My Racers BIO.

Forums Forums Original DOVER RACERS "BIO’s" My Racers BIO.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    mikey

Name: Mike McDermott, born and raised in Beacon, N.Y. I started drag racing at Dover in 1966, after buying Pat Hennebery’s ’53 Chevy Business Coupe, the “Tall Man”, 6 cylinder w/ 3 speed, closed drive w/torque-tube. Ran the car in U/Stock for 2 seasons , I think. Then I put a bigger 6 in it with 3 carbs and open drive, ran it in J and K/Gas for 2 seasons then sold it. Converted my street car, a ’66 Chevelle with a big block (396) in C/MP for one season, then put a bigger big block in and ran B/MP for one season. Next, I built a ’67 Camaro w/427 and ran A/SM and I also ran my ’72 Datsun pick-up in P/Stock, winning 18 of 19 Trophy’s. Then, over the winter, I built my C/Gas ’70 Nova, my favorite car until I bought my Willys. I ran the Nova all over, not just Dover, but Dover was my home track. I raced my Nova on the last day Dover was open, broke the rear end, and left early. During the ten years that I raced at Dover, I drove several cars for other owners, in several classes including Pro-Stock. I also worked at Dover at the end, part time, handing out time slips. My first wife also worked there in the tower, handy-capping the money cars. I raced other tracks after Dover closed, but only for one season, then I got into circle track racing. I still miss Dover, but I stay in touch with a lot of the Dover guys. Oh, This past August, 2014, I was inducted into the Dover Dragstrip Drag Racing Hall Of Fame. Also, This past April, I got a phone call from a Jim Banks, who was representing the Dutchess County Museum Of History And Racing. On July 12th, I will be Inducted into the Dutchess County Drag Racing Hall Of Fame. I’m honored, and humbled by both awards!!

Attachments:

tomblake
        Participant

Mikey…Cool bio. Good luck putting the new engine together. Will the new engine be in the Willis for this year’s race?

mikey

Yes Tom, I will be working on pulling the old motor out in the next few days. I need the heads and intake for the new engine. Then in with the new one!! Thanks for asking. ………….Mikey :mrgreen:

babycakes
                Participant

Mikey, THANK YOU for your ‘bio’,I certainly enjoyed reading it! No doubt your a well ‘seasoned’ racer,and engine builder,and well deserved to be in the ‘Hall of Fame’!!! YOU EARNED IT!!! 😉 Pete.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.