Drag Times Cover Aug 26 1969

Forums Forums THE DOVER CHRONICLES Drag Times Cover Aug 26 1969

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    dino
    Keymaster

Ok Gang …Proof Positive ,we ran the week before this issue …ON THE SAME DAY AS WOODSTOCK….Had Those FUEL GASSERS in for A Show !and it didn’t rain like at Woodstock that Day.Those are ‘non-hippies’ in the Stands …’Gasser Madness’ their choice over The Rock n Roll….Peace & Love.
        ….from the Brian Marasco Collection of Dover relics.

Attachments:

dino
        Keymaster

Prock & Howell, Fireball Shores,Chuck Finders and Charlie Hill ( wrong-HILL BROS>)booked in as “Supercharged Fuel Coupes”
            ………Heres a complete record of the day Color shots from Kathy V. (ODF Galleries) on page 3
            http://www.doverdragstrip.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=184&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=woodstock&start=20

patina
            Participant

Dino I don’t thinkl it was Charlie Hill that you mean. Charlie Hill owned a C/G 40 Willys coupe that Porky Zartman drove. The Hill brothers Pete and Bill had the 33 Willys coupe a story follows; With exerpts BY KEN “The Wild Man” Kull
                The Hill Bros started out racing a 40 Willys coupe. They bought Big John Mazmanian’s car when he was done with it, did some body modifications, paint etc… and then went racing. They decided that they could not be competitive enough in the big car so they went to the ’33 Willys. The Hill Bros knew Joe Hrudka (Mr. Gasket fame) and made the deal that he would provide Pete and Bill with a car if they ran the Mr. Gasket logo. The following is a letter from Dave Hales (S&S Racing Team) to the new owner and restorer of the Willys, Ken Kull. This is a picture of the car before Pete and Bill got their hands on it:

Pat

More info: Historical Tech – The Filthy Forty of Charlie Hill! – THE H.A.M.B.

dino
                Keymaster

Your Right …Charlie Did make an appearance at Dover with the Dirty Thirty…I just copied and pasted that line without thinking.

cullyflower

Heres a photo of the recreatation of the Filthy Forty. Porky Zartman passed away a few weeks ago.

patina
                        Participant

Cully that was a recreation? As far as I know (and 69-70 was a bad time period for me) Charlie Hills “Filthy Forty” was a normally aspirated SBC running C/G that looks like a blower scoop to me. AND now that I look at it he didn’t have the white strip running down the hood and grille. I’m not being critical just searching for knowledge.

Pat

cullyflower

Pat The picture I posted was taken at the 2007 NHRA hot rod reunion in Columbus,Oh.
                                69-70 was after the filthy forty it was running strong in 1963 the first time I saw
                                it run was at York. I saw this car run a lot and as i remember the white stripe was
                                always there. You are correct that they ran an injected small block in C/G but they
                                would sometimes run other classes and I do remember seeing it once running with
                                a blower.

dino
                                Keymaster

Just got a mother load of Drag-Times ! 12 of them ! from Ronnie Morehead …And Found Proof of Dirty Thirty At Dover !

Attachments:

pauljbayarinas
                                        quote patina:

Dino I don’t thinkl it was Charlie Hill that you mean. Charlie Hill owned a C/G 40 Willys coupe that Porky Zartman drove. The Hill brothers Pete and Bill had the 33 Willys coupe a story follows; With exerpts BY KEN “The Wild Man” Kull
                                        The Hill Bros started out racing a 40 Willys coupe. They bought Big John Mazmanian’s car when he was done with it, did some body modifications, paint etc… and then went racing. They decided that they could not be competitive enough in the big car so they went to the ’33 Willys. The Hill Bros knew Joe Hrudka (Mr. Gasket fame) and made the deal that he would provide Pete and Bill with a car if they ran the Mr. Gasket logo. The following is a letter from Dave Hales (S&S Racing Team) to the new owner and restorer of the Willys, Ken Kull. This is a picture of the car before Pete and Bill got their hands on it:

Pat

More info: Historical Tech – The Filthy Forty of Charlie Hill! – THE H.A.M.B.

the 33 that ken kull has restored is the RED BARON willys of pete hill they ran with S.W.C. shores&hess back in the good ole days 🙂

dino
                                        Keymaster
                                            quote patina:

Cully that was a recreation? As far as I know (and 69-70 was a bad time period for me) Charlie Hills “Filthy Forty” was a normally aspirated SBC running C/G that looks like a blower scoop to me. AND now that I look at it he didn’t have the white strip running down the hood and grille. I’m not being critical just searching for knowledge.

Pat

Pat- Check Bucksnots EDN thread at Hamb…Wanda (Gasser Girl ) even commented on a great shot of it on cover…and theres the stripe.

dino
                                            Keymaster
                                                quote patina:

Pat

….Pat…Check Out The Cover Shot of it in EDN (Bucksnort-Hamb) theres the stripe!

pauljbayarinas

the way i understand it got the name filthy forty was at some big event they parked it in the MUD someplace so no competers would get all muddy trying to get a close look at it hence the name filthy 40 thay had a 33 and called it the dirty thirty theres a story of it in some magazine maybe V. BOB has it in his attic 😉

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.