B & R Speed Specialties Brewster,N.Y.

Forums Forums SPEED SHOPS from Dover’s past B & R Speed Specialties Brewster,N.Y.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    dino
    Keymaster

Tripped over this sorting new ‘Dover Central’ office stuff. Designed this for Bobby Herman -B and Ray Dwyer- R.They ran that super clean ‘Exicutioner’ ’55 silver chevy .Little shop on Main st. in Brewster…. Ray could watch it when he was across the street at his real job..Station Master at Railroad Station . Boy ,did he have a way with funny stories !

Attachments:

paul-ceasrine

Dino,

Surprised no one added to this. B & R, nice little speed parts store in the center of town, opposite the movie theatre. Pretty good inventory too.
            Ray pretty much ran the store, didn’t he.
            Eventually moved out, and opened up on Route 6 near Brady-Standard (GM dealership).
            Small Wheels Foreign Car Parts (Lazlo) took B & R’s space.

Other Brewster area guys;
            Brewster Auto Parts
            Big Mike Engine Service
            Bob’ Auto Parts (Carmel)
            LMT Auto Parts (Louie Napolitano)
            NAP Radiator (Louie Nap’s brother)

Paul (Anymore attic stuff)

bobby-s

Here are pictures of the ’55 & speed freak, ๐Ÿ˜›
                Paul a little off on the location, Bobby & Ray’s shop ๐Ÿ˜ณ
                was on the down slop just before the train station across the street, ๐Ÿ˜ฎ
                when Bobby & Ray sold it that was when the NAME
                went to the shop near Brady Standard,
                now a friend of mine son’s auto detailing shop, “Q-Tip”.
                but you had the town right ๐Ÿ˜‰

Bob’s Auto parts is still owned by the Tompkins family
                now a NAPA store,

Big Mike Engines, Mike passed away a while ago, ๐Ÿ˜ฅ
                pictures of Andy’s ’57 “Super Stious” in mygallery
                has Big Mike’s on the fender,
                Brewster Auto Parts no more, now 2 shops in brewster
                Levines auto parts from Ct, and a Carquest.
                LMT from Put Plaza to brewster now the Carquest shop
                think the name is still used
                Nap Radiator still there, Lonny now a dealer for supplement heating
                supplies, pellet stove & supplies also coal.

remember State Wide auto parts that started on 6N, Mahopac
                Barry “The Snake”, ๐Ÿ™„ I remember when he ran
                Motor Boys Aid store in the Bronx on Fordam Road & Arthur Ave. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ ๐Ÿ˜ฎ
                more deals after 5pm out the back door… ๐Ÿ™„

Tell dad specials this month in Mopar Performance magazine
                for headers & cat back systems that fits Mom’s car ๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ‘ฟ ๐Ÿ‘ฟ

Happy 4th to you and EVERYONE home and fellow Dover’its

Bobby S.

Attachments:

paul-ceasrine

Bobby S.

I stand corrected. I knew you’d correct me for my error.
                    Yes, B & R was on the sharp hill, left hand side as you entered into the village.
                    Right before the cool little Brewster stationary/newsstand/tobacco shop.
                    Little speed shop, but decent inventory.
                    Small Wheels Foreign Car Parts came later, store across from the theatre, right around the corner.
                    Later on, new store up near Brady-Standard, for B & R owner.
                    Big Mike, where my father had a short education. Home of the 4-foot breaker-bar, thats what you needed to spin the crank, after assembly. Reason; a warped V-way for that old
                    Lemco crankshaft grinder.
                    StateWide, who could forget Barry, “The Snake”, and many other names ๐Ÿ˜ˆ
                    My father bought a Fram Filter box from him, with an aftermarket filter inside. Tried to convince my father to put his shop in his back room or basement. I think the deal was 50/50
                    on machine work that came through the door, and 80/20 on parts. Who do you think wanted the 80 ๐Ÿ˜ฎ
                    OK now you did it. Instigating my father to ruin another one of my mothers cars.
                    She’s going to be 73 on July 11. She’ll be expecting the headers and cat back system from you. So start heading down to Elmsford with the VW. She’s still a spit-fire. Drives the
                    300D like a crazy-woman. No problem cleaning out the injectors, thats her excuse to get on it. A friggin HEMI for a grandma. I think she can turn a 13.90 in that car, with the a/c on,
                    her Rod Stewart CD playing, and eating a Sfogliatelle’ with her right hand. Can probably
                    give my father a run in the 67′ 273 K/S Barracuda.

Happy 4th……Lil Scooch (The original)

dino
                    Keymaster

Go Granny,go granny ,go Granny Go ……………..Reverse Dover -Brat ! get her to the Nostalgia Drags !

martin-d

Sticker still on Russo’s Rat ’69 Chevelle in 2009, the car is still racing here in England UK.

dino
                            Keymaster

I designed That for Bobby and Ray …Brian has the big and little version. Sent Art thru Tony Neri’s Ad specialtie co.in Bridgeport (Tony ran the Ad-Man Nova)

tx70gto

Love to have one of those B&R decals anyway to get one ?

dino
                                    Keymaster

ah …you might be in luck in the near future…I’m recreating the decals (Like this one) I DESIGNED back then .

tomatohead
                                        Participant

…… I bought my first CRANE CAM and lifters for my 428 Cobra Jet from B&R it was 1979 they had a store across from the pool hall in Brewster , on main street, the little guy wasnt there ,Tom was the guy who ordered it for me and later in 1990 I worked at “BOB AUTO PARTS” in Carmel he was working there also , thats where I met Andy Kinash , Bob the owner and his sons ,REAL NICE people ๐Ÿ˜€ one of the sons Jimmy had a chevelle and the other Robbie had a Road Runner I think they said they had been to Dover also ……………………..

bobby-s

‘mater you mentioned
                                                BOB’S AUTO PARTS, Carmel,

Bob Tompkins Sr. passed away 2 weeks ago,
                                                he started Bobs’s Auto Parts in carmel
                                                in a small store on rte 6 & Seminary Hill Rd.
                                                Than build the building now on rte 6 & old rte 6 in carmel.

Sad to say that Bob’s Auto parts will be no more with in a few weeks,
                                                going out of business, property was sold
                                                another Land Mark of the area will be gone.
                                                The sons Robbie & Jimmy and sister Bonnie will be missed.

Over the years they helped a lot of ODF racers in the area.

vindicator
                                                Participant

Hey Bobby-guys…all previously mentioned very true… the late Bob Tompkins…a great guy…his dad…his sons…Jimmy..Robbie…daughter-Bonnie…Bob’s Auto Parts…a landmark…a great “story”…of hard work-fairness-integrity = success! ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€ longtime good friend of my dad… both followed similar “path”…had much the same work ethic…just a good…good…family…guess it’s all ’bout “progress” (???!!!***) ‘eh…just one more family/time…for me to realize…my “good fortune”…in this life…really…is/was knowing…:D ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€ Drake

frank-spor

I met Ray (zoom zoom) Dwyer in October 1967 (give or take) a month, when I was a Freshman in High school, commuting by Train to White Plains NY. I would arrive at the station most days around 3:45 PM, and My dad would pick me up during his intercall trips around Putnam county. Some days it was within 10 Minutes, some days it would be hours…To further confuse the timing, some days I would catch an earlier train, depending on the lights on Mamaroneck Ave in White Plains. So needless to say, I was a very impressionable kid of 13 Yrs old, hanging around the Station, and there was this nut in the office, and He Drove the most beautiful car I had ever been allowed to be near, A Black Corvette coupe, Stinger hood, and side pipes. As time went by, I would be invited By Ray to wait in the office, and he would regale me with stories. The infection I caught from that car stayed with me to this day, causing me to have two of them in my garage. When it came time to buy my first new set of Crager SS wheels, I renewed my association with Ray, and then The Army intervened, and I moved away. He, and a few other names, Norm Fisher, (Norm 3168) Tony Astrologo, (hello parts) Willie Hormite (sp) and the Lena Brothers, and Earl Gondolfi, are all memories of my attempts at going faster than anybody else….

dino
                                                        Keymaster

Frank…Yes Ray was Hilarious…He Passed away I think…..Bring one of those Vettes to show or Run next week…But then I have no Idea where you are :lol:….but judging from your computer IP address its near Albany ,Right ?

John G.
                                                            Participant

I worked there, from ’71-74. Bill Burack owned it then. I still have a couple of those decals. I worked there so I could get a break on my speed parts. I was running a ’66 GTO withย  the 389 HO 4bbl, first one had a two speed, second one had the M-21 Muncie 4 spd.,3:93 posi . I wish I still had that car.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.