us mule

Forums Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION us mule

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    kevin-higham

after four years.im finally getting started restoreing the mule
        can any body tell me if it was a direct drive or what tranny it had
        thanks kevin

patina
        Participant

New guy here just might be able to answer that. He’s Pete Shields and is in Albany. Youtwo should PM each other.

Pat (The other MG)

dino
            Keymaster

Pete not on the Forum…BUT the original Restorer of the Mule IS… AlleyOpp Bob Swanson-Ridgefield.

SEE:
                http://www.doverdragstrip.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=835&hilit=mule&start=10

004_4

Again …Its ALL HERE Someplace …USE THE SEARCH FEATURE !
                AND FOR ALL OF YOU THAT DIDN’T CONNECT THE DOTS:
                by kevin higham ยป Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:41 am
                hi all joined the site few weeks back thought i would tell ya where the mule is ( good job !!!!! ) lots of questions and pics to come thanks kevin

kevin-higham

i bought the car from bob unrestored ( great guy) but lost his phone number
                    it appears that maybe Don sold the car to a group of guys named Prock, shaver and driver Mike Hayes
                    it ran B/A and was painted by Breault
                    the car was named DEGUELLO ring a bell with anybody
                    thanks

patina
                    Participant

Keven last time I saw the “Mule” was in 97 at the Dover reunion at Marcus Dairy and your right about the name, you can not so clearly see it on the door in this picture. I had just gotten my MG a few weeks before the reunion and just bolted it together so I could bring it to the reunion. Are you planning on making a pass with the car or just a static display?

Pat

Attachments:

kevin-higham

yes i plan on running the car as fast we can ,based on the original chassie
                            the blown / injected 92 is done, trying to decide to use a can or not
                            sound like fun ?

babycakes
                            Participant

Kevin,I was there also,like Pat.in ’97’,at the Dover Reunion,at Marcus Dairy.Looking at the ole “Mule”s roll bar (back then) sure looked ‘scarey’ for the speed it went! I guess we’ve come a long way since,with roll cages,and ‘double’ bars over your head for protection.Good luck,and have fun with your ‘Mule’ restoration! ๐Ÿ™‚

dino
                                Keymaster

Ta-DA…The Man himself! Don Noyes with the ORIGINAL MULE

Attachments:

usmule

Hi sports fans:

Pete Shields here. Since I was ratted out already as being a contact for info on the US MULE II, I thought I’d better get on the task. To tee y’all up, I just got off the phone with Don Noyes.

Couldn’t get into much as he had company to watch the Indy race and they were waiting out a rain delay. I relayed what was going on in the Forum and how some misconceptions need correction. I told him the MG was now on the left coast; a fact he was aware of. I told him the car was in process of restoration. Don commented that restorations had already been done and, GET THIS, no one has ever contacted him for a list of what was done to the car and what parts were hung on it. HE IS WILLING TO MAKE OUT SUCH A LIST. Can’t get much better than that.

Regarding some stray comments regarding the authenticity of the shell being a TD, it is. I am unsure what characteristics are being scrutinized, but that is a for sure TD. Please note the distance from the dash bubbles to the replacement firewall, then compare it to the photo taken at Marcus Dairy. See that the cowl has been trimmed back to about where the windshield reflection is on the cowl on Pat’s MG. This trim-off runs straight down to the end of the body and eliminates the original “knee” in the cowl profile. Now, being an ODF, with emphasis on the “O”, my recollection is not that it was direct drive (for sure), but was….(wait for it)….a Cad-LaSalle gearbox. Rear end could have been Olds, I will find out about that later tonight.

Don had a very good friend who built manual shifting hydros (Ron Scott of Scott Hydros) who was always on Don’s case to go Hydro, citing losing a half car length each time one hits the clutch. Actually, I think that was a conservative estimate, since a car going 60 mph covers 88 ft. in one second. If the clutch-in time was 0.1 seconds, the car would have gone about a half car length and the clutch pedal would have to have moved about 8 inches down, reversed direction, and returned another 8 inches. Seems like a lot of travel for a tenth second so I’m thinking Ron Scott was onto something there. BTW, Scottie is still on the green side and I’ll talk to him shortly, as well. In the event few recall Ron, since I don’t recall a lot of activity at Dover on his part, he ran a Willys, Cad powered with (of course) a Scott Hydro and a Jimmy 6-71.

All for now, Pete Shields

dino
                                        Keymaster

Wow You have a way with words…RON SCOTT ? yeah he made it to Dover …heres some shots of his altered….all the way to the Peat Bog at the end of the shut down area,running againsrt Gene Terenzio

Attachments:

kevin-higham

i am shocked ,its not for personal gain but for the gain of the sport
                                                been out of town for three days then checked the website what a thrill looks like i have help putting this car back togeather
                                                and finding the right place to let every body enjoy it
                                                look forward to being able to talk to any body who replied
                                                thanks;kevin

maso
                                                Participant

Dino…

Add it to the Regestry…?

kevin-higham

tell me more about the regestry
                                                        kevin

dino
                                                        Keymaster

Kevin …Just Added ya to it! …see ‘View Active Topics’ or search “Registry” I’m confused…Who’s Pete Sheilds ? Got two differant user names andtwo differant e-mails.??? Kevin Or Pete have the Mule ?

maso
                                                            Participant
                                                                quote kevin higham:

tell me more about the regestry
                                                                kevin

Kevin…

I got the idea almost two years ago to create a “Registry” of all the Dover Drag Strip cars that still exiist either as “project cars”, or have been restored or recereated. Dino liked my idea and it has been a big sucess around here. Go see for yourself at: http://www.doverdragstrip.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2374&p=28981#p28981

I wish I could do a page on each one with before and current pictures and a summary of it’s owners and it’s history. I wanted to do it at my own web address and link to it but I don’t have the resources for that.

The list just keeps growing and I think that it’s good to have this regisrty here for posterity sake.

Go check it out.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.