MotorCycle pictures from dover

Forums Forums HISTORICAL DOVER PHOTO GALLERY MotorCycle pictures from dover

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    nitrofrankie
    Participant

Would love to see some pictures from the early days of motorcycle dragracing at Dover there is someone holding on to them so please post some
        Thanks Nitro Frankie

dino
        Keymaster

Looking …Know a stash I have to check …Or V-Bob will check the ‘Attic’ under M. Thinking Maso might know.

vbob
            Participant

Hey

Sorry to say I have O on the bikes of Dover !!!
                Hope someone will fill the void on this important segment of the history of Dover Drag Strip !!
                There are bikes that race with my current club N.E.T.O.,they might have some information on the bikes at Dover !!

‘V’ Bob

storm-king

When were bikes ever allowed to run at Dover? The only motorcycle I ever saw run at Dover was E.J. Potter.

dino
                    Keymaster

Ok ….we have some early shots (61 on up) trying to find AND on all the old 8mm I have gathered ,theres a whole lot of Bike action . This was in the 60’s and by the time I got there like 65 …there was no classes or even bikes showing up. SO what I can do Is try to screen capture the Bike stuff and IT Will be Some OLD vintage machines.

tomblake
                        Participant

I think the “storm king” is right, I sure don’t remember any bikes ever running at Dover except for EJ Potter. I was there from 1961 to 1966.

dino
                            Keymaster

Not that big of a deal …a smattering is shown in the old movies ….Time trails only maybe ? Think Bob Swanson has some shots …will research for ya.

gene-terenzio-sr
                                Participant

George “Moppy” Bucanine

“Nasty Sam” Tartaglia

Mickey “Bones” Oferro
                                    These were all Motorcycle racers at dover even before we raced there, all from Stamford Conn, Black Road Club members

dino
                                    Keymaster

Went through all of the 689 slides spanning 61-65 and NO bikes…? With the contact with Donofio and his collection ,I’ll see what he says .

tomblake
                                        Participant

Dino…I don’t think bikes were allowed in the early days and I sure don’t remember them having a class for them.

dino
                                            Keymaster

Gene…Thanks…I’ll check with those guys…They still have a website and I think someone from club is here on the Forum.

jimbo

Gene:

You are right about Mobby and Bones racing bikes at Dover.

Vito is sending me pictures he has from his day’s of drag racing his Harley at Dover and I will send them in to Dino to post.

Jimbo

gene-terenzio-sr
                                                    Participant
                                                        quote Jimbo:

Gene:

You are right about Mobby and Bones racing bikes at Dover.

Vito is sending me pictures he has from his day’s of drag racing his Harley at Dover and I will send them in to Dino to post.

Jimbo

I’ll bet the announcer back then remembers Nasty Sam he said some shit about Nasty, so he went up to the tower to kick his ass, heard he locked himself in the tower, don’t know who the announcer was back then. and Moppy went down going true the lites and “HE” was clocked at 105 MPH, the bike came true later.

dino
                                                        Keymaster

About What year or years are you guys referring to ?…Bob swanson has a few I’m trying to get from him …that would be like 61-62. Plus Dick Donofrio is getting back to me on this Too.

anonymous

In the earlier posting “Old News Clippings” by Papasmurf there is a results listing that shows 3 bike classes at the bottom.
                                                                I beleive Jimmy Taylor is listed as a winner. If it is the same Taylor, he was a local high school drop out who was a real whiz at tuning old Triumphs. The story goes that he moved to California and invented a new form of cinder blocks for construction and became very wealthy.

Al Baran

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.