JIM RYAN 427 FAIRLANE

Forums Forums WHERE ARE THEY NOW ? JIM RYAN 427 FAIRLANE

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    dino
    Keymaster

Jim Ryan sent these shots of his 427 Fairlane A/S …How ’bout the pit shot with those “new” cars in the background . Hauling at the finish lane is a nice vantage .

Attachments:

vindicator
        Participant

😀 😀 😀 HEY DINO..JIM RYAN WAS PARTNERS WITH JOHN DOWNING (DOWNING & RYAN RACE TEAM)…BELIEVE THEY BOTH WORKED FOR FORD MOTOR CO. ON THE SERVICE SIDE…A FEW YEARS AFTER THE 427/FAIRLANE…THEY “TEAMED” WITH SUPER STOCK MAGAZINE…TO BUILD/RUN THE PROJECT PRO STOCK MAVERICK… A BOSS 429 POWERED “BUDGET” CAR…BOB BROWN (DROVE)…HE OF (ANOTHER “JERSEY” GUY) ’65 PLYMOUTH HEMI STICK/SHIFT…LATER A GOOD ’68 MUSTANG 428 COBRA JET STICK SUPER/STOCK CAR…JUST BEFORE THE PRO/STOCK DEAL…SEEM TO REMEMBER BOBBY WON A NHRA DIV. 1 POINTS RACE WITH THE CJ CAR… 😀 😀 😀 …ALL THREE GUYS REAL GOOD..TUFF…NORTH JERSEY RACERS…SMART…SAVVY…BOB COULD “ROW” THE 4-SPEED 😆 😆 😆 …BELIEVE THE MAVERICK “TALE”…COST ‘EM A BUNCH (THOSE DAYS “MONEY”)…OF MONEY…AND A LOT OF BROKEN PARTS 😥 😥 😥 …AND TO THE BEST MY “KNOWLEDGE”…THAT PRETTY ENDED THEIR DRAG RACIN’ “TIMES”…ALTHOUGH SOME YEARS LATER…I DID HEAR BOB BROWN…WAS GOING TO… OR DID RUN A CAR AGAIN…JIM’S FAIRLANE…THE ’66 PICTURED…WAS ONE OF …BELIEVE.. 57… PRODUCED IN ’66 BY FORD WITH THE 427 DUAL 4V..425 HP RATED MOTOR…WHICH INCLUDED THE KINDA’ “WEIRD” GLASS HOOD W/SCOOP…THAT BABY WOULD BRING SOME SERIOUS…DOE…RE…ME… 😆 😆 😆 @ BARRETT JACKSON TODAY…AS BACK IN THOSE DAYS..A SUPER/STOCK CAR WASN’T REALLY “CUT” UP MUCH… 😀 😀 😀 DRAKE

dino
            Keymaster

Whew…The Jersey plate on the car threw me off …knew youd’e know .

bossguy

Drake, Bob Brown built my first Boss 302 drag race motor. It went 10’s in a 69 mustang. Don Antillia of Ct. ended up buying this car and restoring it perfectly. I sold him the NOS 427 fender badges for 50.00 at the Rhinebeck Antique car show and turned around and bought a childs recliner for my 3 yr old son at the same show (just like dad’s!)
                    I never met Jim, he’s the cousin of a friend of mine from high school. Last I heard he was working for BMW in NJ. Probably retired. I’m not sure if Don still has the car. I have a pic around here somwwhere. looks just as good as these.

bossguy

Bob Brown supposedly moved to Colorado after the Maverick.

paul-ceasrine

In one of the Ford Dearborn it mistakenly stated that Jim won in A/S in 1967 at Dover.

He won the A/S Class in late-1966 at Dover, with a 427/410 (single-carbed) 1966 Fairlane 500.
                            I wonder if Patsy Judson or Bump DeWitt were running against the 66′ Ford with one of their 66′ Mopar 426 Street-Hemi’s.

pc

babycakes
                            Participant

Dusting the cobwebs in my brain,I think around ’72’ Jim was involved with a Pro-Stock Maverick that was white,with red accents? I think it was called the ‘Rattler’? I think he was the ‘wrenchman’,I’m not sure? Does anyone remember as a ‘fact’? I do remember him and Downing running SS/C with the 427 Fairlane prior to that.

paul-ceasrine

Jim Ryan ran his 1966 Ford Fairlane 500 427/410 HP (single-carb) car in A/Stock in 1966.

In 1967, he partnered up with Lou Downing, and they ran a 1967 Fairlane 500 427/425 HP (dual-quad) in SS/B.

In 1968, the car was classed in SS/C, but sometimes they would run with a single-carb and run SS/D.

In 1969, they ran a 68′ Cobra-Jet Mustang in SS/G (NHRA changed up the Super/Stock classes for 1969).

pc

vindicator
                                    Participant

😀 😀 😀 Paulie…Paulie…Paulie…Jim’s partner…was John Downing…Lou Downing…did do a lil’ racing… most notably…with a Super/Stock AMC-AMX…YOU ARE VERY WELL READ…have vast “old knowledge”….& paper collection…especially for a “dude” that was all of 9-10 years old in latter 60’s 😆 😆 😆 …ya’ know…I love ya’ “hoss”…you do a great job of keeping the “fires” burning about the ol’ “daze”…I truly enjoy your very accurate “trivia”…info…as I’m sure…many…many…others do…Lewis Bloom now NHRA/TV “stats” guy…former-employee of Raceway Park…doesn’t have your moment to moment great re-collection (he does have the resources to get it looked up in the archives pretty readily!!!) 😆 😆 😆 keep up the very good “work”…you are the most interesting personality on Class Racer site…most of the other “cats” just want to cry about the new Chrysler Challengers/Ford Mustangs…which has been a clear cut “reminder” of why we have avoided Stock/Super-Stock racing…all these years!!! 😆 😆 :lol:…the Maverick Boss 429 Pro Stock car was in Super/Stock magazine “colors” (SS-Magazine “Project” Car)…also “believe” the (’66 427) SS/B Fairlane in question was Richie Marcey’s (Stamford,CT) car…he owned “Branded” Chevelle (A/G) prior…real good guy…later ran same Fairlane with automatic…bear in mind…don’t have no….”papers”…surely not a computer “guru”…but memory (which isn’t what it wuz…for sure)…still…ain’t 1/2 bad….but don’t try to take…this…or any other re-collection I might have…to the “bank” for deposit…it’s not the “gospel” ‘eh 😆 😆 😆 Drake

vindicator
                                        Participant

😀 😀 😀 Hey Babycakes…the “Rattler”…Pro/Stock Maverick…you “remember”…wuz the “Jersey Rattler”…of Spotswood,New Jersey…Sengstack brothers…powered by a real 427 SOHC Ford…they were/are real “good guys”…Larry Sengstack (driver) absolute gentleman/smart guy…actually ran quite well in later years with a 351C/Fairmont Pro Stock car…before…it…became…”all”…about…$$$…they built very good quality enclosed trailers too…American Flyer…back in the day… 😀 😀 😀 Drake…p.s “Bossman”…last I knew…the…one…and only…”real” Bob Brown (a talented “dude” for sure)…wuz living in Arizona…still a bit “connected” with drag racin’ too 😀 😀 😀

paul-ceasrine

DRAKESTER,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

MY BAD,,,,,,,,(ERROR),,,,,,,,,I PULLED A ‘CHOO CHOO’ COLEMAN ,,,,,,,LOST THE GROUND-BALL IN THE SUN,,,,,,,,, 😆

LOU DOWNING,,,,,,,,,”PETE’S PATRIOT’,,,,, SUPER/STOCK AMX,,,,,,,,

JOHN DOWNING IS THE CORRECT ‘DOWNING’,,,,,,A FORD BY SURE,,,,,,

NEXT UP,,,,,,,,,,,,,’AL’ DOWNING,,,,,,,,,,WHAT CAR DID HE RACE,,,,,,,??????,,,,,,,, 😆

paulie

BY THE WAY,,,,,,,,,ISN’T V.P. JOE BIDEN DOING A WONDERFUL JOB FOR US AMERICANS,,,,,,,,,, 😆 😆

babycakes
                                                Participant

Thank you ‘Vindicator’ for answering my question with the ‘correct’ info on the ‘Rattler’ Maverick,owned by the Sengstack Bros.It finally sank in my cob-webbed’ brain!

vindicator
                                                    Participant

😀 😀 😀 Hey…here’s a lil’ x-tra “trivia” for ya’…the Sengstacks ‘(Larry & brother Gary)…were very good friends of John Skistimas (Raceway Speed Center,BordentownN,J)…he-who purchased the Larsen Ford/Bob Hamilton A/FX SOHC Mustang…ran the car on the old CRA (Competition Racing Association ) circuit as a C/A…with much success…that car wuz the original “Jersey Rattler” (painted blue)…the SOHC motor from that car…made it’s way into the Sengstack bros. Pro/Stock Maverick (minus the injectors)…John Skistimas went on to a series of Funny cars…racing with us in The East Coast Fuel Funny Car Circuit for some years…originally partnered up with “Crazy” Jake Crimmins…later his brother-in-law…Tom Stapelton….it’s sometimes a “small” world”…”hoss”…and a tangled “web” we weave ‘eh 😆 😆 :lol:…the Larsen car went through a “bevy” of owners (all…non-racers…just $$$ guys)…and went through awesome original restoration…last “seen” on auction block (s) (owner Pacific Northwest)…with reserve price in neighborhood of $750,000…no takers in this economic period…but it did bid to $400,000-plus….so that’s a wrap…for a.m. at least of 12/12/11 😆 😆 😆 Drake

babycakes
                                                        Participant

WOW Drake,”THANK YOU” for knowing all that ‘info’ and passing it onto us ODF’s Very INTERESTING,to say the least! That’s some price tag,even though the bid still hit 400g’s! Like they say,’if we only known’ and bought these drag cars back then,we’d be ‘millionares’ today!

vindicator
                                                            Participant

😆 😆 😆 Hey Baby cakes…not sure if I really “know” this stuff…might have just dreamt it…or…maybe… worse yet…made it up…!!! 😆 😆 😆 these days…stuff just floats in & out of the “cabbage patch” between my ears ‘eh 😆 😆 😆 the one guy…way before the “information highway” that truly wuz a walking encyclopedia of accurate information…about drag racers/racing…was the late…Dover’s “own”…”Big”John Pontiac Benson…a very,very special “cat”…truly…my and many others good fortune in this life…to have as a friend 😀 😀 😀 …like Robert DeNiro said in a movie some time ago…”I know a lil’ bit…about…a lil’ bit” 😆 😆 😆 Drake…p.s. gotta’ go now…the one & only… real…”Cactus” Jack just called…like “Spot” the Dawg…when U hear the bell…come/go runnin’ 😆 😆 😆

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.