Drag N Run Club…help me name all of them please

Forums Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION Drag N Run Club…help me name all of them please

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    hearse-bill

Hi….As you all know I am currently working on the Blown Hearse…..I would like to know the names of all 7 or 8 Drag N Run club guys….I have so far…Dick Doyle…Doc Ecstrome(?)….Al Oaks….help me with the rest…Please!!!!!!!!!

dino
        Keymaster

V-Bob posted this once:
            George Lourie still had his Vette from DDS also has the D and E Automotive 40 Willys that ran with the Drag n Runs outta Terriville ,Ct.and 2nd gen Racer son Eric runs Div. 1 Alky F/C !

hearse-bill

yeah….they are both good friends…..not sure if George was actually part of the club….he was certianly with those guys though

pauljbayarinas

billy just ask dickie 🙄

maso
                    Participant
                        quote hearse bill:

Hi….As you all know I am currently working on the Blown Hearse…..I would like to know the names of all 7 or 8 Drag N Run club guys….I have so far…Dick Doyle…Doc Ecstrome(?)….Al Oaks….help me with the rest…Please!!!!!!!!!

Hearse Bill…

If anybody can get you that information, it is Bernie Shuman. Go to: http://www.mycaricatures.com/

Bernie is a cartoon artist who edited the book “Cool Cars, Square Roll Bars” a long and detailed account of the New England hot rodding scene throughout the 1950’s amd ’60’s. It has many pictures in there our beloved “Blown Hearse”

Bernie has a link to his e-mail address in the web site.

If Bernie Shuman can’t get you that imformation, then nobody can.

Attn: Dino…

Check out Bernie Shuman

maso
                        Participant

I cheched is out on your behalf with Bernie Shuman, but this is all I got from him:

quote :

I remember the car well, but don’t have any further info- we’re going back 50+ years. Sorry I couldn’t be more helpful.

Regards,

He could find out the answer to your question if he wanted to…

dino
                            Keymaster

Here Ya Go !…just in from Al Oakes:
                                Drag-N-Runs – a club in Bristol, CT – kinda headquartered at D&E (Doyle & Ekstrom) Automotive on Route 6, just over the line from Terryville.

Al Oakes
                                Dud Oakes
                                Bill Ekstrom
                                Dick Doyle
                                Ronnie Rannou
                                Frankie Gerhagen
                                Kurt Biladou

maso
                                Participant
                                    quote dinotheweirdo:

Here Ya Go !…just in from Al Oakes:
                                    Drag-N-Runs – a club in Bristol, CT – kinda headquartered at D&E (Doyle & Ekstrom) Automotive on Route 6, just over the line from Terryville.

Al Oakes
                                    Dud Oakes
                                    Bill Ekstrom
                                    Dick Doyle
                                    Ronnie Rannou
                                    Frankie Gerhagen
                                    Kurt Biladou

Al Oakes’ name is the only one on that list that comes up in the index of Bernie Shuman’s book “Cool Cars and Square Roll Bars” Reading there on pages 172 and 200.

Page 172:
                                    It is in a picture caption of a heavily lettered ’60 Ford hard top lined up against a ’37 Chevy Gas coupe at Stanford, Conn. on April 30th. 1961. It says that Jim Acker’s closest competition came from fellow “Nutmegger” Al Oakes and his shiny black “Iron Fireman” Chevy.

Page 200:
                                    Talks of a guy named Sammy Packard. “Connecticut gasser ace Al Oaks mentioned that among his [ Packard’s ] accomplishments was a class win at a NASCAR Nationals event.

I will scan the picture of the ’61 Ford and the ’37 Chevy Gas Coupe at Stamford and post it here for you later tomorrow if you ask me to.

vbob
                                    Participant

HEY
                                        The building is still there on Rt 6 on the Terryville,Bristol,Ct. line!!!!
                                        Anyone have pics of the building with D & E Auotomotive on the front??

‘V’

Attachments:

hearse-bill

Wow…all super info…..love the picture of thier jacket….I have some from Acker …that still has his 55 with a paxton…and a 37 coupe….thanks for all you guys that have helped….this is all part of the fun…..

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.