Famous STOCK & SUPER STOCK that ran at Dover

Forums Misc Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION Famous STOCK & SUPER STOCK that ran at Dover

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    dino
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts: 11511

Many of the Record Holders and Top Stock champs ,made it to dover for three reasons. Test (at an out of the way track ),Run for the Money -If we had a special event. OR booked in with a Match Race ,Touring Series or Points meet. Here’s one I dug up in the newly aquired Donny Colandro collection of photos, To start this off. Bud Fuabel running A/SA. Notice it says NHRA Record Holder on quarter Panel.That might determine the year..Looks like “maybe” Billy Lagana’s Comet in other lane….not sure.

Attachments:

dino
      Keymaster

Here’s DOC in oct 1965 …Notice NHRA National Record Holder on fender AND Dover on the Back !…looks cold out

Attachments:

paul-ceasrine
        • Total Posts: 528

Captain Dino,
          The Bud Faubel “Hemi Honker” has to be the 64′ car, and ran in S/SA. It was one of the first 64′ (mid-year) factory Hemi Super/Stock cars.
          That car held both ends of the 64′ S/SA record in May 64′. ET-11.53 and MPH 123.79.
          On 7″ slicks 😮 Nice package; aluminum doors, fenders, hood w/undimpled scoop.
          Sold at the end of the 64′ season, to a New York resident Bob Goss for $3500 “GULP!”
          I wonder, if “Doc” Burgess was interested in this car, first, before going the 65′ S/S route
          with Jenkins.
          “Bud” Faubel got a 65′ Dodge Hemi at the beginning of 65′, and went right into the
          AWB route. More dollars in match-racing than S/S Eliminator. I’m sure the Storm King
          dynamic-duo can put it together better than me.
          The “Black Arrow” photo looks like late in the season in 65′. One of the many lettering jobs on the car. The S/SA record later in the year got to 11.31, which eventually was broken by the “Drag-On-Lady” Shirley Shahan at the 66′ Winternationals (Feb. 66′) with a 11.26.
          WHEW!!
          Paul

dino
          Keymaster

Yeah Yeah ..your usual great details…But who’s in the Comet ?….Schartman… gotcha ya 😉
            Arrow…’65 car won Winternationals ’65 ….Faubel …’64 car right ?

dino
            Keymaster

Found it …KOOL stuff…Now looking for Photo of Wagon…any help here ? Best of 5 ! spectators got their money’s worth !

Attachments:

storm-king-2
              • Total Posts: 137

I know my eyes are getting bad, but I don’t see anybody behind the wheel of Faubels car.
                Bill

dino
                Keymaster

😯 ….I zoomed in …it’s pretty scratchy ,Maybe he dropped his gum and is down on the floor hunting for it . He’s already staged…bad time to start fooling around.

paul-ceasrine
                  • Total Posts: 528

Dino,
                    I’m not as hopped on Ford’s as Mopars. A 64′ Comet 427 liteweight station wagon.
                    How many of them were built? Nice “Aerodynamics”. I wonder if I could have walked into any Mercury dealership, and picked one of the lot 😆 Say McCormack Mercury, Mahopac, NY.
                    Right Bobby S.
                    Bill (SK2). Your right. I wonder if Bud Faubel was hiding, after getting his HEINY kicked 3 times in a row, by a grocery-getter station wagon 😯
                    Fast “Eddie” liked the traction. It always had nice traction. But he didn’t mention the
                    tasty and spectacular hamburgers!!
                    Paul (Back to the Ford dictionary)

dino
                    Keymaster

Found Our Answer to Missing Photos …From new Hibbert Collection ….Yayyyyyy

Attachments:

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.