Re: STORM KING MEMORIES / BLACK ARROW Mysteries

Forums Forums OLD RACE CAR LOCATOR STORM KING MEMORIES / BLACK ARROW Mysteries Re: STORM KING MEMORIES / BLACK ARROW Mysteries

storm-king

I knew most of you guys were still confused about which car is which.
      First, to answer your question 34gasser-65AWB, the Black Arrow in the background of that gasser picture is the original Black Arrow, the one owned by Doc Brugess, and driven on occasion by “Grumpy”. You should know that early funny cars were almost continually being modified. That wheelwell is just in transition as Doc had the wheelbase altered, but the fenderwell just cut enogh to get it to the next event. Shortly after, it was cut open to its final, more squared off configuration. In that picture it is still factory white. The Black Arrow also wore many, many different colors of paint in the years doc owned it. We sanded through them all getting it ready for our colors. Anyway, there is nothing confusing about the car in that picture, it is just going through its transition, and nothing is funny about how it fits a “timeline”. Incidently, that must be a pretty early picture as it still has “Jenkins Competition” in the Arrow flight. Later the car ran with Bill Stiles power. It also still has the original acid dipped doors on it and factory glass. I’d bet that pic was taken in early ’66.
      The ‘mystery’ car from my view is supposed to be the butchered up hulk of the Original car, not our clone. One or two pictures of this abondoned car folks think is the Arrow would solve the mystery, Bill and I can tell which cars are which. We’ll likely be in New York in January for the Dover event. If we find out where these cars are supposed to be located, we’ll put all this to rest for once and for all.