Frank Roudis "The Grille Master" 55 Chevy

Forums Forums OLD RACE CAR LOCATOR Frank Roudis "The Grille Master" 55 Chevy

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    patina
    Participant

The wife and I had lunch at Roudigans steak house in Kingston today and saw a picture of a 55 Chevy E/Gasser with big wheelwells. I remember Jerry Duffy from Automotion telling me that Frank Roudis owns Roudigans and raced at Dover. The car looks like Blakes 55 could it be? I tried to talk with Frank but he was at a meeting, thats what they told me last year when I dropped off the Dover race stuff. Any one remember “The Grille Man” 55 Chevy. Blake where did your old car go?

Pat

dino
        Keymaster

Pat…He’s An ODF Member.but not a frequent forum visitor…..Need to call him .Will have Brian make a Field Recon for info and take photos.

tomblake
            Participant

Pat….Looks like my old 55 just disappeared. Could not find the first thing about it since I sold it in 1965 but it did have big wheel wells.

charlie-irving

Tom,

Could this really be happening. Is “Odd Job” on the verge of being found ?
                    Good luck. I think I know what you are thinking about.

Charlie Irving

dino
                    Keymaster

Brian’s invading the restaurant tomorrow…only a mile from his house. Said the cook raced at Dover too.Told him to take a Photo of the Photo & hit the guy for info..

tomblake
                        Participant

Charlie…..From the picture you sent me of Odd Job to finding the car almost sound impossible. But I would have said that about your picture and Dino’s web site a couple of years ago. This site has brought back more than just memories.
                            Tom

dino
                            Keymaster

Tom …Brian worked all weekend BUT WILL head over and check it out.

tomblake
                                Participant

I was just thinking about that earlier today. Sure would be something to find out what happen to it, if it turns out to be my old car. Brian….will be waiting to see what you come up with.

dover1320

Got the photo of the Grillman Dino will post it soon i hung with Frank cool guy and saw his pictures from then he also bought a Dover tin sign for display. Brian M

dino
                                        Keymaster

Finally …Here’s Frank’s “Grillman” ’55 ,running at the Valley. Regular Dover racer. Name comes from job he had at his Dad’s Colonial Diner in Kingston. Also where his Club got thier name: ‘The Colonial Draggers’. Ran Dover from first year til about late ’64-’65.Thats when this shot taken. Had a late 30’s bread truck locked 5:33 rear .Sold it to a guy in Saugerties and dropped out of sight. Frank now has one of our Steel Grand Opening signs on the wall of his restaurant .Don’t think it’s yours Tom….but does have Casey ‘signature’ wheelwell cut-outs 😆

Attachments:

tomblake
                                            Participant

Dino……Looks like you are right about not being my old car. He ran the same time period as I did and stopped about the same time also. Coincidence that we ran the same years, the same class, the same wheel well cut outs with almost the same car down to the color but I don’t ever remember running together.

patina
                                                Participant
                                                    quote DINO:

Finally …Here’s Frank’s “Grillman” ’55 ,running at the Valley. Regular Dover racer. Name comes from job he had at his Dad’s Colonial Diner in Kingston. Also where his Club got thier name: ‘The Colonial Draggers’. Ran Dover from first year til about late ’64-’65.Thats when this shot taken. Had a late 30’s bread truck locked 5:33 rear .Sold it to a guy in Saugerties and dropped out of sight. Frank now has one of our Steel Grand Opening signs on the wall of his restaurant .Don’t think it’s yours Tom….but does have Casey ‘signature’ wheelwell cut-outs 😆

Frank Roudis passed away January 1 2015 I was trying to follow up on car but no luck. Dino I don’t think he ran that early I believe he ran 67-68. Tom when did you sell your car? Was the car characteristics the same i.e.. front axle, truck rear etc. Jerry from Automotion said it had a one piece tilt nose. I’m getting a picture from Jerry next week.

Pat

tomblake
                                                    Participant

Sold my 55 in 1966 when I was getting ready to move to South Carolina. It did have a straight axle front end and the full floating truck rear end. The front end was not a tilt but was set up to be easily removable with several bolts.

babycakes
                                                        Participant

I remember Frankie Roudis back in the day. In ’69’ I sold him my ’62’ Chevy red Impala convertable, that I took in on trade,and $$$ for my ’57’ Chevy C/MP,when I sold it. Frank’s restaurant was only 100 yards away from the dealership that I worked for, and every so often,I’d have lunch there.As ‘BUSY’ as he ‘always’ was, he’d spend a few minutes to say ‘hi’,and gotta GO!!! I wasn’t aware he passed away; a good hard working man!

dino
                                                            Keymaster

Brian visited him occasionally looking for photos.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.