Island dragway to reopen!

Forums Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION Island dragway to reopen!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    anthonyc
        dino
        Keymaster

COMPLETE NEWS REPORT AT BANGSHIFT:
            Thatโ€™s right folks, Island Dragway which closed last December, is reopening! They sent us the news, saying that they are looking for some help, but are hoping to be up and running again as early as July! Itโ€™s great news for an old drag strip that has fallen on hard times. We need to do all we can to support our local dragstrips and keep them open for future racers. We donโ€™t have a lot of detail at this time, but will bring you more information as we get it.

Until then, here is what they have announced on the Help Keep Island Dragway Facebook page.

Island Dragway

After months of waiting, listening, reorganizing and a great deal of thought we are finally ready to make the public announcement that we hope everybody has been waiting for. We WILL be re-opening during the 2013 season!! We are HOPING for sometime as soon as July. The rumors about financial hardship are true and we are not out of the woods yet, though with proper management and some luck from the weather we hope to stick around for a long time!

There seemed to be people coming out of the woodwork to offer a helping hand, so we would like to take some up on that offer. If you would like to donate some time or money please send us an email at helpinghands@islanddragway.com with your name and contact info, every little bit helps! Local businesses who would like to set up a sponsorship package, please contact us as well, this is bound to be one of our best seasons with the amount of publicity we have gotten as of late!

We are looking for EMS providers for this season. Any EMS providers with Friday-Sunday availability please email manager@islanddragway.com

We are also looking for clubs interested in hosting or helping with special events, particularly Import, Truck and Rat Rod/Jalopy events. If you know of a club or are just have some AWESOME ideas, please send an email to events@islanddragway.com

dino
            Keymaster

Just In From Melissa :
                “Hey Dino! We are working on the grand reopen, I have finally convinced mom that we’ve got to do it. I do still have your number and will give you a call later today or tomorrow. Swamped right now with emails and other work to do, so just wanted to let you know I saw your message!”

Melissa

mikey

Hope it all works out. I always liked that place, old school, out in the woods. Used to have lots of trophies from there. ………………Mikey ๐Ÿ˜†

babycakes
                    Participant

YES!!!!!!! GREAT NEWS! ๐Ÿ˜ฎ ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€ Pete

topgun
                        Participant

Great news !
                            been going to island since early 70″s
                            Rich topgun

dino
                            Keymaster

ITS OFFICIAL…Grand Reopening JULY 5th-6-7
                                New Website:
                                http://www.islanddragway.com/

schedule is tentative:
                                http://www.islanddragway.com/index.php/2012-03-05-03-39-30

Grand Opening
                                Scheduled for July 5, 6, 7
                                โ– Friday, July 5 – Friday Night Street Legal
                                โ– Saturday and Sunday, July 6 & 7 – Nostalgia Nationals with optional Test/Tune. Race and Show Classes for all vehicles 1983 and older!

Weekly Pricing Pricing is subject to change

Wednesday Family Nights Spectator: $10
                                w/ Military ID: $8
                                Racer, Driven in: $20
                                Racer, Trailered or Unmuffled: $30

Friday Night Street Legal Spectator: $12
                                (w/military ID): $8
                                Racer: $25

Raceday with Points Spectator: $15
                                (w/military ID): $10
                                After 1st Round: $10/carload
                                Super Pro: $70
                                Pro: $60
                                Street: $40
                                Bike/Sled: $40
                                Trophy: $35
                                Jr. Dragster: $35 (includes 1 adult)

Test/Tune
                                Spectator: $15
                                (w/military ID): $10
                                Racer: $35

thekidd312

so glad reopening been going since mid 60s with uncles late 60s started running there myself. dragracing needed ISLANd. hope to see a lot of you back there. need to keep[ open. now they need to get clubs to run nostalgia drags again like getting east coast rod and custom back. well see you at the drags. BILLY THE KIDD BENDER

tomatohead
                                    Participant

……To ME this is GREAT NEWS โ— โ— โ— ๐Ÿ˜€ I can not tell you how much this means to ME ๐Ÿ˜€ โ— I am so HAPPY โ— and will load up the Fairlane and head down to ISLAND โ— โ— โ— ,its not forever but I have been going to ISLAND since 1997 …………….and two of the “DOVER RACES” were at ISLAND โ— The only thing that would be as GREAT as this would be “DOVER ” opening again …….. ๐Ÿ˜€ so off to Island โ— …………………. heres a picture of me racing with my BEST BUDDY V-BOB at ISLAND โ— ๐Ÿ˜€ ……. see you soon โ—

Attachments:

babycakes
                                        Participant

Joe,I was there when it opened in ’60’, up until the mid ‘ 80’s, took a break from it all, and after that,just attended the ‘Valley’s’ Nostalgia Drags and Car Shows in spring and fall. Found memories of Island, are forever permanent in my heart and brain for my ‘golden’ days of drag racing. When we had our Dover 1 and 2 drags there,it rekindled the flame once again, being there, and having nostalgia drag cars running, to put the icing on the cake! Very ‘HAPPY’ to hear somebody realized it’s popularity,and potential with a little T.L.C. A ‘big’ THANK YOU to those individuals who made it happen!!!! ๐Ÿ˜‰ ๐Ÿ˜€ Pete.

bobby-s

Just got this e mail from Les.

Island Dragway will re-open on Thursday, July 4thโ€ฆ

The original owners granddaughter will be handling the operation,
                                                ( Not Cathy the drunk, who ran the place into the ground ) !
                                                Contact him with any questions about this e-mail.
                                                This is not a rumor !

dino
                                                Keymaster

I did this a few posts back..” It’s All Here” …FRIDAY july 5 First day open at 6pm. ..Guys…Ya gotta read ALL the posts & pages in a topic before repeating everything ๐Ÿ˜‰

ITS OFFICIAL…Grand Reopening JULY 5th-6-7
                                                    New Website:
                                                    http://www.islanddragway.com/
                                                    schedule is tentative:
                                                    http://www.islanddragway.com/index.php/2012-03-05-03-39-30

…..Melissa and her Fiance are in contact with me…they’re running the show now…Les’ comment about Cathy, probably not for public view but too late now. That Was Tony’s wife..Mellisa’s Mom .I have my own impression of her…I’ll keep it to myself. Lets let this stay on a positive note. And I’m sure they’de like to see those of you that have a soft spot for the place …show up to support. We’re Locked into Lebanon for Our event…every one on the same page with that. Doesn’t mean you guys can’t ‘ressurect’ Bobby Smith’s Dover Racing Team Idea and go around as a group.I could help with the scheduling and contacting tracks. Island being one of them…Ala East Coast Gassers and all the other groups. The Neto guys always had points races there.Right on their Home page …It Says This:
                                                    “We are currently seeking clubs that would like to hold special events ranging from simply setting aside lanes for you and your club members during a race to weekday rentals to all out 2-day events. Please contact us at events@islanddragway.com

HERES A SHOT OF FRIDAYS “RACERS MEETING”…Melissa said:
                                                    “Great turn out for the Island Dragway racers meeting!!!!

Attachments:

bobby-s

Just got this from Les from Westchester St. Rods. Looks like a great turn out to support the grandaughter
                                                        More photos on the WSRA Facebook Pageโ€ฆ
                                                        Via the WSRA web page โ€ฆ
                                                        http://www.westchesterstreetrodassociation.com

babycakes
                                                        Participant

GREAT NEWS!!!! Thanks for the update Bobby!

dino
                                                            Keymaster

Melissa DeMarcky said this on Face Book:
                                                                Thank you to everyone who helped make this happen! This weekend was unbelievable! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Ps, I corrected them, I am not owner nor am I Eddie Kowalicks daughter, I am one of 2 managers and his granddaughter. Other than that a very nice article

Article in Local Paper

Lehigh Valley Times Express

Amid the loud, screeching sounds of revved engines, Island Dragway in rural Warren County reopened this weekend after unexpectedly closing in January.
                                                                The family race track that first opened in 1960 hosted a grand reopening weekend that began with street-legal and “grudge” races Friday. The celebration continued with bracket racing today, and “nostalgia nationals” and a car show were scheduled for Sunday.
                                                                “We were expecting a big crowd; we were not anticipating that big of a crowd that we got and it’s really pretty fantastic that we did,” Island Dragway owner Melissa DeMarcky said of the turnout to Friday’s races.
                                                                DeMarcky said the track was closed due to financial difficulties, largely from flooding. The closing of the 53-year-old, quarter-mile track was announced in January by the National Hot Rod Association, which sanctions drag races.
                                                                DeMarcky said closing the track just off Hope Road and Route 46 in Independence Township “sort of helped us in a way.”
                                                                “People realized that it’s not something to be taken for granted and that it is a family-run business and is vulnerable, especially to weather changes,” she said.
                                                                DeMarcky credited public support to spur the reopening. Shortly after the closing, a Facebook page called “Help Keep Island Dragway” sprung up and quickly garnered followers.
                                                                “The town and the community is behind us 100 percent,” she said. “Even the police were directing traffic. I told them ‘I’m sorry I didn’t mean to, you know, block the road,’ and they said we want to see you do good.”
                                                                Race fans were pleased.
                                                                “It’s nice to come down and watch the track and watch the cars and have fun,” Elizabeth Alexander, of Liberty Township, said at the races Friday. “It’s exciting.”
                                                                Chris Redington, of Susquehanna, Pa., said he raced at Island Dragway in the past and that he’s looking forward to racing there again.
                                                                “(I’m) looking forward to it; of course (my sons) can’t wait to get behind the wheel too,” he said.
                                                                DeMarcky, the daughter of former Island Dragway owner Eddie Kowalick, plans to offer more varieties of racing in the future, particularly novelty cars.
                                                                “We plan on doing a lot more specialty events and catering to the crowd to try and get more spectators in and get more races that people like to come and watch,” she said.
                                                                Island Dragway will host family nights July 10 and 24 and street-legal races July 12, 19 and 26.
                                                                The venue celebrated its 50th anniversary in 2010. Drag racing legends “Big Daddy” Don Garlits, Jungle Jim Lieberman, Joe Amato and TV Tommy Ivo were among those who have raced at the facility.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.