Leonard Wood

Forums Forums WHERE ARE THEY NOW ? Leonard Wood

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    larry-n
    Participant

It is reported that Leonard Woods of the renowned ’60s Stone, Woods and Cooke supercharged Olds powered ’40 Willys coupe has died in his home state of California.

dino
        Keymaster

Leonard Woods WAS painted on the gasser,But it was His Father Tim’s Team….”Lenny” committed suicide ,due to his failed dealership. Read this report carefully ,and you’ll see he was the Son.
            http://jalopnik.com/5646242/former-drag-racer-commits-suicide-in-his-failed-car-dealership

“Lenny Woods, a black businessman whose name graced the groundbreaking Stone Woods & Cooke Swindler drag car racer in the 1960s, was found dead in his failed California Ford dealership Tuesday after an apparent suicide. He was 64 years old.

Woods’ father, Tim Woods, had founded the drag racing team in the late 1950s with a manager at his successful construction firm, Fred Stone. After driver Doug Cook joined the team in 1961, the trio became famous for their Swinder, which sported the body of a 1941 Willys coupe and a supercharged Oldsmobile engine”

vindicator
            Participant

😀 😀 😀 Hey Dino…thank you for “clearing”.. up… the Woods’…Tim (the father) was the legendary original member…along with Fred Stone & driver Doug “Cookie” Cook…Tim owned/managed a very successful southern California construction company (Woods Construction Company)… for many years…was a truly good man/gentleman…and a man…of his word…we bought a race car ( SWC Pinto funny car…”Tinkerbell”…driven by “Mighty Mike” Van Sant) from Tim…he & my dad…spoke on occassion for years & years… until their passing…my dad in fact introduced Tim and son Lenny to some people @ Ford Motor Company in Dearborn,Michigan 😀 😀 😀 …for opportunity to become Ford Dealer (in late 70’s)…in their minority dealer developement program…Lenny was about my age…and had a good “run” at the dealership business 😀 😀 😀 …about 30 years… “holy-toledo” “hoss”…this current economic “period” certainly has taken a “toll”…on business/”personal” too…whether it’s “mom & pop” stuff…or…way…bigger!!!…we were actually “tabled” to purchase the SWC 1st long-nose FC…Mustang (Dark Horse)…which Doug crashed (“believe”…memory??!! in Alton,Illinois)…was hurt very badly…and effectively ended his driving career…just a bit of another “sad” day…that “life” comes to this “extreme”…for some (never should ever get tc that “point” ‘eh)…if only…I cudda’ done something… at “least” several times…in my lifetime now…:( 🙁 🙁 …Drake

storm-king

I had also read that Leonard was dealing with prostrate illness, which I can only connect with cancer. The man was obviously under incredible strain. I can’t imagine the pain he must have been in to take his own life. I pray for his family and his soul…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.