GREAT CHEATER STORIES

Forums Forums BENCH RACING FROM THE PAST GREAT CHEATER STORIES

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 69 total)
  • Author
    billy-casey

Yes Dino,, but not for a while 👿 . Billy

quote dinotheweirdo:

ED PROUT ………..I WIN………………not That Cleaver-He got caught
        dino
        Keymaster

MATTY WINSPUR ! A STAR at this stuff…so much so ,that he and Clifford Thorp we’re Banned From NHRA for ten years…Seemed NHRA couldn’t ‘Find” factory specs on a ’54 Hudson Jet .BUT no problem The two printed there own! Had what they called “the Argentina Export Kit” option- Nascar cam, pistons and Carb.THAT was only available REALLY on the HORNET full sized car.(See Cars Movie-‘Doc’) And when He took me and my brother to a record run at Englishtown with his “Fabulous Hudson Hornet” Q/S ….seemed he was a “little light” …so for the back-up run we installed the radio back in the dash .I was loaded with Bricks and put back on ,the bumper guards, filled with lead… he laughed all the way back to Ct, with his record.

bob-lasko
            Participant

Not to mention names, but there was a modified Camaro that ran at Dover in the early 70’s, that the rear of the roll bar was filled with lead shots. Do not know if he ever got caught.

Bob the “Foot”

SS/CS

vbob
                Participant

Hey,
                    Ole (lead) Ed has a bike shop on rt 6 near the old New departure bldg. in Bristol,Ct.

‘V’Bob

dino
                    Keymaster

Camaro…there were HUNDREDS Names ! we need Names 😉 statue of limitations is UP. Except for old tickets in Yonkers.

randy-fish
                            quote video Bob:

Hey,
                            Ole (lead) Ed has a bike shop on rt 6 near the old New departure bldg. in Bristol,Ct.

‘V’Bob

Bristol, huh? My mom grew up on Race Street in Bristol with her two sisters who still live in town. Their house was across the parking lot from New Departure. I grew up in East Hartford and we used to visit my beloved little Italian grandmother every weekend. When I was a kid, I just used to think it was cool to live on Race Street. But when I got older, I made the connection — New Departure manufactured ball bearings (their slogan was “Nothing Rolls Like a Ball”) and bearings spin in a race. Ahh, the memories.

gene-terenzio-sr
                            Participant

25th anniversary US Nationals, they were still running pro-comp, I just got my Donovan motor ,was running AA/A, I was pitted across from big name BB/FC from Fl. he makes a pass and finds out what cyl they are P&Ging, he takes his motor apart and puts 7 oversize sleeves in it , leaves the right one in the cyl they are going to test. got away with it too. lo and behold karma caught up to him too. 😡

storm-king

O.K., when did Ed Prout run a big block Chevy? He ran Ford’s near as I remember. He ran a big block Ford altered at Dover. He had one good set of heads, and would use fresh out of the junk yard short blocks under them, which he went through (blew up) with some regularity. He later ran a pro stock Ford Maveric, which I think NHRA asked him not to bring back after he oiled down the divisional races a few times.

dino
                                    Keymaster

Good thing nobody cheated in Pro or Super Stock ….Huh Gary ??? nah… not at Dover the Yonkers & Eastchester Boys were always legal right ?

billy-casey

almost every stocker from Eastchester should have bein in mod/prod. or gas , believe me , I worked on alot of them… cams, ported heads , high comp. pistons etc. always a top secret like … some of these cars were brand new … came from oak hill chev. to my shop … what a joke… 😮 😮 😆 😆 😈 😈

dino
                                            Keymaster

The TRUTH is Out ….cheaters running cheaters But everybody did what they could get away with…Where did ya work on ’em ? “Casey Engineering”? was ?……

storm-king

Maybe so for a lot of guys; I know it wouldn’t happen out of our house. Our ’64 max wedge was about as stock as it could be; it wasn’t even balanced or blueprinted. It had a (legal) Isky cam as I recall, 4:56 gears, a recurved distributor, and headers. That was it.
                                                    Our second car, the ‘Arrow, was a known national player, and to my knowledge was a legal motor, although we didn’t run it in any stock classes, so there was a lot of latitude there. when we blew up the Stiles motor, john Lundberg got us a Ramchargers motor; we drove to their shop in Michiagan to pick it up. It was a legal S/S motor as well, designed for national competition.
                                                    I think some of the other guys were cheatin’, like maybe the Arouora7 guys who had a stroker Willys gasser with a max wedge and a ’63 super stocker. They were never at the track the same weekend and the S/S’er ran really fast so I suspect it had the gasser mill in it. I think that was the team Tim Richards was with back then; anyone know for sure? Hank Taylor’s Obsession was another fast car, and it smelled funny, too. He wrecked it when he put the ten inch tires on it. it was fast with 7’s, but with the 10’s it was pulling the front wheels, something that didn’t happen much back then with a full bodied S/S’er. I have video of it after the wreck; it broke my heart, that was such a beautiful car.
                                                    Kind of off topic but something that always amazes me is; of all the pictures folks took back in the day, so many of them are all junky old tri five Chevies The Mopar and Ford S/S cars were jewels in comparison, and faster than probably 9/10’s of all the gasser tri fives, to boot.

dino
                                                    Keymaster

OPPS now he’s done it about junky Tri-fives…lets be nice now guys

gene-terenzio-sr
                                                        Participant

Well I can say that we never cheated ,Matter of fact every time we reset the record they made us take the head off, and measured the cyl bore and the stroke.and we made sure we were always five to ten lbs. heavier. 🙂 😉

masracingtd1167
                                                            Participant

I remember when John Pramer started racing he had a big block nova 396 that he ran in stock only it had a 454 instead. to make matters worse once he would go through inspection he would take off the quadrajet and put on a big holley carb . one week he beat the national record holder for the trophy. this guy comes over to John and tells him to open his hood because he knows he’s cheating . when John asks him why he tells him i’me the national record holder and you just went 10 mph faster than the record so I know your cheating . of course John refuses and goes home . the next sunday John shows up running a/mp.I don’t know who the guy he was running against but he must have really been ticked off that next sunday.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 69 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.