ISLAND DRAGWAY CLOSING FOR GOOD !!!!!

Forums Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION ISLAND DRAGWAY CLOSING FOR GOOD !!!!!

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    vindicator
    Participant

๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€ Hey “Cakes”…I “assume” by your description of Island…there was further “decay” of the premises…haven’t been there in 6 years…since departing northeast for North Carolina…it indeed was looking a bit “tired” back then…of course $$$ may have been “tight” as car counts are down…everywhere…and that’s (should be!) what enables “privateers” like Kowaliks’/DeMarky to expend for continuous up-keep improvement theoretically…’eh…but let be said…that it is very possible to run a well kept small venue motorsport facility…tidy…neat…clean…safe (although there are always inherent danger (s) in motorsports)…don’t really want to get “too deep” with this…for sure “kudos” to Howard (he’s a good guy)…maybe just before we “annoint” him KING for a day ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† bear in mind the whole transformation @ Lebanon Valley (it’s awesome)…was spear-headed by the late Vincent Barletta…who had leased track from Howard & family…his untimely death precluded him seeing end result of his “dream” come true…however it pretty much was all in place…as you “see” it now…lastly…I can’t/won’t be convinced that you have to have a “mega tower/track/facility…to draw cars/fans..can readily name several small/local tracks that have a “handsome” annual bottom line…Numedia Dragway/Beaver Springs (ol’ Beaver Bob ๐Ÿ˜† ) in Pennslyvania come to mind…lots of hard work…very good local public relations…a genuine welcome feeling for all…they “hit” the ball out of the park…every year…and have for many years… ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€ …there’s no further “need” to discuss the why or how of Island’s problems…the “key” is the issue at hand…can/will it be saved (?!)…or will the racing “body” in the Northeast…simply be…with one less race (drag) track…all of what has been mentioned can/should be done…to “attempt” to make it somewhat awesome…could well preclude reasonable $$$…then the possibilty (?) exists for huge $$$ infused from generally non-racing types…who’s primary/only interest is ROI …the “flavor” of Island as I see it…is blue collar/grass roots “cats”…@ 3360 feet long (pavement)…it’s not ever gonna’ be the “big show” ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† nor was Dover…without major infusion of serious $$$…Island just ain’t ever gonna’ be Raceway Park…unless Donald Trump & the “like”…stop building luxury golf courses…and get the “fever” for dragstrip ownership/development ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† the fact is Island may well have been in business longer than Raceway Park may be…going forward…lots of issues there…founders all have passed away…siblings don’t have anywhere near the passion that dads’…Vinnie,Richie,Uncle Louie had…property worth a ton…even in these times…if you are building a car for Raceway…wouldn’t “wait” 10 years to do it…good “bet”…it’ll be memory before that (sadly)… hope…”hoss” springs…eternal… ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€ Drake

babycakes
        Participant

Drake,thank you for the response,no ‘truer’ words spoken! I stand corrected; Vince Barletta (not Howie) should get ‘all’ the credit keeping Lebanon Valley Dragstrip alive! He could foresee the potential and profits it could make,updating the track,expanding the shut down area to run 300 mph speeds,paved staging lanes,enclosed trailers left there during the week,new grandstands,along with the new modern timing tower.Sadly he was taken too soon to enjoy the fruits of his labor.Your also right about Ed and Kay Kowalik,who owned Island,they did give it there all on a ‘tight’ budget for years to keep the ‘strip’ going for us,and we’re all ‘thankful’ for that to have been lucky to have raced there in our lifetime! Yes,I agree,’Island’ doesn’t have to be extravagant like ‘E’ town; a little lipstick and makeup is all it needs to make it presentable and ‘green’ and ‘clean’ once again for the D.E.P. issue. It’s a ‘diamond in the rough’ (remember also,the complete strip was repaved,just a few year’s ago when we had our 1st.Dover Nostalgia Drags there).Last but not least,yes,I hope Hank Dinger takes the ‘invite’ joining Dino for the Dover 5th.Again Drake,thank you for setting me straight,and ‘hopefully’ Island can be resurrected by one kind soul with a thick wallet!

vindicator
            Participant

๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€ Hey “Cakes”…whoa Wilbur…I didn’t/don’t mean to present myself as the “authority”…in these matters…but…I’ve made it my “business” to know what’s truly going on in “matters” of motorsport for 50 plus years now…have a number of solid reliable sources/operatives/genuine friends…to have the “facts” (from the “inside”…out)…just the facts per Dragnet’s Joe Friday ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† my last dream/goal in this life…is to maybe own/operate a motorsport facility…time/age…surely isn’t in my favor now…have been pretty close…’er real close several times…maybe here in North Carolina…it still is maybe possible…Ed/Kay/Tony/Kathy (Island) always great to me… the late Vinnie,Richie,Uncle Louie (Raceway)…same…great friends…business (bookings often for years too)…Howard & aformentioned long ago/time manager…Don Kline…real good people… ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€ …but it seems to me…the spotlight “glow” on Lebanon Valley…gives total credit to one who in fact hands on participation was very limited at best…’course the late Vinny Barletta…isn’t around for his well due just accolades…so naturally…someone else can (apparently “must” ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† ) take credit “kudos” for awesome forsight…yada-yada … ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† sort of like Al Gore “inventing” the internet ‘eh… ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† …that’s “it” for now “hoss”…I’m off the proverbial “soapbox”…had a very nice day @ Nascar Institute of Technology yesterday (Mooresville,North Carolina)…invited…as their only drag race car display (our Top Dragster Euro buddy’s very beautiful car)…on their annual “Toys for Tots” day… met/spoke/talked to lots of truly great people…for genuine great cause… ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€ but that’s another story…for another time ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€ Drake…p.s..know “real” story (s)…direct from Austin Coil-John Force ending…not even close/why to Force’s made for TV “tale”…same for Tim Richards-Don Schumacher parting…Tim is a man amongst men…a true legend… who earned it…the Smith Barney way..his nickname “the General” fits like a glove (unlike OJ’s ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† )…lastly recent Lee Beard-Cruz Pedregon split…best summed up by Lee’s public statement…”Cruz’s ego way exceeds his talent”…U…get the “idea”…the “facts”/confident-c-ality… stays as such at this point…just pointing out…there’s always…way more to the “puzzle”…then one might believe/read/see/hear ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜†

dino
                Keymaster

by thekidd312 ยป Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:40 pm

I heard Island is cloing that sucks big time. Been going there 1st time with uncles 1967 then 1969 ran there my self for 1st time. The only place i liked better was Pocono Drag Lodge. This will be the end for alot of dragracers who cant aford to travel. My plans are up in the air for nexted year. Have lots to remember. Hope maybe someday some one can find away to reopen it. poltics and tree huggers win again. 1st place i took my son and 1st place he drove himself. the place i got my 50 yearold bother inlaw to try it and then we ran all over for 3 years till his heath failed. was hoping someday to take my grandson and hoped it would be the 1st place he got to try it ion one of my cars. REST IN PEACE ( island dragway ) but hope not always. Billy TheKidd Bender

dino
                    Keymaster

by Babycakes ยป Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:37 am

Billy,’keep the faith’,there’s got to be somebody out there who has brains and bucks enough to see that ‘diamond in the rough’! All the ‘basic’s are there! It just needs some spit and polish to bring it back to life! I’m trying myself to have a ‘positive’ attitude it will happen in the near future!
                        Babycakes

……Anyone Ever Figure Its Not politics or Treehuggers…”Maybe” they didn’t Pay their taxes and “maybe” they got caught dunping into the steam.Maybe “They” are the problem.

super-sport-pete

HI GUYS! some positive thoughts today on island. went there after dover + ct. dragway closed in 76. sat nite, late sept. my car ran two tenths faster than it ever did first run. as it cooled down and the track got covered with dew, out came the flamethrower ! never saw one of those. car ran another tenth faster, then big wheely, then BROKEN AXLE !! larry clouatre was also there as i went by on the tow truck with 3 WHEELS, holding up an axle. don scinto, larry and I changed the axle in no time,and out
                            i went to do another wheelie and break the output shaft of the trans on the dry hop.we laughed so hard ! in my garage were 2 brand new “HENRYS” axles.

dino
                            Keymaster
                                hvy70ss
                                Participant

Still can’t beleive it…like reading an obituary. Already heard many racers heading to the ‘Valley this season. My question is, how long before we announce the first Island Dragway Nostalgia drags?

Bobby Smith

dino
                                    Keymaster

BULLITEN….Just Copied ALL this From Melissa DeMarky’s FaceBook posts:

I’ve been telling people from the time of the “announcement” not to give up hope. Most of the reasons listed were blown out of proportion. There is always a chance and I’m pretty surprised that a magazine would write in an article that the gates are closed “forever” because that’s just a dumb statement. The problem is that people underestimate the cost of operating a drag strip, complain about gate prices being too high, then complain when facility updates aren’t up to national event standards, then complain when a place like this closes because there was no money. Imagine wanting to be in a business where no matter what you do, its wrong. If people want Island to re-open, those that are “offering” to do a fund raiser may have to put their money where their mouth is.
                                        ยท April 12 at 4:31pm

There is nothing set in stone, nothing down on paper yet, but I just wanted to reiterate what I’ve said from the beginning, all is not lost and there’s still a possibility, as there always has been.
                                        April 13 at 8:50am ยท

Melissa DeMarcky
                                        For those that don’t know me, I am the third generation of Island Dragway. I stepped away for the last two years for personal reasons, but I am back and trying to work out a resolution. If and when there is more to be told and something solid to announce I will get the website back up and/or our facebook page and will do it there. This page was kindly set up by a fan, but is not operated by anyone involved (to my knowledge anyhow), it was simply brought to my attention by some friends.
                                        April 16 at 5:11pm via mobile

babycakes
                                        Participant

No doubt it’s gonna take someone with a fat wallet,and a big heart,to resurrect ‘Island’ once again! It’s got good potential (hey! 50+ years in business!). The basics are there already, the track was just repaved a few year’s ago! Some building updates,along with modern rest rooms, hey,a little lipstick and makeup is all it would take to make it ‘alive’ again! Like me.’keep the faith’,I’ve got golden memories of it since 1960,and when we had our first Dover Race there,I was shocked,and very surprised to see ‘Duke’ Snyder (Official Inspector) still working the inspection line since 1960!!! An Island Dragway ‘Legend’! ๐Ÿ˜ฎ ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜‰

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.