The Automobile Shop – Bedford Hills.N.Y.

Forums Forums SPEED SHOPS from Dover’s past The Automobile Shop – Bedford Hills.N.Y.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    dino
    Keymaster

Please Note Date of this First Post…Noticed The Shop needed to be included in The Speed Shop Heading.(moved it from “Where Are They Now”) From just A General Auto repair shop ..Bill & Ron ,expanded the Automobile Shop to include a full blown Speed Shop retail area in front with 5 mechanics bays in the rear.Drive on alignment -heli-arc welding -the works.At one time having three active racers as mechanics and doing tons of Race Car prep work.Worked closly with Richie Matoney and Bob Ingels.

Original post:
        Drake informed me Today that Bill Davitt, has made his last run. I worked with Bill and his partner Ronnie Scruletta at the Automobile Shop in Bedford Hills, N.Y. Bill was one we were trying to locate, and His obit. was just posted in the Westchester Journal …says Drake. He’s suvived by his wife, Deborah andson William. At one time Lee Valentine ,Willy Hormente and Bill ..all ran the red,white and blue cars with the Automoblle Shop name. Here’s a shot of Bill’s personal S/Stock Duster on the lawn in front of his Bedford Hills ,Automoblie Shop ,just after I painted and lettered it. . Bill supported many Racers and Even Dover, sponsoring events and even the Time Slip printing in the Seventies. We will miss him and I’ll find some photos to post .

Attachments:

vbob
        Participant

HEY
            found this up in the attic!

‘V’

Attachments:

dino
            Keymaster

Thanks V-Bob …You and I both seemed to lose a “good Buddie” this week. Well …Nobody can take our memories ….Glad we all have them ….our Racing family…..Gods ‘Speed’ ….someone invented that with the right word …Huh?

dino
                Keymaster

Bill’s Ad From the ’73-’74 Competition Elim. Meet Progam

Attachments:

dino
                    Keymaster

Here’s Lee’s ‘Auto Shop’ Camaro….Bill and Lee were running a black Camaro on Dover’s Last Day.

Attachments:

dino
                        Keymaster

Willy Hormente’s “Auto Shop” Camaro…..

Attachments:

dino
                            Keymaster

Just posted this in the “Guest Book” for Bill…….his funeral will be tomorrow (wed.) in New Baltimore,N.Y.

March 31, 2009
                                We All knew Your Dad well, from the old days Racing .I worked for him at The Automoblie Shop,and at Kelties. We have posted a Topic about him on the forum at http://www.doverdragstrip.com. Our prayers go out for you and the family . Dino and All the ‘Dover Guys’ at the website.
                                ~ Dean Lawrence, Rockingham, North Carolina

thekidd312

good by bill you will be missed. it just shows you we are all getting old . lets enjoy life now. make the Nostalgia Dragsat island…and Reunion In danbury.

dino
                                    Keymaster

First (so Far)and only shot of Al Manchester’s Nova.Notice chrondek Tree.(1974)Lee remembers this one .was Davitt’s first. Tripped over these shots in the ‘Jungle George “pile of Hawthorne Auto Parts photos.

Attachments:

dino
                                        Keymaster

Another from George (Hawthorne Auto) Davitt squares of with Ralph Feola. Poor quality,BUT better than nothin…Saving the action !

Attachments:

georgedreisch

Got dredging around trying to remember names and such from the past, and stumbled into this place! Seeing lots of familar names that I had forgotten. Guess a reintroduction is in order. I’m George Dreisch, I worked at Millers Auto Parts in the machine shop for a time, was a shithole, 1977? then worked for Bob Ingles at J&B Auto in Katonah with Gary Bard and later, Lee Valentine. Ended up unassing the area ’bout 1980, as legally it seemed prudent. Some ya’ll might remember my father, John Dreisch, was a cop for Bedford Hills PD up till -78 I think, he worked with Joe Hanraddi,(spelling?) who was a regular at the Automobile Shop.

dino
                                                Keymaster

George ! …Welcome aboard…Millers ! Yes …When I worked At The Automobile Shop…We’d call for Parts…They’de ask what color the Seats where? Remember Hanratty the Cop…Ran a Nova At Dover…I did some Cool murals on a 56 chevy Sedan Delivery he had…My drinking buddie out of uniform…then the next day he’d pull me over. Glad I don’t drink anymore.

dino
                                                    Keymaster

Dave Pasello just called.His Dad Ray worked in the shop as a mechanic.Had a passion for Alfa Romeos. Dave worked with me in the front speed shop after school.He’s been a Mt.Kisco Cop for the past 28 years,and actually bought his present home from Ronnie the partner to Bill Davitt in the place. Both Ron & Bill are passed away ….BUT former mechanic and welder extroidinair ,Jerry Phelps, that was also a mechanic is Still around. Dave see’s him all the time driving his 30’s coupe on the street. Next time he see’s him , he’s gona tell him about the site……never know who’s gonna call next.

lee-valentine

Hi. Dave remember our trip to Pamona,We sure had some good times those days. Hope all is well,Lee.

dino
                                                            Keymaster

Lee…I’ll pass that info along to him.Don’t think he’s registered yet…Watch your speed in “Kisco” 😆

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.