Earliest Hellzapoppin photo yet

Forums Forums DINO’S PHOTO PICK OF THE WEEK Earliest Hellzapoppin photo yet

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    dino
    Keymaster

Nick Masi of Watertown just sent some great early shots of Dover with captions Too. Heres the First ever, so far, of Abbotts Hellzapoppin….Bobby will like this …its yellow and had a bad day …Wheelstanded it…backed off ,the front end slammed down …he hit again and didn’t back off…squated on the push bar ,slammed down again and as he says,”Darted” Across the track and into the bank.

Attachments:

bobby-s

This was when Mr. Foley owned the chassis, he was the engine builder for Ron and the HELLZAPOPPIN motors. At this time Ron had I think his 3rd or 4th DRAGMASTER chassis …” the DART” chassis that he ran against Garlits @ indy. The second DRAGMASTER chassis was also a twin hoop but the drive train was updated to a floater rear & in & out box for a trans.This is my chassis for sure, when I made friends with Nick he gave me the original pictures to match the weld repairs on mine to the pictures of this one on the trailer and that is on the only dover picture disc available, I had yellow paint on the head bar when I removed the padding during the resto.

dino
            Keymaster

Bobby…then about what year is this?…. Foley got it and painted yellow I guess. Whats with the funky front tires? didn’t it start out with spokers? Nick sent me prints,I have to return. Will send you my 300 dpi scans ,just for kicks. Oh…notice how many Oldsmobiles and Pontiacs are in the staging lanes…weird huh?

bobby-s

Here’s a picture when it was still the injected motor. Got this at a show from another HELLZAPOPPIN friend. VERY few of it when it was injected this is the earliest one, have been given quite a few of this chassis with the blown motor and of the 2nd twin hoop chassis with the blown motor.

Attachments:

patina
                    Participant

Can’t really make it out. It was on HAMB #93618 in “vintage shots from days gone by

Pat

Attachments:

tomblake
                        Participant

Bobby….Still amazes me the stuff that come out thanks to the Dove site. You must have quite a collection with all the history you got together.

bobby-s
                                quote patina:

Can’t really make it out. It was on HAMB #93618 in “vintage shots from days gone by

Pat

Pat this is NOT HELLZAPOPPIN, this is Pete Robinson’s (aka SNEAKY PETE) South Wind dragster, it is a single hoop DRAGMASTER.
                                Close but no cigar.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.