New Ford Guy to forum

Forums Forums NEW GUYS…and girls New Ford Guy to forum

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    67goingthing

Stumbled across this forum by accident but am hooked. I am Friends with John Downing of team Downing & Ryan who raced Fords in New York-New Jersey and up and down the coast in the 60’s and 70’s. Truly love and miss the old days when Drag Racing was fun and unpredictable. Here are a few photos of my Fairlane and you will see the connection with D&R!

Attachments:

mikey

Very very nice car. You need to tell us a little about it, you know, a little history. Oh yea, and bring it to the 2nd annual DoverDrags at Island Dragway, Sept 25 and 26. 😀 ………………………..Mikey 😆

bobby-s

Dino

get some race stickers to him for this awesome fairlane 😯
                NOW,,, 😡

Bobby S.

don-kauer

Hey, What a beautiful Fairlane……………Rox did you check out this one,,,,,,,,,,

dino
                    Keymaster

Found this that Relates…Lotta stuff HERE ! use search feature

IMG_1533

67goingthing

The Jim Ryan car is not the Fairlane raced by D&R. This was Jim’s personal car and John didn’t have anything to do with it. It was sold sometime in 67. John bought the “RESPECT” Fairlane from Dockery Ford and immediately took it to John Healy over the winter of 66-67 where the car was transformed to Super Stock trim. In May John set a new SS/B NHRA national record at 11.42 at Madison County Raceway Park. They later ran a 67 Fairlane sedan in Super Stock along with many Mustangs. Lastly, in Pro Stock they campaigned a Maverick and then a Pinto.

I will follow up with more details about the car this week!

Attachments:

dino
                            Keymaster

You in Illinois?

bossguy

You’re not Bob Brown are you? Bob Brown built my first Boss 302 drag engine. I met John Downing at his shop in Montclair, he also moved once while he was building my motor (Change Bridge rd?) A neighbor of mine bought the stock Boss 429 manifold off what was to be the Pro Stock Maverick Motor. Last I heard Bob had moved to Colorado. Another buddy of mine was Howie Kittlestad whose cousin was a ford rep named Pedersen? I worked at George Cook Ford in Scarsdale at the time.

67goingthing

I am in Illinois. 2 of John’s cars wound up here in the late 60’s and that is where my connection is. Concerning Bob Brown, take a look at who John’s competitor is in the photo below!

Attachments:

bossguy

Nice Pic, Thanks. Bob Browns pre Cobra Jet days. See HemiDart68 and Gramdog! Bob Brown saw the light! He’s goin to Heaven! 😆

67goingthing

The Stable 1971

Attachments:

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.