32ZOOM

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    randy-fish

This whole thing started in the fourth grade when I saw an article about the Bay Area Roadsters club from San Francisco. I was hooked on ’32 Ford highboy roadsters and wanted one ever since. Back in 2000, I had the opportunity to purchase a rolling chassis and ($orry, non-$teel) body. It was all mocked up, but nothing had been chromed — the axle, hairpins, triangulated four link and all was still bare steel. The custom Deuce Factory chassis was stretched four inches, pinched 5-1/2 inches, and the horns were lopped off (a look that I wasn’t fond of until I saw this thing).

Well, in November of 2002, 32ZOOM made its debut as one of eight cars invited into the Las Vegas Hilton’s Grand Ballroom during the SEMA Show for the Street Rod Marketing Alliance Reception. Then, in January of 2003, I hauled it to San Mateo and entered the Grand National Roadster Show, the last year it was held up north. CLASS WINNER! That was really a surprise, as Roy Brizio had a few cars in the ’28–’32 Hot Rod Highboy category, and all the entrants were top notch.

Since then, I’ve put a little over 6,000 miles on the clock and use it as a stress releiver. Gabe Lopez did the Connolly leather interior (and trunk), Marcel did the aluminum hood, and it’s got a Ramjet 350 with a 700R4, and a fabricated 9-inch Ford rear with 3.70:1 gears. It’s painted House of Kolor “Ultra Orange Pearl” over a white base with striping by Phil Whetstone. Hey, it only took about 40 years, but like they say, “All good things in time.”

The photo credit goes to Robert Genat, as it appeared in his coffee table book entitled, “75 Years of the ’32 Ford.” Oh yeah, the one-off Fish Fin grille shell ornament was machined by Bob Ida at Ida Automotive in Morganville, New Jersey.

Attachments:

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.