Ford Oil Change Quiery

Forums Forums RACE TECH QUESTION FORUM Ford Oil Change Quiery

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    dino
    Keymaster

Ok in the old days …it was change your oil every 5000 miles …now its 3000, why ?…they wanna sell more oil? I have a 93 F-150 and the wife has a ’04 escape …follow the recomended 3000 or save some $ and hold out to 5000. Oh-my truck has 220000 miles and runs like Singer sewing machine.

mikey

Dino, if you do a lot of city stop and go, maybe 3500 or so. If you do a lot of highway, 5000 should be fine. With the technology the oil companies have, don’t worry about it. …………….Mikey 😆

don-kauer

Not one auto mfg. recommends 3000 miles………That was the old days………Most are going with 5000 to 10,000 because of the synthetic oils not to mention it is a selling tool for the new cars..People want less trips to the shop for maintenence…….VW and Audi are at 10,000 intervals and have been for 6 to 7 years…..Amzoil says you can go 20,000 intervals with their oil……………I think it’s a lot of B.S. 😮 I don’t care what oil you are using, I’ve seen sludging, oil breakdown, clogged screens and failed oil pumps so much more in recent years….Rarely did you see that in the old days..I won’t let my customers go past 4500 miles between oil changes with synthetic and 3000 for virgin oil..For myself I change oil in my vehicles by 3000 miles without fail…….My Audi gets synthetic …..The S10 chevy and the Toyota get synthetic blend………Great additives in the synthetic oils….Everyoine should be using that or at least the blend…. 😎 ………….Don………

dino
                Keymaster

Hmmm…Thanks…My guy that does my truck says ,it’s too late in the game to switch with my old truck and did say starting out with synyhetic is the way to go with tighter new engines. Said my old truck ‘sloppy -worn’ …like ME !

don-kauer

Probably not a good idea to start using synthetic oil in an older high mileage vehicle..(75 to 100k or better)…..The molecules in synthetic oil are much smaller then virgin oil and the worn seals and parts would be easier targets for leaks ……:!: ❗

pauljbayarinas
                            quote donkauer:

Probably not a good idea to start using synthetic oil in an older high mileage vehicle..(75 to 100k or better)…..The molecules in synthetic oil are much smaller then virgin oil and the worn seals and parts would be easier targets for leaks ……:!: ❗

🙁 thats a fact. i tried synthetic oil twice in older cars and believe me it WILL LEAK in a little while. ok to start a new car on it but not one with some mileage on it. my 454 crate motor came with synthetic in it 😮

super-sport-pete

FORD made 5-20 in 92 for 4.6 ohc v-8.most ford have small oil passages. hard to flow in cold temps. most small parts stores around here sell motorcraft 5-20 semi-synthetic . this is for most gas motors. GM is 5-30.a friend had a 5.4 triton truck with “random misfire” codes,ran poorly cold,and lack of power off idle. another “friend” did him a favor by putting some blue-green $12.00 a qt. brand name oil in it.after $500.00 worth of guessing my friend fixed it by putting 5-20 in. followers not bleeding down.common problem. also watch for oil filters with plastic parts.

tomatohead
                                Participant

………. my wifes 2008 explorer gets its oil and filter change when the dash says oil change required and thats at 7500 miles at a time ……………………………………………………………………….

tomblake
                                    Participant

tomatohead…..7500 for the wifes car but I bet you don’t go that far with your race car. 😆 😆 😆

dino
                                        Keymaster

Okey-dokey…stick with regular oil and 3000….worked all this time…old girl still running great.

realmongo
                                            Participant

Once the engine in the new Silverado was broken in I went with Mobil-1 5W-30 with changes every 5000 miles. The 2004 Sable has had the Ford 5W-20 every 5000 miles (now has about 95,000) and the 2003 S10 gets Valvoline 5W-30 every 3000 miles since it was new (now has about 75,000).

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.