LOWJACKS, ANYONE USE ONE

Forums Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION LOWJACKS, ANYONE USE ONE

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    vbob
    Participant

HEY

Maso and I would like to know if anyone uses a Lowjack or knows of a Lowjack story.

‘V’

dino
        Keymaster

I knew a Low Jack once…he was only 4ft 11in….but the ladies loved him .

vbob
            Participant

Hey

Not LoMein the Chinese guy??

‘V’

vbob
                Participant

Hey

Should have put on Lojack on my 401K!!
                    Hunt it down see where it all went!LOL!
                    Member when the banks pushed all of us to save save save in their banks and stock markets ,man were we stupid or what!the old timers did it right ,put it in a sock ,just make sure it dint have a hole in the toe end!!
                    All the cars and vacations we could have had!!
                    Ahhh!!!

‘V’

randy-fish
                        quote video Bob:

HEY

Maso and I would like to know if anyone uses a Lowjack or knows of a Lowjack story.
                        ‘V’

I had it installed on my new HHR SS, because the fascias, body kit, 18-inch wheels, and Michelin Pilots don’t come on any of the regular models. The guy came to my office to install it and I asked him if I could see where he was going to mount it. I was just curious, being a car guy, and knowing the engine compartment was super cramped, due to the turbo, air box and all. He said, “Sorry, 😕 I can’t even let you see the unit itself.” Oh well. I guess it’s the best-kept secret in Hollywood. 😯

jvore

When I lived in Florida, I had a unit installed on my Mustang SVT Cobra. They hid it under a rear seat panel, some insurance companies will allow a rate deduction. The only problem I had was they would not place a sticker on the vehicle to alert anyone, meaning they wanted the car found after the fact, by then it could have been trashed or stripped, I think a good car alarm would go a long ways in PREVENTION! Jim. 😎

randy-fish
                                quote JVore:

When I lived in Florida, I had a unit installed on my Mustang SVT Cobra. They hid it under a rear seat panel, some insurance companies will allow a rate deduction. The only problem I had was they would not place a sticker on the vehicle to alert anyone, meaning they wanted the car found after the fact, by then it could have been trashed or stripped, I think a good car alarm would go a long ways in PREVENTION! Jim. 😎

The second a Lowjack-equipped vehicle is moved without your keyfob transmitter being in the car, you’re notified by cell phone and the police are notified at the same time — it’s tracked by GPS and said perpetrators are aprehended.

maso
                                Participant

This topic still interests me.

It’s bad when somebody’s car gets stolen… but it’s worse, even personal when a Hot Rod or an antique car gets stolen. I read an alert on the Internet once from a guy who had a beautifully restored Model-A Ford cab pick-up truck in California who parked it, turned his back. And… guass what…??? That car was in his family since 1931…! Heartbreaking…. eh…?!

Consumer’s report may have some interesting articles about these thing and I would like to read them, but you have to pay for access to their web site. Does anybody here have that…?

How good are the detectives when it comes to following up…?

Maso

dmcarthur

We had Lojack tracking in our police cars. It does work, but the car has to be stolen for it to be activated. These is always a bad side.
                                        When the police enter the stolen car into the state and federal computer that triggers a radio signal that sets the car unit off and it’s starts sending out a radio signal. Before you buy it find out what area is covered. Cars that were being taken in NY were being driven out of the metro area and parked outside the range of the signal so the detection units in the police vehicles would not receive the signal. The cars were later disposed of. Some of the vehicles taken were being immediately driven to the port of NY or NJ and put into containers for shipment outside of the country. Once in the container the transmitter cannot be activated.
                                        Lojack will continue to operate for a short period of time even if the car battery is disconnected, because of a small internal battery. Often the bad guys will take the car and then park it in a location where they can observe it. Then they will wait and see if the police find it with the Lojack unit in their cars. The bad guys can also detect if the unit has been activated by using a radio scanner with the Lojack transmitter frequency in it. The scanner will pick up the short radio transmissions that the car sends out to alert the police.
                                        Lojack says the system is 95% effective. I do know that it work fairly well when activated in making the police notification. much of the expensive construction equipment in use in the NY area (light carts, compressors, etc.) are now Lojack equipped. I once used Lojack to trace a highway light cart right into a private garage. The guy swore the cart was his. Go figure…

maso
                                        Participant
                                            quote dmcarthur:

We had Lojack tracking in our police cars. It does work, but the car has to be stolen for it to be activated. These is always a bad side.
                                            When the police enter the stolen car into the state and federal computer that triggers a radio signal that sets the car unit off and it’s starts sending out a radio signal. Before you buy it find out what area is covered. Cars that were being taken in NY were being driven out of the metro area and parked outside the range of the signal so the detection units in the police vehicles would not receive the signal. The cars were later disposed of. Some of the vehicles taken were being immediately driven to the port of NY or NJ and put into containers for shipment outside of the country. Once in the container the transmitter cannot be activated.
                                            Lojack will continue to operate for a short period of time even if the car battery is disconnected, because of a small internal battery. Often the bad guys will take the car and then park it in a location where they can observe it. Then they will wait and see if the police find it with the Lojack unit in their cars. The bad guys can also detect if the unit has been activated by using a radio scanner with the Lojack transmitter frequency in it. The scanner will pick up the short radio transmissions that the car sends out to alert the police.
                                            Lojack says the system is 95% effective. I do know that it work fairly well when activated in making the police notification. much of the expensive construction equipment in use in the NY area (light carts, compressors, etc.) are now Lojack equipped. I once used Lojack to trace a highway light cart right into a private garage. The guy swore the cart was his. Go figure…

Thank you Don…

That is excellent information and it is what I was looking for. I hope everybody who should be concerned has read this.

Point by point:

It seems to me that a lot of the shortcomings of the Lo-Jack system could be somewhat overcome by also installing a “Zoombak” device as a backup system. It’s on sale at Pep Boys for $100.00. Go see: http://www.zoombak.com/ That’s a simple GPS tracking device and it comes with software for your home computer or lap-top. It will track your car, your teenager’s car or even your dog 24/7 and probably give you a street map print-out with a time line. Consider using both a Lo-Jack and a Zoombak… eh…?! If Lo-Jack says that it’s system is 95% effective then I should think that combining both would bring you up to about 99%. Assuming that the police will look at your Zoombak printouts during the investigation.

Investigators should set up decoy cars with special hi-tech GPS devices and follow those to the “Chop Shops” and just bust up their opperations altogether.

Comments…??? Please. This is important to all of us.

This subject was first brought up by me at another thread, go see: http://www.doverdragstrip.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=779&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.