Re: GREAT CHEATER STORIES

Forums Forums BENCH RACING FROM THE PAST GREAT CHEATER STORIES Re: GREAT CHEATER STORIES

storm-king

Maybe so for a lot of guys; I know it wouldn’t happen out of our house. Our ’64 max wedge was about as stock as it could be; it wasn’t even balanced or blueprinted. It had a (legal) Isky cam as I recall, 4:56 gears, a recurved distributor, and headers. That was it.
      Our second car, the ‘Arrow, was a known national player, and to my knowledge was a legal motor, although we didn’t run it in any stock classes, so there was a lot of latitude there. when we blew up the Stiles motor, john Lundberg got us a Ramchargers motor; we drove to their shop in Michiagan to pick it up. It was a legal S/S motor as well, designed for national competition.
      I think some of the other guys were cheatin’, like maybe the Arouora7 guys who had a stroker Willys gasser with a max wedge and a ’63 super stocker. They were never at the track the same weekend and the S/S’er ran really fast so I suspect it had the gasser mill in it. I think that was the team Tim Richards was with back then; anyone know for sure? Hank Taylor’s Obsession was another fast car, and it smelled funny, too. He wrecked it when he put the ten inch tires on it. it was fast with 7’s, but with the 10’s it was pulling the front wheels, something that didn’t happen much back then with a full bodied S/S’er. I have video of it after the wreck; it broke my heart, that was such a beautiful car.
      Kind of off topic but something that always amazes me is; of all the pictures folks took back in the day, so many of them are all junky old tri five Chevies The Mopar and Ford S/S cars were jewels in comparison, and faster than probably 9/10’s of all the gasser tri fives, to boot.