ARMONK SONOCO-Bob Ingles place Armonk,N.Y.

Forums Forums SPEED SHOPS from Dover’s past ARMONK SONOCO-Bob Ingles place Armonk,N.Y.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    dino
    Keymaster

by donkauer on Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:52 pm

Armonk Sunoco was our best spot………Owned by Bob Ingles (I worked there) and 90% of our work was performance: gears, headers, heads, cams.ignition etc……..By 6 or 7 every night we would be setting up street races for the evening at one of our 4 makeshift dragstrips……… By 9 PM there would be sometimes 15 to 20 cars waiting to run..They came from all over: White Plains, Yonkers, The Bronx, Greenwich etc. etc. We had our own flagmen and spotters…Some awesome runs……….More to come………………..Don………..donkauer
        ——————————————————————————–

by donkauer on Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:01 pm

More Armonk Sunoco………………………………….Lee and Tom V. would stop by from time to time but they had a drag strip a half mile from the house……Columbus Ave. by Rose Hill Shoppping Ctr. In Thornwood, N.Y….The Mt. Kisco guys( LaRegina, Cersena, Joe Lombardo, Willie Harmony (RIP) Alfred E, and more would be at the Goody Shop at any given night..We usually ran them on Bishops Flats, a road that connected Armonk to Mt. Kisco……LaRegina was the standout always..We had Byram Lake Rd. in Armonk with markers for the starting line and a white stripe painted across the road for the finish line..The Armonk crew had at least 2 dozen really hot cars and it generated a lot of action in the surrounding towns…We also had King St. at Westchester Airport where the Silver Lake and White Plains Boys would show up a lot…Mr. Sachs was a frequent visitor…Ingles ran Stu Silverman ( 64 GTO 421 factory car) there one night and beat him with the A/S 62 409. ………………………..Don………….

dino
        Keymaster

by donkauer on Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:00 am

John…………….The Goat I’m talking about was from Elmsford and Labriola set up the run……He told us it was a 421 with aluminum bumpers etc………I guessed the name was Silverman…….Same car???????? Ingles andI would frequent the White Castle and run on the then new 95……..Also MacDonalds in Mamaroncek on the Post Road………………Don……donkauer
            King of the Hill

by dinotheweirdo on Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:31 pm

‘Stu” Silverman…ADAMS PONTIAC…Then later with a GTO called “Respect’…Photos In Our ODF Galleries

rogercallard

It’s SUNoco. The Royal Plum lives!!!!!! “One of 4 makeshift dragstrips”, huh? One of them wouldn’t happen to have been that stretch of 684 just South of Armonk before it was opened and was still called 87, would it?

dino
                Keymaster

Bishops Flats…legendary back to the 50’s and before 684 opened …curious black burn-out marks attributed to LaRegina’s altered.We could hear him way up in Katonah -late at night. Roger ….Welcome …say Hi at New Guys .

don-kauer

The last time any of our Armonk crew saw the Plum it was based out of Brooklyn and the new owner was running it at National Speedway…………His name was Alan LaFoe……………That was one hell of a street car….We had people coming to Armonk just to see the car………………..Don……

bobrizzi

Don 66′ Chevelle / I just had a good friend of mine stop over who is restoring a 70′ b/b Chevelle, Bobby’s name came up where is he now ? RIZ~~~

don-kauer

Bob is doing Ford Pro Stock motors for Robert Patrick NHRA and IHRA……Also for a few customers in Europe………Nothing else……70 years old and in great shape…We stay in touch , usually twice a month………………..If your friend needs an engine done your best bet is RCE Machine in New Milford Ct……………Top shelf work, good price and nice people……..You won’t go wrong there…………..Don…….

patina
                                Participant
                                    quote bobrizzi:

Don 66′ Chevelle / I just had a good friend of mine stop over who is restoring a 70′ b/b Chevelle, Bobby’s name came up where is he now ? RIZ~~~

Riz what is the 70 BB Chevelle your friend is restoring? I sold my Arizona 396/350hp 4speed white car to some one in the NY/CT area.

Pat

bobrizzi

He heard Bobby was up in Dutchess somewhere could not track him down .Thanks, Riz~~

bobrizzi
                                            quote patina:

quote bobrizzi:

Riz what is the 70 BB Chevelle your friend is restoring? I sold my Arizona 396/350hp 4speed white car to some one in the NY/CT area.

Pat

Pat,
                                            A 70′ ground up 402,car came from Iowa and was Black.He is doing a total restoration.He heard Bobby was doing blocks.He used to run a 65′ Chevelle at Dover.

don-kauer

No more engine work except fo those few customers…RCE is the place to go…I have all the info if you need it…..If he needs other work RCE can also do some chassis work…Suspension, frame work, roll bar etc. but space is limited….Heavy chassis work you would use Bob LaRegina at Valley Chassis….(in the some complex as Ingles)………………Don……

bobrizzi

THANKS RIZ~~

bobby-s

Valley Chassis is the last building on the right on Commerace St.
                                                        pass J&B driveway,
                                                        when you get to the fence’d gate at the end
                                                        look to the right
                                                        Mr. LaRegina’s building

J&B is the first driveway on the right as soon as you make the turn onto
                                                        Commerace St.
                                                        last garage door on that building on the left
                                                        as you drive down to the end.

speedbump
                                                        Participant

I believe bob has an engine shop in laGrange n.y Around the corner from bob laregina. I’ll try to get more info. mike

bobby-s

Bob

if you know how to get through poughkeepsie,
                                                                to rte 55 and the Noxon Rd intersection you are there.
                                                                I put his location in my info above,
                                                                Bob’s engine shop is on Commerace St.
                                                                as is Bobby LaRegina Valley Chassis,
                                                                Ingles shop is in the first driveway on the right
                                                                all the way at the end,
                                                                and LaRegina is the last building on the right at
                                                                the end of the road.

best part there is a Credit Union right on the corner also
                                                                just in case we need a lil extra $$$$ when there.

was there last week to Laregina’s, my chassis is there now.

Bobby S.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.