Bruce Hertel ….Dover all the way

Forums Forums BENCH RACING FROM THE PAST Bruce Hertel ….Dover all the way

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    dino
    Keymaster

Got a Do it…Asked Bruce For a ‘timeline’ of his cars,…was at Dover from day one and all through its run. Bruce was a “Dodge Boy” before they called them that ….Hemi in the coupe ,right up to today in his current Street Rod. Now living in Oregon
        …The time line (as I remember):

The ’32 coupe First time at the track was Montgomery July 4th 1960. We won many Dover Middle Eliminator $125 checks with it. Then I would sign the check over to the bartender at the Wingdale Hotel & ask him to tell me when it was gone, and the party was over, He never did !! Those were fun days………I’m sure you were there!

The Hustler B/G Dragster was a Scotty Fenn kit we welded up at Ortiz Welding in Thornwood in ’64. I used the 354 Hemi engine and Cad/LaSalle trans. (2nd & high) from the ’32. Changed to a 727 auto in ’65. As you remember I was working for Chrysler and the Dodge Super Stock Automatics were faster than the 4 speeds so it seemed a natural to use one in the dragster. Best was 10.05 et at 148. mph! I ran It at the ’64 Indy Nationals and got to the Trophy round in B/G Dragster (had beaten both the et AND mph record holders at the time) only to “roll thru” the lights and lost. One of the worst days of my Life!!

The “Dodge Boys” 426 Hemi B/G dragster was a Gordon Collet Chassis. I built up the chassis and body early in ’67. Notable feature was the first shortened (by me) 727 Torqueflite, in a serious Dragster. It had a starter and we used a cable from the push car. That was back in ’67, they all do it now! Best times were low 8.60’s at 172mph. which was right on the record at the time.

Best wishes, Bruce

More on Bruce At These Topics:
        http://www.doverdragstrip.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1564&hilit=hertel

http://www.doverdragstrip.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=120&hilit=hertel

Attachments:

dino
        Keymaster

Jes talked to Bruce in Oregon…He just came back from New Zealand …Great Stories…. Got him hooked back up on the forum (Forgot user name & password) so we have him all fixed now .

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.