Hydrazine-Doomsday Fuel of the 60’s

Forums Forums BENCH RACING FROM THE PAST Hydrazine-Doomsday Fuel of the 60’s

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    dino
    Keymaster

Mentioned the word ‘HYDRAZINE’ in another topic when I got an instant ‘Flashback”…Green Flames-only 5% not used up will blow the heads off a Non-running Hemi…Reports of cars blowing the crank and pistons on the ground PARKED IN THE PITS. Karamesines still holds the altitude record for sending a blower aloft when he tipped the Hyrdazine can too far.

So heres some info on it:

Alton, Illinois, Sunday, April 4, 1960; on a typical spring Sunday in the Midwest – cool, crisp, and clear. The local drag strip is hosting a match race between one of the heaviest hitters of the day, Chris Karamesines Chicago based slingshot, powered by what was becoming the standard powerplant of fuel racing, the 392 Chrysler Hemi. The nickname for the hemi headed engines that were production equipment in big Chryslers was Chizlers, and the Golden Greek had named his state of the art slingshot after the engine itself.
        On this particular Sunday, the Golden Greek’s Chrysler was ready to go in a manner that was a bit unprecedented. When the car was push started; many knowledgeable and seasoned watchers noted that the engine sounded a bit different – the cackle a bit louder, crisper. Don Maynard, the exceptionally sharp crew chief of the Chi-town star, appeared to have really done his homework.
        The Greek left in the manner typical of dragsters of the day, the two rear tires throwing off a rooster tail plume of smoke. However, the car started to pull at mid range – hard –much harder than ever before. After a brief period of silence, the announcer read off the timers’ reading to the crowd – 8.82 @ 204.50 – a good 30 mph faster than the typical time of the day. The Greek did not back up the astounding mph that day, and did not in the immediate years afterward. However, a 199 mph clocking in Kansas a couple of weeks later indicated again that the Chizler had indeed come upon something.
        What was the difference this time? Over the years, dark accusations and less than complimentary statements were made concerning the driver, the facility, and the pass itself. A hoax, it was called a PR stunt. Maybe…but, then again, maybe it was not.
        The Greek had a secret that day and it was a dangerous, volatile secret. It was the same secret that would launch the USA’s Titan Rockets into space to put mankind into space orbit. The secret that the Soviet Union would use to power their ballistic missiles designed to thwart the threat of US aircraft. That secret was Hydrazine. Over the years, Hydrazine would prove to be the additive to use to put one’s name on the map, to make the “1320 news” as one of the players. It would also prove to be one of the most dangerous products that one could run, and would result in the destruction of equipment, and the injury of competitors.

MORE INFO AND GREAT READING HERE:
        http://euclidsbridge.wordpress.com/2011/11/21/drag-racing-pioneers-or-suicidal-nutjobs/

Attachments:

dino
        Keymaster

Storm King will know about this stuff…Rocket man that he is…The Ramchargers used it too in their Funny Cars..The Ramchargers 65 altered wheelbase Dodge cracked the eight-second barrier for the first time at Cecil County Maryland in the summer of 65, thus becoming the first stock bodied car into the eights. When driver Jim Thornton tripped the timers at 8.91, the Moon tank had been topped off with a dose of Hydrazine mixed in with the alcohol/nitro.

.Heres another good article:
            http://www.dragzine.com/news/flashback-friday-the-story-of-the-leathal-fuel-called-hydrazine/

dino
            Keymaster

So…Did any DOVER racers experiment with it?

babycakes
                Participant

Waita minute,who sez the Russians first used it and gave it a name ‘Hydrazine’? Actually it was first produced by a ‘still’ in the woods, behind the Carolina Sign Works building,and the ‘real’ name of it is ‘White Lightning (aka ‘moonshine).When you look at the illustration of the ‘toasted’ engine, tell em Dino,Carolina White Lightning has the same effect on your gut! Seriously,I don’t know if any of you guys ever tried it ‘straight’,I did and thought I would die!!!! Felt like battery acid going down my throat and boiling hot in my poor stomach! Anyway,I don’t want to get off the subject (Hydrazine) personally,1st I’ve heard of it 🙄

john-sachs-sr
                    Participant

Tom Grove (NOT Grover’s Brother) was booked in Dover one Sunday with his Mustang funny car running that stuff. I got to talking about it, and he said it was so bad you could rob banks with it, He put a small amount in a jar (with something else) and threw it at the left side dirt shoulder of the track where it instantlly exploded into a small fire ball. 😯 😯 😮
                        John

suptclark

I remember a 1968 funny car meet at NY National. We were staying at the same motel with Roger Lindamood and his mechanic Snake. Over dinner we spoke about hydrazine and its dangers. Wouldn’t you know,the following afternoon Color me Gone was next up in the staging lanes and Snake added the”secret” ingredient to the fuel tank. Moments later there was a break in the action and the fuel sat and cooked for over a half hour. At the 40 minute mark, Snake dumped the fuel tank on the ground. He told me that after 45 minutes the witches brew became concussion sensitive.
                            he did not dare to start the engine after that long wait.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.