CAMERAS DIGITAL AND VIDEO

Forums Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION CAMERAS DIGITAL AND VIDEO

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    vbob
    Participant

HEY
        Lets hear what are the best cameras out there to record our passion ,drag racing!
        Maybe Randy Fish,the editor of Drag Racer Magazine can give us some insight on this subject!
        Without breaking the bank!
        I saw some high end cameras at ‘The Race’!!Nikon D3000 any good??
        Lets hear what we have to buy in video and still cameras to get great pictures for the upcoming season!!
        Shutterbuggers, what are YOU using for those great drag racing shots!
        ‘V’

maso
        Participant

I am thinking about getting a Cannon EOS. I like the idea that you have a wide variety of lenses to choose from and can own more than one. I also want to have a remote triggering device which is really just the same thing as a television remote but for the camera. I want one with a fast frame per second responce. That way I can set up my Cannon EOS on a tripod set down low to the ground for dramatic effect with a wide angle lense to cover a larger area of track, then set it to take a series of five shots over a 1.5 second period ( if that’s what my camera is capable of ) and stand back and watch the christmas tree and work the hand held remote without touching my camera. When I get my five rapid sucession shots on my computer then I can crop them down.

I just spent about $2,500.00 there… didn’t I…!!!

Dream on…

mikey

Maso, I’m not really a camera guy, and I’m sure I’ll get a lot of crap about my choice, but here goes!!Did you like the pictures from Garlits Museum that Cassie(daughter) took?? I think they were nearly excellent, especially for a 15yr old. 🙂 The camera is a Nikon Coolpix L18. Small, light weight, easy to handle, has a tripod mounting spot, you can set a timer to take a picture, but no remote access. Price, $125.00. 😀 😀 Oh, it also takes great videos. 😆 I think for the casual photographer, you get a pretty good bang for the buck. 😯 …………………….Mikey 😀

P.S. I forgot you can zoom in onstuff too!! 😮

maso
                Participant
                    quote mikey:

Maso, I’m not really a camera guy… Did you like the pictures from Garlits Museum that Cassie(daughter) took??…

I’m not really very experienced with photography either, but I know that if you spend enough money… you know…

Anyway.

I don’t know anything about Cassie’s pictures, perhaps you can give me a link to them.

If I want to take videos, then I will buy a video camera.

It seems to me that the idea of using a remote camera trigger and a tripod at the drag strip for multiple sucessive shots could really be the way to go… if you can afford that. But I can’t claim any real photographic experience other than what I have with my cheap Sony which is not good for “action” shots at all. I’m thinking “Action” shots now, but can I pay for it…? hummm…

bobby-s

M`

I shoot everything with one of the first Canon rebels,
                        I have a bounch of lens and can shoot just about anywhere on the side line,
                        depends on the shot I want. My Rebel has video in it but I never used it,
                        My rebel shoots 3 frames per second,
                        but found a way to TRICK it and get more.
                        I keep the picture size at 5 meg-a-pixel, can go up to 10 meg.
                        but at 5 I get good 13×19 pictures.

The new Canons and Nikons now offer video mode built in also
                        and can get just a body for between $500. to $ 700
                        catch a sale with the body and 2 lens, a lot of camera stores on the net.
                        this helps if you have lens from a film camera, most
                        film to digital use the same lens. Something to look into,

For the Dover Reunion I got a remote triger for it,I put the camera on a
                        mono pod, I did this because of the sergery to the right shoulder,
                        I even used this set up for the dover race, took some of the JITTER out
                        of the picture and was able to stay focused on the car longer.

need any more help give me a e-mail.

Bobby S.

maso
                        Participant
                            quote BOBBY S.:

M`

I shoot everything with one of the first Canon rebels,
                            I have a bounch of lens and can shoot just about anywhere on the side line,
                            depends on the shot I want. My Rebel has video in it but I never used it,
                            My rebel shoots 3 frames per second,
                            but found a way to TRICK it and get more.
                            I keep the picture size at 5 meg-a-pixel, can go up to 10 meg.
                            but at 5 I get good 13×19 pictures.

The new Canons and Nikons now offer video mode built in also
                            and can get just a body for between $500. to $ 700
                            catch a sale with the body and 2 lens, a lot of camera stores on the net.
                            this helps if you have lens from a film camera, most
                            film to digital use the same lens. Something to look into,

For the Dover Reunion I got a remote triger for it,I put the camera on a
                            mono pod, I did this because of the sergery to the right shoulder,
                            I even used this set up for the dover race, took some of the JITTER out
                            of the picture and was able to stay focused on the car longer.

need any more help give me a e-mail.

Bobby S.

That is all good advice for me who really dosen’t have any on hand experience… yet. I’m working it. Give us a link to those Dover pictures that you mentioned. The sales combo deal does look good to me.

So then, 5 meg-a-pickles @ 13″ x 19″ is the way to get more FPS… that’s good to know.

Have you done any telephoto lense shots from down track…? That might me “dramatic”.

vbob
                            Participant

HEY

What about pro video cameras, something you can rest on your shoulder ,any help here?
                                ‘V’

randy-fish

Back in the print-film days working at Street Rodder and Popular Hot Rodding, I had two Canon EOS-1 bodies, three or four lenses, and a powerful strobe. More recently, I used a Canon 20-D for several years and now keep it on hand for a back-up, just in case. I took well over 10,000 images with it and figured it might be a good time to give it a rest.

When Circuit City was going out of business, I waited several weeks, took advantage of a 40-percent savings and purchased a Canon 40-D. Granted, it’s certainly not the highest-end Canon in the line, but my 20 had served me so well, it seemed like the natural choice, as all my lenses are compatible. I always shoot at the highest resolution and use flash-fill with a Canon (forget the model #) top-of-the-line strobe most of the time. Like all the testimonials on TV say, “It works for me.”

dino
                                    Keymaster

I HAVE all of Cassies Garlits Photos on a disc Mikey sent me Hope he posts the link to the Photo gallery site, He also loaded them at, Til I get time to go through all 125 + ! one thing at a time ….

randy-fish

FYI — A friend of mine had a Canon Rebel, which produced great images. He was told the Rebel had a built-in maximum image limit, because it was considered a Consumer Grade, as opposed to a Professional Grade camera. That’s why I opted for the 20-D several years ago.

Of course, that maximum would only be a problem if you shoot everything that moves. If you’re in the market for a camera and feel the Rebel is a good value for the dollar, please inquire about it’s maximum image limits before investing. Now, back to our regularly-scheduled program.

grover-dragct

randy just want to hello hope every thing is well with you……take care talk to soon ….

randy-fish
                                                    quote Grover Dragct:

randy just want to hello hope every thing is well with you……take care talk to soon ….

Hey, we’re hangin’ in there, Groovy Grover. Just gettin’ ready for the 50th Big Go West.

mikey

About the Garlits photos, my wife posted a link, but it was to her account on”snapfish”. I deleted the post, and Dino posted the proper link in the General discussion section under “Let Me Know”. Sorry for the screwup. 😥 😥
                                                        Oh, Maso, sorry about the photo share thingy, I thought I e-mailed it to you. I guess the brain was napping!! 😆
                                                        ………………………….Mikey 😯

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.