29th Dover Reunion NOW part of Event

Forums Forums NOSTALGIA DRAGS 11th ANNUAL DOVER DRAG STRIP NOSTALGIA DRAGS 2019 29th Dover Reunion NOW part of Event

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    dino
    Keymaster

The Dover Drag Strip Nostalgia Drags / Time Tunnel Rod & Custom Show has Added A new Feature ! . We Are NOW the Date & Location of the ORIGINAL DOVER DRAG STRIP REUNION. This Will Be the 29th year The REUNION As an event will be held AND continued. All Former Dover Cars and veterans will become part of our DOVER ORIGINALS display With A separate Display of Reunion Memorabilia right next to the Goodie Booth. The Mastrianni Family & James Grove Are on board to make the Reunion Go On. “The Longest Running Drag REUNION in the Country”…”KEEPING THE MEMORIES ALIVE” First One In 1991 in Danbury…

No photo description available.
        dino
        Keymaster

Mark ‘Smokey” Mastrianni Remembered ….He inspired us all with his Dover Drag Strip Reunions, starting in 1991 in Danbury,Ct. If it wasn’t for his vision to revive Dover ,with his sidekick, James ‘Grover’ Grove, Dover would have been forgotten. The Dover Drag Strip Website & Forum ( online in 2008) is testament to that.The Reunions sparked the Dover Gang to go Racing Again , creating the first Dover Drag Strip Nostalgia Drags in 2008 At Island Dragway. Mark Was a Member of the Danbury Modifiers .They First Raced at Montgomery Airport ,with their Club Car ‘Alley Oop’. Mark ran his Street and Strip ’55 chevy gasser. You see, if it wasn’t for Mark, there would have been no Dover Drag Strip. One sunday , around ’59 or ’60,he took a Gas Station owner (Chet Anderson )from Brookfield,Ct. to the Track. Chet wandered around taking notes ,while Mark ran his car. He was so impressed by this new Drag Racing Thing sweeping the counrty,he had an idea. Upon returning home,he began the planning for Dover in Wingdale,N.Y. In 1961,Dover opened with overwelming success. The stands were packed and the roads were clogged. Mark became Chets first Manager,with fellow Modifiers club members as ‘officials’. Thats where Smokey met James Grove (Grover) . Grover was the first paid entry to track and still has the ticket stub to prove it. Mark brought him on later to run Tech,where thier partnership evolved .Mark Ran His ’55 on opening day and went on to build a Henry J Gasser. So “Grandpa Dover” he is…actually the founding father contributer to the Dover Saga, starting a never ending rememberance to this day.I First met Mark at my Summer Cruise Night in Bethel,Ct. way back in 1981. I saw this guy walking around with a Dover Drag Strip Jacket ,that said Manager. Who was this Guy? When I came on board at Dover to announce in ’67,Mark had left the racing scene in around ’65,to raise and take care of his wonderfull family. I approuched him and got an earfull of Dover History. He knew everyone. He came to Cruise night every week with his’ 59 chevy,along with his fellow club members, the Danbury Rod & Customs. That Club Started The Dover Reunions ,now the longest running Track reunion in the country.Over the years he and his family have become regulars at the Dover Drag Strip Nostalgia Drags,even some racing….Sons -daughters ,in laws …theres a bunch. We regularly would talk on the phone,with Mark keeping me updated on all the Dover Guys. I’l always remember his always positive attitude, smile and infectious chuckle. They Don’t make many like Mark..

Image may contain: 2 people, car and outdoor

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.