Big Growler

Forums Forums OLD RACE CAR LOCATOR Big Growler

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    storm-king

Whatever happened to “The Big Growler”, or Al Oakes, for that matter?

billy-casey

Al Oaks was one of my favorites back in the early to mid 60’s ..he towed the ‘growler’ an anglia with I believe was a chevy coupe with a 409 in it and if I remember it was A/Gas …the anglia I think was C/Gas.. one hell of a racer
            … he ran out of a club from conn. 😛 😛 😛 Billy

vindicator
            Participant

HEY BILLY…U…BEING A “CHEVY” GUY…AL WAS THE SERVICE MANAGER/SHOP FOREMAN FOR YEARS @ LOEHMANN CHEVROLET IN WATERBURY ,CT. (I THOUGHT ALL U GUYS WERE “TIGHT”… 😆 😆 😆 ) HOW ‘BOUT AL’S “DOZE FUNNY GROWLER” EARLY CHEVY ll FUNNY CAR???!!!***…LIKE ALL AL’S CARS…IT TOO.. WAS A BAD HOMBRE…FOR SURE HE WAS A REAL GOOD RACER…THE STATEMENT…”YOU CAN PLAY GOLF,BASKETBALL,BASEBALL WITH ONE “BALL”…BUT YOU NEED TWO “BALLS” TO BE A DRAG RACER…CERTAINALY APPLIES TO AL!!!…I THINK (I “THINK”.. I REMEMBER??!!) HE HAD SOMETHING TO DO WITH A SUPER/STOCK CAMARO IN LATE 60’S-EARLY 70’S…TO TOP IT ALL OFF…AL’S A REAL “GOOD GUY”…FRIENDLY…REAL “SMART”…HELPFUL…JUST AN ALL AROUND “GOOD DUDE”…HAVEN’T SEEN OR SPOKE TO AL IN 20 OR SO YEARS (AT LEAST)…BUT LIKE YOU…THAT AWESOME “GROWLER” ANGLIA…SURE “STICKS” IN MY MEMORY…’SORTA’ SEEMS LIKE YESTERDAY TOO.. 😀 😀 😀 DRAKE

dino
                Keymaster

Check Out New (and Exsisting) photos in ODF gallery…probably there !

patina
                    Participant

I just sent a picture to Dino of the “Growler” taken in August of 64. My question is who is the skinny guy in white pants standing on a box starting them.

Pat

vbob
                        Participant

Here ya go !!
                            My friend Carl “Bootie” Booth Oakville,Ct. owned it later and we flat towed it to Dover with a Chevy 6 cyl 3 speed on the tree pickup !!!

‘V’Bob

Attachments:

vbob
                            Participant

Hey,one more from the attic!!

‘V’Bob

Attachments:

dino
                                Keymaster

Try sending the print to me patina…it’s little ‘rough’ Couldnt find any more in the big gallerys.

billy-casey

I saw Al at one of the 1st reunions at marcus.. I believe he was inducted into the dover hall of fame … not sure of the year … he was driving a street rod coupe that he built and drove as a daily car… I was so glad to see him and shake his hand .. he was one of the forfathers of the sport in the northeast..
                                        I’m pretty sure he had a pro stock camaro in the early to mid 70’s.. 🙂 Billy

dino
                                        Keymaster

nice compliment …we’re going to take this further !

anonymous

al and his brother dud both ran gassers dud had an anglia that he flat towed to lebanon valley with a 33 chevy coupe that had a 6 cyl corvette in it and ran them both al lived in bristol ct and was always partial to 39 chevy coupes he sold the 409 powered one to his son in law a few years back and drove a cherry stocker for a while he came to a sat night cruise a few times in bristol i havent seen him in a while

dino
                                                Keymaster

Just put Shot of the Growler In Historical photos “1964 from Patina”

charlie-irving

I just found 2 photos from Dover of the Doze Growler from Loehmann Chevrolet – it’s a Chevy 2 running A/FX. I am mailing them into Dino this Saturday.

Charlie Irving

john-sachs-sr
                                                        Participant

Al was in the Drag’n’runs out of Bristol.He started at DD with his black ’39 Chev.coupe.He called it the “Iron Fireman”(had the removable signs on the doors).After building his Anglia,he used the ’39 as its tow car.
                                                            He was real close to,and worked with Bill “Doc” Ekstrom,who ran a yellow ’39 Buick convertible.The Buick was later sold to Tom Ceruzzi from Pt.Chester.Grover used his engine and they ran the car in D/G.Chev.302″.with Hilborn inj.
                                                            John

vbob
                                                            Participant

Hey
                                                                Upstairs I found this under O!!

‘V’

Attachments:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.