18th Dover Reunion-Give Credit

Forums Forums DANBURY DOVER REUNION News / Notes / Photos 18th Dover Reunion-Give Credit

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    bobby-s

All those reunions to remember the good old day of drag racing. Hope they can find a spot to keep it going, with Marcus Dairy closing for rebuilding this fall!!! and no sure plans for the cruse & reunion to come back there it is a shame to loose all these fun time events. Last night (Aug 16th) was NETO @ Marcus Dairy night. Even the quick down pour rain shower did not dampen? The fun.
        Paul was there with the “Dover Willys” along with the Wilko Brother – yep same crew from the 60’s with their blown gassers, now with an AWESOME Wipple super charged 351 HEMI Monza, just to name a few members of the 15 NETO members who showed up. The Wilkos, Paul and other members did the “NETO CACKLE FEST” everyone there loved it. Anyone who goes to Marcus Dairy for this last cruse season there – or the 18th Dover Reunion PLEASE make it a point to find Mark & Grover and THANK them for keeping the Dover Drag strip memory going. They do a lot of work putting the event together and giving the local racers some place to rekindle the memory of the past.
        Any one who remembers Dover and comes to the cruise always mention that Mark & Grover have KEPT the memory going. The word DOVER would only relate to a small town in up state NY if not for there hard work. Dino this site makes all there work come alive and a thank you should go to them when anyone see’s them.
        See ya’s all at the Reunion.

Bobby Schlegel

dino
        Keymaster

Bobby’s SO right…..I moved away in ’93..missed most Reunions. And missed seeing some that are no longer with us. Have only recently got back in touch with “Smokey”and “Grover”. Thats 15 years I’ve been in N.C. and they have worked hard over the years. Should have done this site a long time ago. When did we have the internet back then ,though? We have hopefully pumped the word out about the reunion through the world wide web including posting on every forum we could find. From Pontiac Zone, Jalopy Journal, Competition Plus, DragList, Corral, DragStuff, DragRace Results, NETO, Sites for Chevelles, Mustangs, Gassers, Nostalgia Drag Racing, Racing News, CSRA and a bunch more I forget, the posting is on 26 sites reaching over Half million forum members ! .Plus we sent out direct mail to every club address we could find in N.Y. and Conn. and also sent press releases to 11 newspapers. . Smokey and Grover might not be aware of the scope of the internet .We hope it makes a differance ,Hey ,,,I’m even still working on a plan to show up. You guys are all over AND can help keep it going. TRY offering your help and getting envolved as “associates” to assist those TWO ,thay have a lot to do! .”How can I help” goes a long way. Heres First hurdle …find a Free ,donated location that benefits the owner…MOROSO has offered their whole place BUT it’s really out of the way in Guilford, Dan Emerson says “I can Make it Happen” so there’s support maybe not in the location BUT?—TITLE SPONSOR To pay for Expenses ?…Brian M. is scouting the actual Wingdale-Dover area…WHAT WE REALLY need is a “planning commitee and plan.” Take all your resources, pool them together and HIT THE NEW OWNER OF THE PROPERTY (Dover) with a offer he CAN’T refuse ! That’s just my idea…or find out how owns property on both sides, accross the street??? Smokey and Grover can’t do it alone so use the Reunion as a time to get together and “Plan the Attack” You’ll all be at the same place at the same time. IT’s their deal and no stepping on toes! WE have a lot of talent and “business sense and planning ” with The Dover guys …gained over the years ….Lets Do It !

dover1320

Hey- Brian here. I have a friend who is D.J. on a local radio station that does swinging 60’s music. I called him for a request, and I told him to mention the dover reunion, so he did, and he was fired up about it. He reminisced about his times there. If you were wondering what song I was requesting it was, “Friday on my mind” by the Easy Beats, from 1965. Remember that one? It was good to hear D.D.S. on the radio. For those who are interested, I am putting together a winter meet at the old Gene’s 1900, the place where, you showed them the trophy you won from the track, you got a free beer. Smoky used to do a winter get together, but the place he used, got too expensive. Every time I’m in Wingdale, I stop in there for a beer, then pull a big hole shot in front of the track. I have some good places lined up including, Wingdale, for shows in the future if needed.

Brian “The Historian” Marasco

maso
                Participant

Someone should do a video documentary on this. I’d like to have that on a DVD.

dino
                    Keymaster

Sounds like a job for “Video Bob” “…able to leap tall dvd’s in a single bound , faster than a speeding golf cart. who disguised as a mild nannered truck driver…….” oh well, you get the idea.

maso
                        Participant
                            quote dinotheweirdo:

Sounds like a job for “Video Bob” “…able to leap tall dvd’s in a single bound , faster than a speeding golf cart. who disguised as a mild nannered truck driver…….” oh well, you get the idea.

You’ve got guys working on an historical account now anyway… put all those resources together and make something comprehensive out of it. Don Gillepsie did that for Mickey Thompson’s Lions Drag Strip already. Go see: http://www.lionsvideo.com and let me know what you think. I will stay tuned.

If there is anybody here in South Florida to be interviewed for material… I could be your contact point. I think that Billy Lagana is here, maybe others.

dino
                            Keymaster

We still have our Ace historians to check in with some remarkable stuff. Seems most video available is from old (Bad) 8mm, converted and isn’t too great to view. Am in the process of compiling some surprises, so be patient.

dino
                                Keymaster

Latest ‘Gossip’ is Marcus plans to rebuild into “Mini-Mall” are NOT Finalized and May not do at all…with the economy and empty storefronts still vacant in the big Danbury Mall. So who knows? I have a call into the Town of Dover “Historian” , Donna Hearn. Awaiting a response. Wingdale is in The Town of Dover, They used to have ‘Dover Days’, a local “Fun-Day” festival. Hey, youd’e be surprised how these townships can tap into “grants’ or their own budget for historical programs…State & Federal. Waiting to see her Response. IT could be totally finainced with ‘other peoples money” Especially if you put in the mix, “title Sponsor” and associate sponsors.

wanna shake her tree ??? write to: historian@townofdover.us

dino
                                    Keymaster

Don’t want to “jump the Gun’ …Remember , Marcus still has to make a decision. Where ever it is …IT’s ALWAYS the “Smokey & Grover Show”. Like a forum member told me. “I HAVE to believe ,This WILL NOT be last Reunion”.

randy-fish
                                            quote dinotheweirdo:

Latest ‘Gossip’ is Marcus plans to rebuild into “Mini-Mall” are NOT Finalized and May not do at all…with the economy and empty storefronts still vacant in the big Danbury Mall. So who knows? I have a call into the Town of Dover “Historian” , Donna Hearn. Awaiting a response. Wingdale is in The Town of Dover, They used to have ‘Dover Days’, a local “Fun-Day” festival. Hey, youd’e be surprised how these townships can tap into “grants’ or their own budget for historical programs…State & Federal. Waiting to see her Response. IT could be totally finainced with ‘other peoples money” Especially if you put in the mix, “title Sponsor” and associate sponsors.

wanna shake her tree ??? write to: historian@townofdover.us

The cities of Long Beach and also, Escondido, have annual street fair-type car shows that bring lots of dollars to their coffers. Each one also features vintage front-engine AA/FDs cackling in all their glory to delight the crowds. Granted, historical Top Fuel cars aren’t in every other garage back there, but with the proper support (and scheduling) it could turn into a really neat deal. If you can, forward Donna Hearn’s complete mailing info to: editorial@dragracermag.com with DOVER in the Subject line, and I’ll send her a back issue with my Long Beach (Bixby Knolls Dragster Fest) coverage. Maybe that’ll get her attention 💡

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.