Miami Hollywood Motorsports Park

Forums Forums BENCH RACING FROM THE PAST Miami Hollywood Motorsports Park

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    tomblake
    Participant

I know this is a long way from Dover but it looks like a good number of the Dover racers now reside in Florida.
        The Miami track closed in 1992. About four months before the closing I bought a home a couple of miles from the track. One of the reasons I bought the house was the track being so close. Boy was I surprised after getting settled to find out the track was closing.
        I did get to race there about four times. The “Last Race” as it was called had so many cars you could hardly get around the pits.
        There should be some Dover racers that raced at the Miami facility.
        Any Dover racers been there?

john-sachs-sr
        Participant

My son and I raced at that track every Thursday night.Pro-stock motorcycle,and also Pro-mod motorcycle.The track didn’t have insurance for nitrous vehicles,so we had to take the bottle out at the end of the track.Ran a lot of mid 7 sec. passes at that track.Had some big money runs as well.You could smell the nitrous + after a pass on a humid night.
            We ran the last drag race there as well,and like you,my son was upset that the track closed,and built a house near Moroso (Palm Beach Int.)in Palm Bch. County.
            John

tomblake
            Participant

John…Were you or your son into the Prostar series a few years back? If so you may have run into my son. He was traveling all over the country with Prostar.

john-sachs-sr
                Participant

Tom,
                    Pro-star has had 3 different name changes,but to answer your question,yes from the beginning thru the latest name change.My son earned the Pro-Mod #1 plate in ’02.Was a hired gun in ’03 and ’04,and is back on his own bike now.
                    John

maso
                    Participant
                        quote TomBlake:

Any Dover racers been there?

Twice… as a spectator only though.

Once when they had Don Garlits. It was the first time I ever was one of his rear engine dragsters.

The next time I got to see Slammin’ Sammy Miller and his Hydrogyn Peroxide rocket… WhoooHoo…!!! 3.5 second ET @ 350 mph. Shocking.

tomblake
                        Participant
                            quote Maso:

Slammin’ Sammy Miller and his Hydrogyn Peroxide rocket… WhoooHoo…!!! 3.5 second ET @ 350 mph. Shocking.

Was that the Hydrogen Peroxide car with the Vega body? If that is the same car we watched him set Guinness records at E-Town.

maso
                            Participant
                                quote TomBlake:

quote Maso:

Slammin’ Sammy Miller and his Hydrogyn Peroxide rocket… WhoooHoo…!!! 3.5 second ET @ 350 mph. Shocking.

Was that the Hydrogen Peroxide car with the Vega body? If that is the same car we watched him set Guinness records at E-Town.

No, it wasn’t This one was a simple striped down chassis without a body. Looked like a big go cart with ball shaped bottles of fuel stuff on it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.