote Two Events ,back to back, one week apart ,aimed at the same participants almost got to sound like a good idea….then you think about ,the fact that -Hey, It really isn’t smart to run the Dover Guys all over …with many hauling from as far as Florida.Then two weeks after the Drags…ther’es the 21st Reunion At Big Als. Sounds like Too Much for too many to handle. So………, I am going to put all my energies into the 3rd Annual Nostalgia Drags at The Valley. One event – two themes! How about two t-shirts ?

………………………….Sorry …I tried….But ,once we get past the 3rd annual Drags…”after the smoke clears” …I’ll have time to plan our next “attack” on the agenda. Lot of personal -business and even family items have had to be addressed ,as I change hats on an hourly basis. Will send a Mass E-mail regarding this to all the registered guys…and figure you all can get the word out to those not familiar with the forum ….Just one round lost…back to the pits and open up the hood.

babycakes
        Participant

Dino,I know both you and Brian M.Have worked your ‘butts’ off,trying to get this off the ground,and believe me,I think I speak for ‘all’ ODF members,THANK YOU for all the tons of time and effort you guys had put into it! Yes,it is ‘very’ disappointing to us all,however,the way you explained it to us with all the ‘legal’ obstacles,not to mention the financial burden besides,it just wasn’t feasible,and both of you (and others that were involved),this is not the ‘end’,LOOK OUT Lebanon Valley for the “Dover’ 50th,it’ll go down in history!!!! Again Dino,I extend my THANK YOU for all the hard work you and others put into it.

tomblake
            Participant

I agree with Babycakes, very disapointing but do understand. The first race started out with one day than went to two days. It seemed like we might get more time to get around to all the people we read about and have raced with from the passed with the 50th only a week from the race.
                As far as all the effort, most of us will never know but thank you all for tring.
                When it first came up it didn’t seem possible to make both events till the dates were changed to a week apart. And I think most if not all the Florida people were going to make both and that’s one of the reasons the cancellation is disapointing. The answer to most disappointments lately seems to be “Well that’s racing” and a Dover dragracer sure understands that.
                See you all at the Valley.

tomatohead
                Participant

…….. well ,first there was the website 😀 and then there was the airport idea witch turned into the Dover Drags at Island Dragway for two years and now to a bigger track for a bigger race ❗ 😀 that we have now going into the 3rd event ❗ and hopefully that will be with us till the very end 😀 ❗ ….. I am sure I am not the only one who will miss the idea of having a car show at the old track but better luck next time 😀 … so thanks DINO for doin’ the race track deal at the Valley ❗ we will have that , looks like forever ❗ its ours and it looks like more then one track wants our race 😀 ………

realmongo
                    Participant

Thanks for trying Dino, it’s too bad your dream didn’t materialize.

dino
                        Keymaster

“Thats Racing”…..they’ll be another round and another day.I’m a little “ticked” too. Remember some car had on it:
                            “Sometimes the Bear gets you…sometimes you get the Bear”.

richcorti

I’m kind of new here – been around DDS since early 60’s- & from what I’ve seen there’s NO LACK OF EFFORT on Dino’s & probably others part.
                                Thanks

dino
                                Keymaster

Thanks Rich ….Oh Yeah…Dover Guys on The Move….Last week Roger & Pat had the their cars on display in Duchess…today Paul B. parked the Willys at Foxwoods and Ran it last week at Cecil County.

gaspumpchas
                                    Participant

Sorry this didn’t happen for the 50th—-Dino lets get together and hammer out the issues, wanna have another run at it?? Sure would like to compare notes……..Let me know…..I’m close by and could do some legwork….Cheers

Charlie Hulsizer

dino
                                        Keymaster

I’m getting with some NEW people- ‘after Nov. elections” ,if that gives you an idea of things….going back to my drawing board and and might have a completely differant twist for something at the old track location. Duchess County head cheese retiring.You vets might understand new battle plan.

dover1320

We must have something offical at the track site and Bring the Boys Home ! Brian.

dino
                                                Keymaster

yup…first thing I already got Approval for- is a “HIstorical” marker WE provide…. Need ‘someone” with Heavy equipment ,to place Large Boulder ? at entrance to affix Plaque to. . Right now theres NO evidence to general public and generations to come the track was even there. Could Be a Historical Marker on a pole, with about 150 lbs of cement base ,to insure it stays there.This will need some $ support….from “friends of the Track” Busines-private donors. Will get some figures together.

vbob
                                                    Participant
                                                        patina
                                                        Participant

How do I get a State Historic Marker?
                                                            A Summary History
                                                            Missing a Marker?
                                                            Guidelines for Maintenance
                                                            Historic Marker Text Inventory
                                                            Search for State Markers

Outreach :: State Historic Markers :: How do I Get a New York State Historic Marker?
                                                            The New York State Historic Marker Program started in 1926 as a way to commemorate historic sites during the Sesquecentennial of the American Revolution. It was a temporary program and state funding ended around 1939.

During this period, over 2,800 historic sites were identified for passersby with the bright blue and gold signs, which proclaimed the significance of each location. This was an age when the first tourists were venturing out into unfamiliar territory and were curious about the history of places they had never seen before.

Although a new State Historic Marker Program was established in 1966, concerns for the risk of trying to read small roadside markers in the emerging age of high speed automobile travel caused the State to focus only on large signs, installed at parking lots or roadside rest areas. These signs dealt with regional history, not individual sites. A booklet titled HISTORICAL AREA MARKERS IN NEW YORK STATE (1970, $4.50) presents the text and locations of these large markers and is available from the Museum Shop.

The popularity of the smaller, roadside markers continued, however, and people raised private funds to purchase and erect markers on all sorts of local historic sites. This activity seemed to reach a peak during the Bicentennial years (1976-1983), but local historians and civic groups continue to buy and erect such markers right to this day.

At present there is no review and approval process for historic markers if placed on private land. However, we urge anyone thinking of erecting an historic marker to first consult with local historians to insure that the text is accurate and the proposed location is correct.

The land owner’s permission is required, of course, before a sign can be erected. If the landowner is an agency of the State of New York, a formal approval process is required. Often the rights of way of state highways extend some distance from the edge of pavement, and one may find that the proposed location is, in fact, on state lands, even though it appears the land is private.

When it is found that state land is involved, the text and a map of the proposed location should be sent to the address below. We will notify the applicant in writing when the project is approved. They should then consult with the state agency that has jurisdiction over the land on which they propose to erect the marker, and once they have permission to erect the sign, they may order the sign from any foundry.

The phone numbers of foundries that have recently produced markers of the traditional pattern recognized as “State Historic Markers” are listed below. Other foundries can be found in the Yellow Pages or on the Internet.

——————————————————————————–

Foundries in New York State

Catskill Castings – (607) 538-1160
                                                            catscast@aol.com.

——————————————————————————–

We are creating a statewide database of all historic site markers of this type, regardless of funding source. We urge you to provide this office with copies of the text and location of each marker erected for that database, and also to the County Historian for the county in which the marker is erected. A list of the County Historians is available on this website at http://www.nysm.nysed.gov/services/historian/hishistorians.html.

Send inquiries to:
                                                            This program is on temporary hiatus, there is not a current contact person.
                                                            Historic properties may also qualify for other types of markers and plaques. If the property is listed on the National Reguster of Historic Places, a bronze plaque may be obtained to identify the site or building. If it is not presently listed, it may be worthwhile looking into that type of designation, since it carries with it some advantages and protections which the traditional State Historic Markers do not.

If you would like more information about the National Register of Historic Places, you may contact The State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation.

Identifying historic sites with permanent signs was a great new idea in 1926. It remains a good idea today and represents a popular and enduring form of historic preservation and cultural education.

babycakes
                                                            Participant

Question: Is there a ‘date’ factor (50-100 years old) in order to qualify for a State Historical Marker? If a ‘private’ marker is utilized (that the ODF supplies) what legal proceedures are involved to place it on;would it be like purchasing a cemetery plot,where it can never be domained by local government,or any private individual ? Would the towns-people have to approve it also? It’s a ‘great’ idea,however,be prepared,it may turn into,an ‘uphill’ battle to succeed,but still worth it I think.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.