JUNIOR STOCKERS!…the backbone of Dover

Forums Forums OLD RACE CAR LOCATOR JUNIOR STOCKERS!…the backbone of Dover

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    dino
    Keymaster

LONG OVERDUE here at the forum…..The Junior Stockers that filled the lanes and made those summer days at Dover full of wild handicap delays and close finishes. No Big Block 4bbl carbs here…200 cubes,2 bbl carbs,sixes and 4 cylinder.early imports …trying to squeeze out every last bit of horsepower….Tiny Tim…Winspur….Dick Simko….Freddie Murphies ‘Yellow Fever” …the Little guys on shoe string budgets ,then the Famous ‘Sedan Deliverys’ and 55-56-57’s built to, “just’ to top of their class indexes. Hey- Feola’s “Honker” ’58 Panel Delivery…how everybody started. Lets Hear the stories…the cars & drivers info and get out the photos.

Attachments:

patina
        Participant

I have a one track mind when it comes to Jr. Stockers, they are only 5,6,7 Chevys 🙄 🙄 🙄 . Andy Panda
            (55 chev). Monster Mash (55 chev) YooHoo I and II (56 chev) a couple of 57 that I cant remember the names, Bob Lambeck, John Dianna. Truppi/Kling. So many had the Jenkins tag on them. Sweet days.

Pat

dino
            Keymaster

Focusing on THE DOVER Junior Stock GUYS…..

Attachments:

dino
                Keymaster

We did get ‘invaded” during this 1970 NHRA Stock points meet.

Attachments:

dino
                    Keymaster

The Shoe Polish Brigade…Richie had THE best lemonade in the pits….80%

Attachments:

dino
                        Keymaster

“Stock Class winners in Lane 1….H/Stock lane 2…I/Stock lane 3….J/Stock lane 4 …K/Stock lane 5” ….

Attachments:

don-kauer
                                quote dinotheweirdo:

LONG OVERDUE here at the forum…..The Junior Stockers that filled the lanes and made those summer days at Dover full of wild handicap delays and close finishes. No Big Block 4bbl carbs here…200 cubes,2 bbl carbs,sixes and 4 cylinder.early imports …trying to squeeze out every last bit of horsepower….Tiny Tim…Winspur….Dick Simko….Freddie Murphies ‘Yellow Fever” …the Little guys on shoe string budgets ,then the Famous ‘Sedan Deliverys’ and 55-56-57’s built to, “just’ to top of their class indexes. Hey- Feola’s “Honker” ’58 Panel Delivery…how everybody started. Lets Hear the stories…the cars & drivers info and get out the photos.

Wow, great shot of the Lou DiRubba ” Henry The Eighth ” from Eastchester, N/Y. And who could forget Ralphie’s 58′ (409)Sedan Delivery 😀 ……………….

dino
                                Keymaster

Don …look close at the “8th”..Jim Winkler on roof…right after he bought from Lou. And, my first Drag car lettering job…looks like it too 😆 ….gotta start someplace.

don-kauer

Very cool Dino………..Jimmy had a lot of fun with that car…. 🙂 ………….I sure miss him…Just another one of my buddies gone 😥

dino
                                        Keymaster

Need to track Down Dick Simko.”Six-Pack 56 chevy —BIG winner always…Heres some info we recieved in another post;
                                            …………Response to “Dick Simko’ inquiery from Bob Klein :
                                            Dino,
                                            I know that ‘Simmy’ lives in Stony Point, NY, My friend Tony (beat the Pied Piper) and I built and tuned his 56 2dr and the final 55 Six Pack Wagon. I don’t think Richy could change the oil, but even with one eye, he could sure cut the lights & shift.
                                            I flat towed Richy to Indy a few times, when he beat Jack Clifford’s Fabulous Hudson Hornet, but was disqualified for being .002 over, engine was bored 60 over, but we would drive to Dover every weekend with it. If those West Coast Tech Inspectors, had measured at the top and bottom of the bore it was strickly kosher,.Dick Simoneck did all the machineing and balanceing. We like they say,” What you don,t know. you don,t know”. Jack ran for Stock Eliminator with one of the Hudson’s, and his hood latch failed and the hood wrapped right over the windshield and roof on the top end, one of the damnest sites I ever saw. Bad Karma.
                                            I think Richie has got to be the winningest driver at Dover…….
                                            Maybe we will come up to the reunion @ the Dairy this year.

Bob Klein
                                            P.S. I saw the picture on the site were the Chevy Nova flipped over after it hit the stone ledge, I can still see the dirt and dust flying, to this day, in slow motion, really, it rolled in slow motion after it hit. I think the story was it was the old man’s new car, and his kid brought his girl friend to the track to race it, I thought the father was there, but someone said he wasn’t, anyway he probably got the *** kicked out of him, one way or the other
                                            ……………Hey Bob! Reunion GOOD idea! lots of old farts there! and hit our Nostalgia Drags at Island,Sept 24-25…and thanks for correcting the wrong name I use about Clifford and Winspur (Hudsons),I kept using “Clifford Thorp” -wrong

jrstk

Im looking for photos and stories of pre 1971 Stockers/Junior Stocks as I attempt to chronical the history of these cars. These guys truely were the back bone of the sport and deserve to have their history recorded.
                                                If you can or care to help out, please drop me a line.
                                                Thanks,
                                                Doug

jrstk@hotmail.com

dino
                                                Keymaster

OK guys …If your Car is Featured Here And Even If its NOT…Contact our Canadian Author here and fill him in.

jrstk

Hi Dino.
                                                        I want to wish you and all the members here a Safe and Happy Christmas. Its a great site youve got going here and though I dont post often, its great dropping by.
                                                        Doug

dino
                                                        Keymaster
                                                            quote dinotheweirdo:

OK guys …If your Car is Featured Here And Even If its NOT…Contact our Canadian Author here and fill him in.

Urge ALL of you to Give our “Author” a contact e-mail and fill him in OR JUst post a lenthy reply Here, All about your car-racing ,Etc. He IS Doing a new book On Junior Stockers ! Be included !

dino
                                                            Keymaster

Just a Reminder:
                                                                “Ive been given a green light from CarTech to start on the next project which will be a look at the stock movement of the 1960’s. The focus will be on the years 1964 through 1971, which was when the big bad governing body changed the rules and tossed all the cool cars.
                                                                I’m on the look out for anyone who raced a stocker between this time frame as I’d love to hear any interesting stories they may have. Also, I am in need of photos, any year, any make, b/w or color. If you can help out, again it would obviously be much appreciate it and credit will once again be given.
                                                                Thanks for any help you can provide.
                                                                Feel free to pass along my contact info.”
                                                                Doug

jrstk@hotmail.comJrStk

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 56 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.