Competition Automotive- Danbury

Forums Forums SPEED SHOPS from Dover’s past Competition Automotive- Danbury

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    dino
    Keymaster

Here’s an oldie but a goodie! …for the old -old early 60’s guys. Tim Hallock’s Compitition Automotuve In Danbury. Out on Mill Plain Rd< wrong…(see later post… Tim Said it was FEDERAL RD>). Check out the drive-in movie behind the shop .Tim ran a B/D out of one of the first Speed Shops in the Area.

Attachments:

timh

The dragster on the trailer in this photo is my A/D LYNWOOD, chassis, 4 inches longer w.b. than the ALLY OOP> the engine sat 4 inches lower at the front crank pulley.301 cubic in. 327 block,6:71blower,ALGON f.i. i ran this at ISLIP L.I. 1/8 mile against the S&S alterd roadster I turned a 6:03 at 130 mph, they anounced it as a world record that day. could not use the chute to stop you had go to single lane between fence post to shut down on dirt area went right thru tech area before i got it stopped. 2nd run i shut it down a little sooner still did 6:50 this was late 1961 or early 62 TIM HALLOCK

motofit
            Participant

wasn’t this speed shop on Federal road – not Mill Plain road? I remember going to the drive in on federal rd.

timh

my shop was on federal rd.right in front of the drive in theater, and next door to a drive in resturant i think was called the WEEMOWAY not sure? its 40 yrs. + since i was there TIM

dino
                    Keymaster
                        quote motofit:

wasn’t this speed shop on Federal road – not Mill Plain road? I remember going to the drive in on federal rd.

……sorry ’bout that ..just going by what someone told me.

dino
                        Keymaster

Interesting…Was that restaurant named after the song by the Kingston Trio in 1959 “Wimoweh” ?…Also Became “The Lion Sleeps Tonight” in 1961, as adapted by the doo-wop group The Tokens.It became a number 1 hit. just wonderin ?

gtx-matt

Hmmm I’m too young to know but there was a speed shop on Mill Plain road. My father used to buy his goodies for his Chevelle there. It went out of business sometime in the 80’s and Western Connecticut State University’s west side campus is now there. I’ll ask him what it was called.

dino
                                Keymaster
                                    quote timh:

my shop was on federal rd.right in front of the drive in theater, and next door to a drive in resturant i think was called the WEEMOWAY not sure? its 40 yrs. + since i was there TIM

Tim himself corrected me….FEDERAL RD.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.