FUNNY CAR SHOWDOWN !

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    dino
    Keymaster

Its official…and you heard it here First….Bob Sweatland is gathering his ‘gang’ again of Nostalgia Funny cars.Expected to participate is is Daughter Bobbie Leigh in thier New “Lil Missbaviour” Covette (In the paint Shop Now), Along with Frank Bernard’s “Poison Arrow”….Bob Bailey’s “War Horse” and Willie Johnson’s “No Money -No Funny” Nova…..And the BIG News (Forum Exclusive) Is The Headliner Match up of the ongoing rivalry ….The “Bomb Squad” vs, “the Lizard”…The two fastest 200 mph Alky Nostalgia Funny Cars in the Nation. Full quarter ground shaking passes right out the back door.

Rocky Roxlau’s “TIME BOMB” 72 Vega . . .Bob Toth at the wheel has gone 214 at 6.50
        vs.
        George Reidnaurs’s “EXCALIBER” vette.….”Hollywood” George taming the “lizard’

Attachments:

dino
        Keymaster

what the Time Bombs back-up girl hung on Georges Truck mirror….they then proceeded to Win Atco’s funny car show, beat george in the finals!

Attachments:

topgun
            Participant

Dino
                this is going to be awesome!

dino
                Keymaster

To Clarify….With all the popularity of Nostalgia Racing on the east coast …Tracks running Old Time Days…Nostalgia Shows…It’s really increased from our old days at Island and even recent years.Track operators have -DuH…finally discovered the fans would rather see Kool old Nostalgia stuff,instead of trendy imports- and other “shows” .This has generated new ‘booking agents’ that get these Funny Car owners on their program….and a lot more dates are available to these guys. They now fall into three catagories …1- the slower injected Alky cars…2-the faster Blown Alky cars , 3-then the Top of the line and very expensive Nitro Cars.And there’s some that fall in between with odd ball configurations. One ‘series’ restricts their group to 7:0 or slower with lower cost to track ..but the cars run around 160 .Said all that to say this…In the previous years…Bob Sweatland ( Lil Misbehavior) has graciously gathered a our yearly group of funny cars to come …party -picnic and use the weekend for kinda test ‘n’ tune’ At No cost…Great for us …but not good for the guys that NOW , have plenty more paying opportunity’s to run at all the new events . I thoroughly agree with the Racers going were they have guaranteed show money ,if they have the choice. You All know I beat the bushes each year to finance ,through sponsors, all the expenses to put this thing on.It Grows every year with New Features ($)& like everything else , costs go up. Case In point…OUR Sept. Weekend .Same weekend … New England Dragway running 7:0 series and Pro Comp ….Atco running “Funny Car Frenzy”‘ …and Pittsburgh running like a 6 car Funny car show.. And I expect more to be announced…..you’de think being the ‘end ‘ of the season …we’d be looking good.So- Too many events …not enough cars to go around OR already booked. WHAT TO DO.? I made the Decision (On Faith) that working with Lebanon and some other individuals ( call them sponsors-backers) …I would lock early A Real dynamite Headlining Match Race that would generate increased spectaors and ‘pay for itself’. If I didn’t do that…we might have nothing .THIS FOLLOWS the Tradition of all those Great Match Races ,Chet & Joe would book into Dover. Just remember all the big names that we had. Most are all gone. So I searched and did the research with about three weeks of calls & contacts to get a ‘deal’ on these two super showmen to give us a Match Race to remember….Some of our old Funny car buddies are already booked or committed to other events…THIS EARLY…amazing..Some are running points series same day,they can’t get out of….but Bob and I are working on New cars-ideas and ‘fresh’ stuff to bring in other cars too. He’ll have his newly painted Corvette with Bobbie Leigh at the wheel and I have awaiting reply’s more to add to the field. I have three objectives with our Race 1 – make it better each year..I think Iv”e done that….2- Make it Fun and memorable…We get no complaints, just compliments. 3- Keep the track satisfied as to allow us to return….with this I think we’ll up the gate and Howie will be happy. Best thing I and we all can do is get the word out and pack the place. OLD Dover Cars & Drivers have to be found & informed…the general Public Needs to know…I’m on the case with new publicity…and with no Hot Rod Reunion at Epping this year…things are in our favor.Already Some saying our event becoming the “premier” Nostalgia event in the Northeast.

dino
                    Keymaster

ADDING to The Show… 4 More Cars confirmed to fill out out our Funny car field. Bobby Leigh Sweatland in Lil Missbehavior …Scott Ringwood’s “Mistress”….Frank Bernard in the “Poison Arrow and…A surprise 4th car.

Attachments:

dino
                        Keymaster

4th car of the Group Bob Bailey…”Boy Evil” in the War Horse.

Attachments:

dino
                            Keymaster

Last minute Funny Car ‘adjustment” For The Dover Drag Strip Nostalgia Drags…seems the ” Excalibur “suffered some major damage last weekend…and can not make the event. Well we’ve all been there under the heading “Thats racing”. Remember way back, the last minute subsitutes At Dover when booking Match Races.We understand ‘things happen’.So coming in to fill the spot is Chuck Exton’s “Wild & Crazy” big block Chevy powered Mustang. With a little Nitro in the tank to add to the fun. TIME BOMB gang is ready to Rock with him ! Chuck will have the car on display Sat and might even cackle it for ya ! .FYI…Chuck Is a VET…notice the front of the car…Did some Iraq and Afghanistan tours…stand up guy.

Attachments:

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.