Division 1

Forums Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION Division 1

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    gene-terenzio-sr
    Participant

Any one on this site have any pictures of my crash In the Let It Fly AA/A at Maple Grove 1972 Div. 1 points meet?

dino
        Keymaster

I have a couple of contacts …I’ll ask

billy-casey

Hi Gene … I was there and remember it happening .. I was racing my 57 E/Gasser , and i was under the cross over bridge … in the staging lanes , i think that was my first time at the grove , Billy

maso
                Participant

Here’s a picture of my brother’s AA/FD at Maple Grove ten years previously in 1967 but he didn’t crash it there…

He took it to the March Meet at Bakersfield and did not qualify with a 7.42 ET at 203 MPH, and on the way back east crashed it at Numedia Dragway also in Pennsylvenia.

And here he is mugging for Jack Bourough’s camera after the fact with his driver who still manages to smile with his arm in a sling and a dislocated thumb. That’s Artie Dromgoole who is still racing a front engined dragster. We took it to Dino’s track in Rockingham once. We are the “Backyard Guys”

gene-terenzio-sr
                    Participant
                        quote Maso:

Here’s a picture of my brother’s AA/FD at Maple Grove ten years previously in 1967 but he didn’t crash it there…

He took it to the March Meet at Bakersfield and did not qualify with a 7.42 ET at 203 MPH, and on the way back east crashed it at Numedia Dragway also in Pennsylvenia.

And here he is mugging for Jack Bourough’s camera after the fact with his driver who still manages to smile with his arm in a sling and a dislocated thumb. That’s Artie Dromgoole who is still racing a front engined dragster. We took it to Dino’s track in Rockingham once. We are the “Backyard Guys”

Was just looking at some of the pictures, and came across this from Maso, Look at the post,s and telephone poles that were going down the track, I guess to keep the spectators safe, 😆 , At least at Dover, Other than the Ambulance, 😮 Chet’s Ford wagon, 😛 And the end of the track, Spectators were pretty safe, 😀 It was the drivers that were in danger. 👿

cullyflower
                            quote Gene Terenzio Sr.:

Any one on this site have any pictures of my crash In the Let It Fly AA/A at Maple Grove 1972 Div. 1 points meet?

Gene Try Carl Rubrecht he was track photographer at Maple Grove. papokerman@comcast.net He has thousands of pictures from Maple Grove,
                            Cecil County, Numedia, Pocono Drag Lodge and more.

While on the topic of altered crashes of cars from ct. at maple grove does anyone know who crashed the blue AA/A at maple grove? Not sure of
                            the year but got out of shape off of the line and turned right about 330 ft. hit and flipped, caught fire. Was from a speed shop in Groton,Ct.

maso
                            Participant
                                quote cullyflower:

quote Gene Terenzio Sr.:

Gene Try Carl Rubrecht he was track photographer at Maple Grove. papokerman@comcast.net He has thousands of pictures from Maple Grove,

I will try to see if he’s got anything on my brother’s crash too.

Check out : http://dragracersreunion.ning.com/profile/CarlERubrecht

This could get interesting…

Here is what he says on his page:

quote Carl Rubrecht:

Tell us about yourself.
                                I’m 69 next month – I have thousands of negatives which have been in storage the past 40 years – Now a full-time project – Shows – magazines – books – posters – Most photos Maple Grove PA – also, Numidia – Pocono Drag Lodge – Cecil County – I also have – what is left – of Peter Kalin’s negatives — This project is virtually 24/7 – I am also selling on E-bay

Does anybody know anything about Peter Kalin…???

gene-terenzio-sr
                                Participant
                                    quote cullyflower:

quote Gene Terenzio Sr.:

While on the topic of altered crashes of cars from ct. at maple grove does anyone know who crashed the blue AA/A at maple grove? Not sure of
                                    the year but got out of shape off of the line and turned right about 330 ft. hit and flipped, caught fire. Was from a speed shop in Groton,Ct.

That was me, Groton tire and speed was our sponsor, they painted the car blue, and we went to the points meet and i crashed, the reason, they didn’t allow comp cars to do burn outs over the starting line, and the top gas cars ran right in front of us , there was water be for the starting line and i try-ed to go around it but one tire got into the water , when i left the line the car went sideways, , i lifted, i tough i had it straitened out, i hit it again and every thing went in slow motion, and it jumped the Gard rail and flipped over and slid down the guardrail, ruptured the fuel tank, caught on fire, ( i saw Satan ) wen it came to a stop my left hand was caught under the steering wheel and the ground, i riped my hand out and cut my middle finger, and i still have the finger to remind me of what happened that day, I’ll never forget it.

cullyflower
                                        quote Gene Terenzio Sr.:

quote cullyflower:

quote Gene Terenzio Sr.:

That was me, Groton tire and speed was our sponsor, they painted the car blue, and we went to the points meet and i crashed, the reason, they didn’t allow comp cars to do burn outs over the starting line, and the top gas cars ran right in front of us , there was water be for the starting line and i try-ed to go around it but one tire got into the water , when i left the line the car went sideways, , i lifted, i tough i had it straitened out, i hit it again and every thing went in slow motion, and it jumped the Gard rail and flipped over and slid down the guardrail, ruptured the fuel tank, caught on fire, ( i saw Satan ) wen it came to a stop my left hand was caught under the steering wheel and the ground, i riped my hand out and cut my middle finger, and i still have the finger to remind me of what happened that day, I’ll never forget it.

Gene I never took photos of crashes just a bad karma thing with me. Witnessing your crash with the car catching on fire it could have been a lot worse. The one thing I remember is that the car had barely stopped and a guy in the pits jumped the fence with a fire exstinguisher dashed across the track and put out the fire.

gene-terenzio-sr
                                        Participant
                                            quote cullyflower:

quote Gene Terenzio Sr.:

quote cullyflower:

quote Gene Terenzio Sr.:

Gene I never took photos of crashes just a bad karma thing with me. Witnessing your crash with the car catching on fire it could have been a lot worse. The one thing I remember is that the car had barely stopped and a guy in the pits jumped the fence with a fire extinguisher dashed across the track and put out the fire.

That was Mike Kosky, I have seen pictures of the crash in Drag Times mag. one picture, you can see me out of the car before Mike got to it, I ran so fast I was over the guardrail on the other side of the track be for he got to the car, I sat down in the grass and my legs felt like 2 500 lb.weights and i couldn’t get up.

dino
                                            Keymaster

Carl IS registered on the Forum Now…E-mail or PM him at his profile page

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.