Charlestown 60’s

Forums Forums ANY OTHER PHOTOS Charlestown 60’s

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    seabake
    Participant

Stumbling around on the internet……Found this UK site. Maybe we’ve been there before???? http://www.mrhr.freeserve.co.uk/sgould/sgould.htm I’ve seen alot of these cars @ Dover. Check out the home page also. http://www.flatheadv8.freeserve.co.uk/indexx.htm Going back tomorrow to look at more.

dino
        Keymaster

Lot of stuff to sort through…THINK thats the Early Little Giant ? has 404 on it …George had 505… but there’s Baby Cakes .

babycakes
            Participant

Hey Dino,you made my day,many thanks to you.Mart,and Steve Gould for bringing back a ‘memory’,our Willys (Baby Cakes) .Seeing this photo at Charlestown,R.I. (airport) Dragstrip in 1964 sparked the ‘ole’ gasser flame in me!

dino
                Keymaster

Here ya go

Attachments:

babycakes
                    Participant

Dino,the photo of Eddie Sanzo’s AA/GS Willys pickup (out of the Merkel stables) was trashed I believe at Westhampton (Pat Destefano knows the whole story and facts).It was the fastest (record) small block Chevy in 64.At the ‘Nationals he would have beat ‘Ohio’ George had he not let off the ‘go’ pedal.when his car started drifting into the other lane.It was one ‘wild’ ride with constant wheel stands and handling.however Eddie was a good chauffeur,also he had some good ‘match’ races with the ‘big guns from the west coast.In 65 he ran a 33 ‘steel’ coupe ,then in 67 built an all glass 33,BB/GS along side Jack Merkel’s all glass 33 AA/GS.Both Willys still around.

maso
                        Participant

Attn: Seabake and Babycakes

Go see: http://doverdragstrip.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=669

Let me know what you think either here or there.

Maso

babycakes
                            Participant

Maso,only ran Charlestown once to see what it was like.I reviewed the photos you mentioned and there dated ’59’,I was there in ’64’.In 58-59-60 I attended mostly Montgomery Dragstrrip (airport) with a good friend of mine (also was in partners with our Willys) who had a 40 Ford coupe,’caddy’ powered with 3 strombergs running A/G.In ’61’,started running at Island Dragway,and Dover.Charlestown reminded me of Montgomery,an airstrip running almost identical ‘hot-rods’ that were built by shade tree mechanics,lots of good times and great friends I remember.

maso
                                Participant
                                    quote Babycakes:

Maso,only ran Charlestown once to see what it was like.I reviewed the photos you mentioned and there dated ’59’,I was there in ’64’.In 58-59-60 I attended mostly Montgomery Dragstrrip (airport) with a good friend of mine (also was in partners with our Willys) who had a 40 Ford coupe,’caddy’ powered with 3 strombergs running A/G.In ’61’,started running at Island Dragway,and Dover.Charlestown reminded me of Montgomery,an airstrip running almost identical ‘hot-rods’ that were built by shade tree mechanics,lots of good times and great friends I remember.

Babycakes…

Go type in “Montgomery” into the DDS dot com search engine and see what comes up there too. You’ll be supprised there too…

babycakes
                                    Participant

Thanks for the ‘tip’ Maso on Montgomery,and your article on ‘gassers’.I remember you had to have functioning lights.wipers,and attached exhaust system on them.Here’s one to remember;got stopped for speeding (I was a riding shotgun) in a ‘hick’ town,just south of Montgomery.Followed the constable to the judge’s house,had to wait till he finished ‘breakfast’ and got fined $25.00! We split the expense,and off to the ‘track’ we went.Needless to say,every time there after,we did the speed limit through that ‘hick’ town.

maso
                                        Participant
                                            quote Babycakes:

…Here’s one to remember, got stopped for speeding (I was a riding shotgun) in a ‘hick’ town, just south of Montgomery. Followed the constable to the judge’s house, had to wait till he finished ‘breakfast’ and got fined $25.00! We split the expense, and off to the ‘track’ we went. Needless to say, every time there after, we did the speed limit through that ‘hick’ town.

…they were probably on the lookout for “Hot Rodders” just because of the drag racing that was going on there.

You liked my stuff about Gas Coupes and Sedans…? You’ll like what I had to say about front engined dragsters too. Go see: http://doverdragstrip.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1880&p=11636&

I pride myself on being something of a “wordsmith”… I love to write out the stuff that goes through my mind.

stevg

Hi Babycakes, this is Steve Gould and I’m stoked that you liked the pictures from Charlestown. Your coupe plus the Jack Merkel p/u were my first introduction to Willy’s race cars and they were soooo cool. Like many older race fans, while I like modern race cars, nothing trips my trigger like vintage race cars. Seeing vintage cars in person is wonderful but I still like looking and reading about the older stuff.

Best wishes to all and thanks for talking about the cars.

fastlane

SPEAKING OF RHODE ISLAND I WAS INFORMED TONIGHT THAT A MR. RICHARD A.K.A. DICK PRIME FROM PAWTUCKET HAD PASSED OVER THE EASTER WEEKEND HE WAS A LATE 60S AND EARY 70S EAST COAST HARLEY SINGLE AND DOUBLE TOP FUEL MOTORCYCLE DRAG RACER / LEGEND R.I.P. AND GOD SPEED ANOTHER ONE OF OUR 1/4 MILE BROTHERS ARE GONE 😥 FASTLANE HERE ARE A FEW PHOTOS OF THE MAN HIMSELF IN ACTION FROM BACK IN THE DAY ENJOY !

fastlane
                                                        vbob
                                                        Participant

HEY

While in R.I. I picked up the SUNDAY PROVIDENCE JOURNAL newspaper!!!
                                                            In the car section I stumbled onto this!How cool is this!
                                                            ‘V’

Attachments:

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.