Jocko’s…Poughkeepsie

Forums Forums SPEED SHOPS from Dover’s past Jocko’s…Poughkeepsie

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    dino
    Keymaster

His real name was almost un-pronouncable…Jocko Mojockomo or something. Here’s something from the vault., from a Dover program..check out those prices ! :

Attachments:

bossguy

It’s Maggiacomo. I believe his father co-drove the Monte Carlo winning 64 or 65 holman moody Falcon, Jockos was on Rt 9 in Poughkeepsie near Central Hudson as long as I remember. I moved to Dutchess in 75. The row of stores he was part of burned to the ground a few years ago. Just a strip of concrete with for sale signs on it now. He might still be living in Millbrook.

bossguy

dino
            Keymaster

Ok …that explains the Established 1945 …Dad started it…He ended up with a big rig and Nascar involvement .

sixfiend

After I converted my 68′ SS396 Camaro from its origianl 375hp 396ci to the SixFiend with 292 Chevy truck motor for H/MP I was always looking for a few bucks to help support the effort. And for a time Jocko’s helped. I was going to Dutchess Community College and worked part time a Jocko’s so we had the car lettered up JOCKO’S and I probably got some parts at cost ❓ Not much of a sponsorship but every little bit helped.

Here are a few pic’s that I found with Jocko’s Lettering….. 😀

Attachments:

sixfiend

Notice that the car didn’t have a permanent number… just a shoe polish number on the window.

I guess I was in the MONEY with the $ (dollar sign) on the window. Is that right Dino?

And is that a wisp of smoke coming off those slicks….. Holy Cow!

Attachments:

sixfiend

Heading home after a hard day at the track. The wagon is what I bought for transportation when I took the Camaro off the road to race. I used the setup in this picture to tow to the US Nationals in 69′ or 70′. The wagon broke a cam gear just south of Columbus OH going out and a wheel bearing near the same spot coming home. Luckily I had a Submarine shipmate that lived just outside of Indy. He and his friend came to the rescue and we were able to tow the race car and trailer with his car and the wagon with his buddy’s pick up. Then he lent me his car to tow the rig to the races at Indy and I stayed at his place during the long US Nationals week.

I was a member of the Crankmaster’s Auto Club in Hopewell Junction. Any other members of the Crankmaster’s on the forum?

Attachments:

hvy70ss
                            Participant

Pat….Nice pics and story. Do you have any shots from ’74 or ’75 you could post? I’ll never forget that screamin’ 6 cylinder….I swear it was louder than some of the blown cars!! Thanks!

Bob Smith

dino
                                Keymaster

You Got The $ when you lined up for the elim!. Final Money run. Charlie would go up the Lanes with his paint can & Brush . Was our Indication up in the Tower for the Final. Crankmasters has Heading Now at Car Clubs … just got a reply . WE DO NEED later years photos….74,75 & 76 (only a few weeks) Missing -don’t know why.

brokenaxle
                                        quote dinotheweirdo:

Ok …that explains the Established 1945 …Dad started it…He ended up with a big rig and Nascar involvement .

I can remember the farther racing the stock cars at Riverside Park Agawam Mass.He was the man to beat.Sometime in the late 70s when I bought The Little stinker and a balancing machine and some other tools that Wess had bought from Jockos because Wess was moving to Florida and needed the money to start over.All good people.Lots of good times.Vic from Vics Speed Shop

brokenaxle
                                            quote HVY70SS:

Pat….Nice pics and story. Do you have any shots from ’74 or ’75 you could post? I’ll never forget that screamin’ 6 cylinder….I swear it was louder than some of the blown cars!! Thanks!

Bob Smith

jimbiron-hotmail-com
                                                quote Sixfiend:

Heading home after a hard day at the track. The wagon is what I bought for transportation when I took the Camaro off the road to race. I used the setup in this picture to tow to the US Nationals in 69′ or 70′. The wagon broke a cam gear just south of Columbus OH going out and a wheel bearing near the same spot coming home. Luckily I had a Submarine shipmate that lived just outside of Indy. He and his friend came to the rescue and we were able to tow the race car and trailer with his car and the wagon with his buddy’s pick up. Then he lent me his car to tow the rig to the races at Indy and I stayed at his place during the long US Nationals week.

I was a member of the Crankmaster’s Auto Club in Hopewell Junction. Any other members of the Crankmaster’s on the forum?

While not taken at Dover, some of you must remember Scott K and his 67 Vette ‘The Rooster’.

Attachments:

timh

JOCKO senior had his orignal shop on WINNIKE AVE. uptown pok.1 block off main st. I worked there in early 50,s he then moved to rte. 9. the shop on 9 was in fromt of a trailer park when the new ARTERIAL was built it went right thru his place. they built the new place which later burned. JOCKOS real first name was CHAUNCEY !!! he also drove at Le manns FRANCE where he stopped his car to pull a driver out of a burning car. he was given the FRENCH medal of HONER. HE WAS A LEGEND ON SHORT ASPHALT TRACKS IN THE NORTHEAST. TIM HALLOCK

mikey

Hey, nice shot of “The Rooster”, but shortly after that photo, the “Jocko’s” came off the doors, and big”M&M Speed “decals appeared. The Sr. Jocko was a really great guy, the son,eh. ……………..Mikey 😆

P.S. Just my personal opinion.

spidergearsman

in 1980 , visting the relatives in PO TOWN , we begged our mom to to stop by jockos to see if we could catch a look at his olds 442 winston cup car ..it was the monday after the pocono race , which I was at ….the blue and yellow #63 was sponsored by shaw motors olds chev in beacon [now healy brothers ]
                                                            the car was in the shop , engine out …old jocko was inside , sawing a cylinder head on the band saw , looking to find the crack that blew the motor
                                                            I was only 15 ..didn’t know much other than asking …Is that a TURBO SLANT PLUG HEAD ??
                                                            yes , said warren brownfield ported it on the west coast and that it cracked
                                                            he showed me around the shop , they had a heenan and froude dyno and the biggest toolbox I ever saw ..
                                                            nice guys , they let me feel like a real racer for one day and the bug bit hard after that !!!
                                                            couldn’t figure out how with all that cool equipment , they would go a lap down by lap 5 all the time …
                                                            young jocko had the misfortune of t boning bobby allison at pocono in 1988 , as humpy wheeler said his book , ending both of their nascar careers

babycakes
                                                            Participant

Back in the 80’s a ‘stock’ car friend of mine,Ronnie VanEtten from Rhinecliffe N.Y. (no# 308) ran both Lebanon and Middletown tracks,had his race car on Jocko’s ‘dyno’ and picked up an additional 17 horsepower with jetting and timing.It doesn’t seem like much,but it’s a ‘edge’ on your competition ,not to mention playing the ‘guessing’ game if you were to do these modifications yourself.No doubt about it,Jocko was a sharp and seasoned racer!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.