BABY TORQUE MG …’Dover Poster Child"

Forums Forums OLD RACE CAR LOCATOR BABY TORQUE MG …’Dover Poster Child"

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    dino
    Keymaster

About Time I Did this…of course you Dover Nostalgia Drags veterans and Forum regulars are well aware where this car is. Comfortably residing in Pat’s Destifano’s Red Hook, N.Y. garage. He picked it up only 5 miles from it’s original home in Queen’s N.Y. in 1998. Sat on it for years ,but decided to restore it to it’s 1964 Dover condition ,and finished it just in time for our first Dover Nostalgia Drags in 2009 at Island Dragway. Baby Torque may one of the few original Dover Cars to enter and run in all 5 of our Nostalgia Drags .here’s How Pat described its History in another topic, in 2008 when he decided to start the ‘resurrection’ :
        ” Let me refresh your memory. I was 12 years old and hanging out at the garage in Queens where Willie Feyh worked, Dave Daly was the owner and driver of the car, and I would wax it, polish the americans, drain the water after each run and got to steer it back the return road at the tracks after each run. I wish I had some pictures of that. I am restoring the car now (I own it now) and it was at the reunion about 10 years ago {1998} when I first got it. I can’t remember but who it was but I got a picture of the MG racing Charlie Bouchers C/A at Dover. My greatest desire would be to recreate that photo at the Valley someday, I know that the C/A is already restored so it’s up to me. While we are on that subject I really think that the Dover reunion should be at Lebanon Valley with all the old drag cars that can be found. You can invite the ones that raced if we can locate them. Involve NEATO too”

That Photo WAS recreated at Island and Pat’s wanting the Race at Lebanon, has become a reality…We’ll do it there again for the fourth time this Aug.9-10.And Lord willing …Pat And Baby Torque will be there ,now running in the 10’s!
        Pat was one of only a few Dover Originals to Attend the inaugural Hot Rod Reunion this year at Epping ,N.H. First time the little car went in the 10’s ,only to break out for running too fast!. Pat relates the car always had a vibration and was hard to drive. He changed everything trying to correct it. Just before the Epping Race He balanced the slicks and is now happy to drive the consistent 10 second machine ,that now runs on rails.

Attachments:

dino
        Keymaster

Here’s the original builders of the car ,reunited at a recent Rhinebeck show. L-R Dave Daly, Willie Feyh

Attachments:

dino
            Keymaster

Ah …Great Minds work alike…As I’m posting all this …Pat is adding to the Other “Baby Torque” topic…here’s Pat this year At Epping…..

Attachments:

babycakes
                Participant

The word ‘OBSESSION’ comes to mind, when it comes to Pat and his ‘Baby Torque’ M.G. He’s put a lot of ‘blood’, ‘sweat’, and ‘tears’ ( not to forget hard earned $) to bring his dream into reality! And thankfully has a faithful brother Mike at his side,to bring it all together! No doubt it’s a ‘CLASSIC’ not only for Pat and Mike to enjoy,but for us ODF’s who remember when in ran at Dover back in the day,and greatfully see it run once again nowadays!!!

tomblake
                    Participant

Baby Torque is a real cool car and what great history that has been recorded for all of us.

patina
                        Participant

Had this one since last year, Brian found it. Charlie Boucher’s T-Bird in the picture also.

Pat

Attachments:

hvy70ss
                            Participant

Pat…That starting line shot recreation at Island in 2009 was classic…the first Dover Drags reunion! Where did the time go?

Smitty

patina
                                Participant

Car is now in shop being torn down and worked on. Will have softer springs in back, a primer pump for the injection, maybe a smaller engine and more weight. My plan is to have it at the same weight/cu.in. that it ran in the 60’s. That was 327 cu.in. and 2452# so I gotta add 200#.

Pat

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.