House Of Speed…Danbury

Forums Forums SPEED SHOPS from Dover’s past House Of Speed…Danbury

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    dino
    Keymaster

This place was THE center of all the action in Danbury. Located on South Street ,they eventually grew to a store in Waterbury and started their own warehouse distribution business. Remember ‘ol Chet behind the counter, and all the Ad & promotion gimics he ran. Lot of cars with That name on them.

dino
        Keymaster

Remember this ?

Attachments:

dino
            Keymaster

With all the Danbury guys …I’m amazed at No replies and stories here….This place had SO many cars sponsored .Speaking of Promotional Gimics…Chet ran a All night sale once to get Fast Cash…Had me announcing hourly specials and drawings…That was a Long night. He went on to Sell it.Then partnered with Rich Barchi – the Auto Trim guy in Brookfield to create Custom Vans Inc. Moved to bigger location on Federal road & hired Me and Tricky Ricky Russel to do the Custom Paint work.Lot of ‘soap opera’ stuff went on there …the Day, Barchi got Married, the place burned down —HUH? Very timly as we were in the middle of the 70’s Gas embargo and couldn’t get Vans to convert for Dealers. Understand HOUSE OF SPEED bought by Paul Galvin and I lost track of it’s more recent history ….SO What happened in the 80’s to it ?

m-amp-m-speed-amp-custom

I remember them talked to Chet all the time on the phone GOOD Guy. They were M&M’s only Conn. real competitor. WHERE IS HE NOW?
                    Rich

dino
                    Keymaster

Rich: He passed away a while back.
                        found this ,only other forum referance:
                        http://www.doverdragstrip.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=90&p=7621&hilit=chet#p7621

motofit
                        Participant

house of speed was sold to steve gabriel in the 80’s and stayed on south street untill around ’88 or so then steve bought a bulding on state street and moved house of speed there under a new name “speedworks” it is still there now but is no longer open. Steve uses it for his personal use now.

dino
                            Keymaster

Right Moto…Gabrial got it from Paul and I think Tommy Day was around “the House” helping out too. Paul aquired it actually from the bank in 74-75,who took it over,as Chet having Problems.Chet then partnered with Rich Barchi in the Custom Vans business. Paul ran it ’til about 1983,selling to Steve.Paul thinks he can find some old House of Speed decals ,so I can recreate and get this! He still has the Store sign in his garage.A perfect ‘prop’ for our “Speed Shops From Dover Past” exhibit,at the 50th Anniversary Event .

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.