Macey photos

Forums Forums WHERE ARE THEY NOW ? Macey photos

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    gramdog1
    Participant

Looking for photos of John Macey’s two cars, HEADS UP ’68 Cuda and LED ZEPPELIN ’70 Cuda. At the request of John’s son Jack. Dino, Thanks for the suggestion, Gramdog1.

bossguy

Last I saw of those cars, they wuz in my rear view mirror Ron 😆 😆 😆

paul-ceasrine

Now Boss Guy,

This all can’t be true. I just stumbled onto to this heading section. Those cars
                (68′ Hemi Cuda SS/BA, 70′ Hemi Cuda SS/DA and 66′ Hemi Belvedere Wagon SS/FA)
                were fine cars. Maybe not record setters, but competitive. And they were always
                professionally detailed. Im’ pretty sure “Heads Up” won or was runner-up in S/S
                Eliminator in Dover in 68′ or 69′ a few times. And the “Lead Zeppelin I” 70′ Hemi Cuda did a good job in 70′ or 71′.
                As for the rear view comment, let’s be nice now, or NOT ➡
                As for us, my fathers 67′ 273 Barracuda (lettered The Shadow”)(which ran from 68′ thru 72′, in J/S, K/S and L/S) never lost to a Ford at the track, ever.
                Even in 1972, when running in L/S, those guys from Carmel (I won’t mention their name
                or dealership they hung around, to protect the innocent) came up to the track with a
                69′ Mercury Cyclone GT II, a 351W/290 HP, tricked up with 13.5-1 pistons, radical cam
                and massaged cylinder heads, out to run down my father in L/S.
                We got a little worried, and were told about the non-legal goodies. My father was so confident, he put my mother (age 37, 5′ 1″ and 110lbs.)behind the wheel. So short, she could barely depress the clutch. Yep, she won, beat the Cyclone by a couple of cars. Trophy Run.
                Sorry about that 🙄

Paul

dino
                Keymaster

Those photos are in topic here (Where Are They Now) : “John Macey and Margo…alive and Well”…Can E-Mail in good resolution-size if ness. Dino

paul-ceasrine

Hey Dino,

Photo’s all over the place. Great stuff. More stories to come. We have slides of Dover somewhere in one our family homes. If we can find them, there yours. Right now we’ve
                        got pictures of the race cars, but to our dissapointment, not at the track, only the
                        shop in Jefferson Valley and at our home in Mahopac. We took many pictures at the
                        track, but those little Kodak Instamatic’s (with the cube flash-mounts on the top) wern’t the greatest is shooting cars going down the track. Took many photo’s of the cars through the view finder, only to find out later when they were developed that I took a photo of
                        an empty track. I was only 13 in 1970. Do I get a break? How about an Only Car Trophy run.
                        Found some interesting stuff through the T O’Shea site.
                        You worked at the Fore’ N Aft in Brewster too. I bartended their in the late 70’s, and in
                        1983/1984 when it changed to Polo’s. How about a blast from the past. I dated a girl Donna who was best friends with Pam Hitt, who’s brother Mark was the lead guitarist for
                        Rat Race Choir. The best Led Zep cover band in the east. Don’t know if you were ever down in the basement of the club (dirt floor, cob-webs and shaky wood beams). That floor would bounce and twist when people jumped up and down, like the “Kandid Kamaro” coming out-of-
                        hole at Dover.

Paul

dino
                        Keymaster

Paul …someone here said “Funny,you open a door here and another one is there” Put Fore’n’Aft in search…You might be surprised! …Hey Shop photos OK …send e-mail or post !

bobby-s

Paul
                                was / is your mom still mad at me for having your dad 😯
                                make the ‘cuda into a drag racing machine, 😮
                                after she beat a FOMOCO with a MOre POWER 😉
                                I just went down to the speed shop to get the headers 😳
                                Dad remembers when we got back to the station
                                the headers were sticking out the rear window of the VW bug 🙄
                                what a site that was,, 😆
                                I’m sure Lou Vignogna & Ray had some input here all so.
                                About that time they painted the ’63 color green’sh in dad’s shop on 301

Say Hi to All for me,

Bobby Schlegel,,,

paul-ceasrine

Bobbu S,

How are you. Long time. So much to reminisce about. First off, my mother still wants to kick you in the n–s for talking my father into racing her pristine 67′ Barracuda. She still talks about that car, like it was yesterday. Bought the car from McNulty Plymouth, across from Lake Glenieda. Paid $2750 for the car, with only 4000 miles on it. Wasn’t that car
                                    Frank the sales managers wife’s car ❓ I was only 11 in the spring of 68′ when they bought it.
                                    Did you ever wash Mrs. Dratnick’s Corvair off, after you started your rail at the pumps at my fathers gas station “West Road Amoco”. My father thought she was going to die right there
                                    at the pumps. Nice fresh rusty water out of the header pipes, all over that nice blue car.
                                    You know, the funeral director from funeral home (Fowler Avenue Funeral Home), I think,
                                    came over to my father and yelled at him for making so much noise. I think my father
                                    said a wise remark back to him, something like, “What’s the big deal, they can’t hear anything now anyway”. OUCH!
                                    Yea, the Hooker Headers. The first component my dad added to the Cuda. I think they cost
                                    around $135. Again, driving my mother through the roof. Fenderwells, no less. Didn’t you guys pick them at Hawthorne Speed, not Elmsford Speed Parts Center. I remember
                                    the Hawthorne place was in the back of a house, in a converted basement. You had to drive in on the right side of the house and down a little hill. Am I close ❓
                                    Louie’s Plymouth. Yes, was painted in the garage at the gas station. Somebody left the
                                    lifts on overnight, with the windows open. The next day we opened the garage door, and
                                    found the mosquito’s imbedded in the paint. I think someone named it “BUG-A-FLAKE”.

Hope all is well. I’ll follow up with fun info later.

P.S. You know, my mother now drives a HEMI, 2007 Chrysler 300. Now don’t start talking to my father, or my mother will kick you in the n–s.

storm-king

I’ve got several of the Zepplin and Heads Up, plus John and Bill in the pits, John in his plaid shorts.
                                        I’ve just got to get them scanned and then I can pass them on.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.