FREEDOMLAND DRAG STRIP BRONX

Forums Forums BENCH RACING FROM THE PAST FREEDOMLAND DRAG STRIP BRONX

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    hemi-gtx-man

LETS GET STARTED HERE ANYONE WHO REMEMBERS DRAG RACING IN THE BRONX FREEDOMLAND DRAGSTRIP, THE CASTLE ON BOSTON POST ROAD, CONNOR ST, THE HUTCH & NEW ENGLAND THRUWAY. BURKE AVE SPEED SHOP

vbob
        Participant

Hi,
            Just got off the land line with Kevin Dunn originally from Darein,Ct. now in Charlestown,R.I.he remembers it very well!!

‘V’ Bob

billy-casey

OOOOOHHHHH YYYYEEEEHHHHHHHH 😛 😛 when the sun went down the area was loaded with street action . the hutch, conner st. , central ave. and the sprain prky . all that was on my mind was drag raceing and trying to get laid and probably in that order 😆 😆 :lol:… billy

anthonyc
                    quote Hemi-GTX-Man:

LETS GET STARTED HERE ANYONE WHO REMEMBERS DRAG RACING IN THE BRONX FREEDOMLAND DRAGSTRIP, THE CASTLE ON BOSTON POST ROAD, CONNOR ST, THE HUTCH & NEW ENGLAND THRUWAY. BURKE AVE SPEED SHOP

Im much younger than most of the guys on here. I never was at Dover, just heard a lot of stories from a lot of local guys about the place. I was just coming of age when the street scene in The Bronx/Yonkers was starting to change
                    (traditional muscle to newer Mustangs/other stuff) but the Hutch the Wedge Inn, Central Ave was still pretty big. Stuff still goes on, and Im not talking about ricer junk. You guys should go to the Old Time drags at etown. You see a lot of older street guys (older than me LOL 😀 )

hemi-gtx-man

How about the pics of the MG Delso owns, is his shop still on Tremont Ave

quote anthonyc:

quote Hemi-GTX-Man:

Im much younger than most of the guys on here. I never was at Dover, just heard a lot of stories from a lot of local guys about the place. I was just coming of age when the street scene in The Bronx/Yonkers was starting to change
                        (traditional muscle to newer Mustangs/other stuff) but the Hutch the Wedge Inn, Central Ave was still pretty big. Stuff still goes on, and Im not talking about ricer junk. You guys should go to the Old Time drags at etown. You see a lot of older street guys (older than me LOL 😀 )

anthonyc

I should have them before Thansgiving. The shop is still there but he dosent do much there anymore. Did you know there is a little shot of the shop in The movie Fort Apache with Paul Newman its in the scene with the cop chase.I actually found an old article about it (The MG) in an old issue of High performance CARS magazine.Im gonna tell his son Chris to come on here he might already have some pics of it.

bronx-chariots

already here…and im working on getting some of the original pics to dino and snapping some new ones as soon as the car is all back together. Shop is still there, but the neighborhood aint what it used to be, so we dont do much down there. Im gonna go down this week and dig up some of the photos that are down there as well. I dont know what tracks they are from, but ill send em in anyway, im sure dino will find a place for ’em somewhere.

hemi-gtx-man

Post the pic right here where they belong on this great bronx drag race thread. I saw Bobby run a T bird at connor st. He blew the tires off the MG.

quote Bronx_Chariots:

already here…and im working on getting some of the original pics to dino and snapping some new ones as soon as the car is all back together. Shop is still there, but the neighborhood aint what it used to be, so we dont do much down there. Im gonna go down this week and dig up some of the photos that are down there as well. I dont know what tracks they are from, but ill send em in anyway, im sure dino will find a place for ’em somewhere.
                                    billy-casey

has anyone seen connor st. , it’s hard to believe we used to race anything faster then a 6 cyl. flathead there 😮 😆 :mrgreen:

anthonyc
                                            quote Bronx_Chariots:

Chris,I was gonna call you, I didnt know if Frankie told you the site address. Hows it going? I havent seen you since
                                            Orchard beach.

dino
                                            Keymaster

NOBODY HAS ANY PHOTOS ?

billy-casey

Dino: these were not situation wear you took pictures and did interviews,, at the end of the 1/4 mile you went to the next exit , climed under and quickly capped the headers.. and hoped the MAN wasn’t waiting there … the wurst I ever got was loud exhaust or stopping on the pavement. some other guys had there cars impounded and were arrested. but we all came back again and again :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Billy

lawman

I still have a few relatives in Conn and NY and from time to time when I go there, you can still see guys racing on the Hutch. Parts of I-95 have been done over in concrete, but there is too much traffic to really get off a good race on it. The last race I watched on the Hutch was between a big block Buick named the WarCat out of Mt. Vernon and an Big Block Camaro from the Bronx in 1997. The WarCat handed him a supreme whooping, but I remember that the cops came immediately after the race went off. Hamp and I got in our car and left, but I heard several people who watched the race got $100 – $200 tickets.

I hear that if you are caught now, they will impound your car, sell it, haul you to court and drop serious fines on you! Not worth it at all, but it was FUN!

john-sachs-sr
                                                        Participant

Like everything else,things change ……….. We used to go down to the White Castle on Friday nights in ’61,Grover included,his big pink ’59 Poncho,and run on 95 for $20.00 + bills.Like B.C. said”uncork the dumps,make a run,cork them up,go back and talk more sh*t,and hopefully win more money.Them’s were with low 14 sec. street car days,Atlas Buchron tires,with 4.56 rears.
                                                            Fast forward to the early ’80s.We started with the bikes ,and BIGGGGGGGGGG money runs,
                                                            $ 2000.00 and up.Would block off 95 with a motor home or 2 to get the race off.9 sec.bikes.
                                                            Did it in Newark,N.J.many times,but one time got caught with an $8000.00 pot,and lost a low 9 sec.bike.Never got it back. 👿
                                                            John

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.