Dover’s ANNOUNCERS…the Story continues !

Forums Forums WHERE ARE THEY NOW ? Dover’s ANNOUNCERS…the Story continues !

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    dino
    Keymaster

Just In Today and the inspiration to Clear up the facts so we can sort out the History…..

Hi Dean:
        Need to correct you on your history. I believe you started announcing after me, around 67. I started after the Goose left. I think Daryl did a few shows before me. I started working on the inspection line in 63 and then the pre-stage area. Smokey and Steve might remember me. I was the cousin of Conrad “Connie” and Gretchen Iwanicki. He won the Pepsi trophy in 1963 going undefeated in his 63 Chevy station wagon IS/A. I was still in High School at the time. I lived in Bridgeport and often got rides to the strip with guy’s like Neri, Scinto, The Ruff’s with their H/G Anglia and so on. In recent times on the NASCAR circuit I was good friends with your old pal the late Rev. Pat Evans. Was working when Cappola wrecked his Plymouth, and the kid from Stratford drove his fuel rail through the guard rail and the end of the strip at 164 MPH. Made many trips to Bobby Lagana’s shop in Eastchester while I was announcing, that was in 65. Was friends with “Wild Bill Flynn” and he gave me a wheelie ride in the Yankee Pedler the day he had a match against Dino Don Nicholson, was working when Don Gartlits , Sox & Martin, Malcum Durham and a lot of the other greats raced their. Oh yes and Hellzapoppin and Doug Tippitts Moon Eyes dragsters and the list goes on.
        Glad I found the siite…sorry I can’t make it to the Dairy tomorrow but I’ll fill out the profile etc.
        Regards,
        Gary Teto

. . . . .Thanks for nailing the year …that Really helps and makes sense ,as I started Art School in the Spring of ’67. Always figured there was somebody betyween the Goose and me—>YOU! the Daryl he refers to, went on to be the Official Announcer At New York National Speedway. Thanks Gary…Always knew there was a name missing and You’re it! . The early 60’s guys are what we call the “first Generation”…a lot giving it up or paving the way for the “factory’ muscle car group then started in around 66-67 .This Mid sixties transition preiod is constanly being refined with New Guys coming on like yourself. OH-Welcome to the Band of Dover Guys!

dino
        Keymaster

This is from a Post about Ralph ‘Chink” Butera….Connecting the Announcers Dots some more ! :

Dover Announcer Ralph ‘CHINK” Butera wrote in
            on Fri Mar 27, 2009

DINO;
            this is the old announcer from dover drag strip prior to you taking over for me. Ralph โ€œchinkโ€ Butera. I am markโ€™s cousin and we always get together to dicuss the old and good times at dover drag strip. Would you believe that we left Danbury at 6am to be at the strip by 7. and never got home until 9 or 10 at night. We always stopped where they had the reunion last year for the best roast beef sandwiches. I remember that we made 12.00 for the day and free lunch . just thought I drop you a line to tell you to keep up the good work on your web site. I understand we have another year at marcus dairy for sat nite cruising and for the reunion in sept. the way the economy is going we might be good in 2010.

Ralph chink butera

Then I Wrote:
            ‘Hooked up with ol’ “Chink” on the phone today….nutter than ever ! He started on the mike in late ’61 and the “Blue Goose” replaced him around 63-64.’

SOOOOO00000ooooo . . .then it was Gary 65-66 Then ME …Gary ,I started “When the Announcer Didn’t Show up ” Opening Day-67″ that would be YOU ! What Happened ???

dino
            Keymaster

Forgot: Gary is now on the Forum …User Name : M T Pockets !

dino
                Keymaster

Sent Gary an Invite to get on the Mike At Island…he was The Voice in 65-66… lets see if he responds! Hey- lets get ‘Chink ” Too !

dino
                    Keymaster

Gary said he’ll try to make the race! …lives in Trumbull,Ct. now and is heavily involved with Nascar Tour type Modifieds. He’s the Team owner for Ed Flemke jr. ! see http://www.tetoracing.com

dino
                        Keymaster

Can’t leave out Charlie Tanner in this topic,who took over when I left. Joe T.’s son and had a “get down get funky” style …Charlie always had a smile for ya. Gave out the Trophies when I worked. Heard some poeple say ,there was someone AFTER HIM…don’t know-need more info. Sadly Charlie passed away, but we have him in photos at a number of Reunions past . There’s a post on him and Al the starter in the Reunion heading.

vbob
                            Participant

HEY
                                RIP

‘V’

Attachments:

tomblake
                                Participant

Gary
                                    This is the picture of the tower that had the note on the back.
                                    The note said “Gary – doing some announcing in his pretty red & yellow pants.”
                                    The date on the picture was 7/3/66.

Attachments:

dino
                                    Keymaster

I’ll Ask Him about that Sat…He’ll be up in tower at some point ! I was there in 66…my senior year -H.S….Painting in the pits. Next year Opening Day -No Gary ??? So Joe said ‘we’ll try you out”

m-t-pockets

Yep, that sounds about right to me. The best I can recall there was never any contact off season with anyone from the track. Like a lot of us young guy’s I met my wife in February of that year. She didn’t have much interest in drag racing and as our friendship grew drag racing became less important to me and never went back. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ ๐Ÿ˜† In 1986 we became avid fans of oval track racing and if there was a race we were there to watch it. In 1992 I couldn’t stand watching any more and wanted to participate and had my first car built. Raced Riverside Park. In 1994 I had my first NASCAR Modified built and raced at Riverside Park and on the NASCAR Featherlite Modified Tour. In 1997 George Greco drove my modified and he took me to Englishtown to watch him race in his Pro 5.0 Mustang and that was the only and last drag race I’ve been to. I have watched them on TV though. Since they started I had wanted to go to the Marcus Dairy for the reunions but the dates conflicted with my race schedule. Thanks to the rain out and the this drag race being rescheduled to this weekend my season is over and I can’t wait to go to Island Dragway on Saturday and meet old friends. ๐Ÿ˜€ I’ll be heavily armed with camera gear to record the people and events of the day. When I’m not racing I’m a sports photographer. See you all Saturday ๐Ÿ™‚

Gary

vbob
                                            Participant

HEY
                                                MT,V BOB here,while the boss is away the mice will play !!!
                                                Oh, do bring as much camera as you can carry ,I have a video and 2 digital cameras for ‘The Race”
                                                See everyone in line saturday morning waiting for the gates to open so we can play !!
                                                Dino’s on the road heading north !!
                                                ‘V’

dino
                                                Keymaster

Just in from M&M ….
                                                    “Harry “The BLUE GOOSE” Loeber, THE Dover Strip Track announcer from 1961or2-1964 (he can’t remember) saw my ad in Mike Kelly’s Cruise News and called asking about Dover Dragstrip, if it was the same Dover that was in NY. We talked for at least 1 hour, it was SO COOL!! Calling Dino now to give him Harry’s number.
                                                    More info soon!!”
                                                    Rich
                                                    ………………The Blue Goose drove his custom painted corvair to the track and is alive and well in Florida. Took to the mic after “Chink” …Doesn’t have a computer ,so we’ll dispatch a field rep to show him the site .Went to a car show in Fla. and saw Ad from Rich in a Cruise Paper that mentioned Dover ? So he called Rich immediatly . Had A great Talk with him ,More Later…………….this shot from ’62

Attachments:

dino
                                                    Keymaster

Blue Goose Update…Man can that guy talk… ๐Ÿ˜† Quick history…Worked as Scarsdale Police officer until Starting at Newburgh Park Motors in 1984. In 2002 ,had to quit after 18 years ,due to health problems…In and out of hospital ,but Ok now ! lives in St Augistine ,Fla. 6 months out of the year and 6 months in summer ,up in Maryland( close to Jersey-Get It ?). Wifes a nurse in Fla, and hes a HOOT to talk to .Seems IF we can Get ‘Chink’ ,Gary, Me And ‘The Blue Goose’ Together At the Nostalgia Drags …We’ll have the Dover’ Announcers Club’ ,spanning 1961 to 1972 ! what a Shot ! Calling him back later for More info.

dino
                                                        Keymaster

He’s in and out and I got sidetracked with ‘Trick-Truck” repairs…I’ll Pump him for info ….Stand By.

dino
                                                            Keymaster

just talked to the “goose” on the phone…Still Not on the Internet ,But Again …a Hoot to Talk too….Got Him call Tim Hallock after all these years!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.