Re: STORM KING MEMORIES / BLACK ARROW Mysteries

Forums Forums OLD RACE CAR LOCATOR STORM KING MEMORIES / BLACK ARROW Mysteries Re: STORM KING MEMORIES / BLACK ARROW Mysteries

storm-king-2

Ahh, where do I start. First, I am glad to know who has the car. It really served us well, went straight went under the record several times, and was pretty low maintainance. If there is any doubt that it is the clone I can tell you a few places to look. It never had a dana when I ran it. Also I don’t believe the leaf springs were the standard hemi springs. It didn’t leave the line like most hemi cars. Typically the whole body would rise evenly. On the Arrow & the clone they sat nose low, & the nose came up more than the rear on acceleration. While the other hemi cars were raising up, it would jump out a car length while the front was coming up. Lord I would like to experience that again!! It had a street hemi in it when I sold it to Doc. I put a rod out the side of the block on the original motor at Conn. Dragway. We replaced it with a Ramchargers engine, built by Dan Knapp. John “the Voice of Drag Racing” Lundberg talked Dan into selling us another customers engine ( just found that out this year). When I originally bought the car from Doc I got everything pertaining to the car. The fibreglass was on the car, but I also got all of the original acid dipped factory sheet metal, & both the cross ram & carbs, & the Hilborn that was on it. (will post photo’s of the day we picked it up soon) When Doc put the glass doors on the car they used the window frames off the factory doors. When I built the clone I bought a clean set of doors from Jerry Stein (Teachers Pet). Sold the originals to somebody out west. I believe the Hilborn went to someone in Oregon, so unless Doc had a second set ??? Now when Doc decided to sell the clone,my former partner Richie Walsh bought it. Richie then bought my share of the Tritak motor that was in our Pro Stock Duster, & dropped it in the clone with the original cross ram, & aluminum heads. He may have put the 4 spd out of the Duster in it, I don’t know as I had moved to Tn. He only tried to run it a couple of times then sold it. Over the years since then my brother would get a lead on who had the car, but that was before the inter-net. Thats the rough history as I know & remember it. If there is anything I can help you with just let me know & I’ll do what I can. By the way, have you talked to Richie Walsh or Doc Burgess as they have both owned that car also. I bet doc has some interesting stories about on the street.

Bill Smrtic