How It All Started-(Reunion)

Forums Forums DANBURY DOVER REUNION News / Notes / Photos How It All Started-(Reunion)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    dino
    Keymaster

just Got this From The Reunion Founders ! :

dino
        …just a little food for thought, as to how the reunions came about ,you should remember that night.

It all started in 1987-1988 at the sycamore drive in in bethel ct. Where you dino, was the d.j and ran the car cruise. We always talked about the good old days and racing at dover.Grove and I invited the “dragon runs” up to the sycamore.They came from terryville ct. and bristol ct. They included al oakes ,dickie doyle, doc eckstrom.and tom cerruzzi from n.y. We all talked about the good old days at dover.Remember dino that night, that the dragon runs came ..we all sat around and talked for hours.That night is when we decided to do a reunion. It took a few years and the car club I belonged to at the time decided to sponsor the reunion. They sponsored it for a few years and then d.r.a.g took it over, and this was our 18th reunion… and it is the longest reunion even before NHRA did theres. Grover and Smokey are looking forward to the 19th reunion to be bigger and better than the last one.

smokey and grover

YEP …It IS the Longest Running Consecutive Reunion In The country ! edit-dino

dino
        Keymaster

This Year, they Set the Record for most continuous Drag oreintated Reunions in the Nation….Oh- make that the World! 😆 Be there or Be Square !

dino
            Keymaster

Funny how all these things seem to tie together.Heres tha “Last ” newsletter from the Sycamore Cruise I ran. AUG.1988. The VERY Next week …The Marcus Dairy Cruise started as kind of a Replacement. I was there to help out ,then ‘Retired ” the cruise -show thing. The Marcus cruise has been running since then and Smokey gave you the history in the first post here of the Reunion.

Attachments:

dino
                Keymaster

Found these in the closet…just for old time sake…Any OLD photos of the first Marcus Years ?..this would be the perfect topic for that .The first Dover Reunion Wasn’t at Marcus…It was down past the Danbury Mall, in a ‘mini-mall”. But Soon found its home at Marcus along with the Cruise Night…lot of Cars and cruisers since ’88! Lot have faded away BUT the incredible thing is- Some of these Cars and owners ARE STILL Cruising to Marcus after all these years! Right ,Smokey?

Attachments:

smokey-dragct
                    Participant

hi dino
                        great pictures of the sycamore if you have more it would be great to see them. i remember the night that you stood on the roof by the sign to have your picture taken. you were right 1st. reunion was at the barnes and noble bookstore before they opened the next 19 years were at marcus dairy.
                        smokey

dino
                        Keymaster

Plenty of Cruisin Dover guys back THEN and NOW…Sycamore regulars…Flyin’ Phil Flynn, Shimer ,Big Al, Smokey, Ron Frost, Skip North,and tons more.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.