JOHN GUNN ……RIP

Forums Forums WHERE ARE THEY NOW ? JOHN GUNN ……RIP

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    dino
    Keymaster

THIS JUST POSTED AT http://www.classracer.com …Will get more info:
        By E MAN 1982
        Boyertown, Pa.
        “It is with great saddness, that I inform you, that John lost his battle with cancer today. It was quite a few years ago, that John took a phone call from a racer he hardly knew. The driver was looking for a ride, one John didn’t have advailable at the time. John said his ride was promised out for the season, but he had a Oldsmobile roller sitting around. Well, I took his offer and found, in him, a great friend & mentor. You never really miss your friends until they are gone. I will miss you John! Godspeed E. “

don-kauer

John Gunn: NHRA and Dover standout….A local Dutchess Co. Hero…….You will be missed….RIP…Don Kauer….

dino
            Keymaster

Brian in Kingston Called…said he heard a Phone message to someone from friend of Johns at Hospital confirming.
                ………..Just Talked To Keith at the Shop…Happened about 2 today…Told him Help was Close and keep me posted.

Attachments:

babycakes
                Participant

Wow! Another shocker and a ‘GREAT’ loss to a ‘talented’ and ‘skillful’ man.A local drag racing legend that will sadly be missed by many.My sympathy and prayers go out to his family.May he rest in peace.

bossguy

RIP John 😥

dino
                        Keymaster

well…another of our comrades and part of the Dover ‘Family’ has joined the others we have lost….got to be some kind of bench racing going on up there.It’s life and we have have to accept it….don’t have to like it. I told Keith to extend our support to his wife at this time ….and I will post the funeral info as soon as I can get it. Many of you are in the area ,and I’m sure will be attending.Thanks for the runs and memories John…… A racer and winner til the end.

patina
                            Participant

Rest in peace John, you will be missed.

Pat

dover1320

I’ll miss John got to know him well in the last few years . We were hanging out in Febuary he always wanted to see the latest Dover pictures and was looking forward to help me get my car into the 10’s. He was a great machinest and racer but more than anything a good person and will be missed by many!! Brian M

hvy70ss
                                    Participant

Another Dover favorite…great Div. 1 racer. Will be missed. RIP John.

Bobby Smith

mikey

John was a good guy, a friend and fellow racer, and a very good engine builder. I was talking to him at Island in September, and he was the same ole John. We will all miss you John. Maybe you can hook up with “Speed” and raise a little hell wherever you guys are! …………….Mikey 😥 😉

dino
                                            Keymaster

From Poughkeepsie Journal:

John F. Gunn Jr. (1948 – 2011)
                                                LAGRANGEVILLE – John F. Gunn, Jr., 63, a lifelong area resident, died on Thursday, April 7, 2011 at Vassar Brothers Medical Center.
                                                Born on January 30, 1948 in Poughkeepsie, he was the son of John F. Gunn, Sr. of Poughkeepsie and the late Jane Armstrong Gunn. A self-employed machinist, he owned and operated Gunn’s Automotive Machine Shop in LaGrangeville for 30 years. He loved building motors and drag racing at Lebanon Valley.
                                                On May 26, 1990 in Poughkeepsie, John married Linda Runza who survives at home. In addition to his wife and father, he is also survived by his daughter, Amanda Gunn of LaGrangeville; his sister, Lorraine Morphet and her husband Robert of Hyde Park; and his brother, Daniel Gunn of Poughkeepsie, as well as several nieces and nephews. He was also predeceased by his brother, Robert Gunn and his sister, Susan Gilmartin.

Calling hours will be held on Monday from 9 to 11 am at the McHoul Home, Inc., 895 Route 82, Hopewell Junction. The service will be held at 11 am at the funeral home followed by interment in St. Peter’s Cemetery.

Memorial donations may be made to the American Cancer Society , 2678 South Road, Poughkeepsie, NY 12601

For driving directions and online condolences, please visit:
                                                http://www.mchoulfuneralhome.com

http://mchoulfh.frontrunnerpro.com/runtime/56819/runtime.php?SiteId=56819&NavigatorId=229861&op=tributeMemorialCandles&viewOpt=dpaneOnly&ItemId=711132

dover1320

Going to John’s funeral on Monday anyone else local going? I will be there and 40+ friend of John’s, Dave Cox are going together . John was the one to get Dave racing at Dover in 1970 until closing in 76. # 1193 RIP Brian M.

dino
                                                    Keymaster

TODAY:
                                                        Calling hours will be held on Monday from 9 to 11 am at the McHoul Home, Inc., 895 Route 82, Hopewell Junction. The service will be held at 11 am at the funeral home followed by interment in St. Peter’s Cemetery.

dover1320

John’s funeraul was huge many people from all over lots of Dover guys there . There were many good stories about him . Gone to soon !!! Brian

babycakes
                                                            Participant

Brian,thank you for letting us know there were many ‘Dover’ guys there to pay there respects to John.His memory and friendship will forever live on in our hearts and minds!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.