New Guy building a new car

Forums Forums NEW GUYS…and girls New Guy building a new car

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    howie

Hello. I have just been introduced to this site via a very good friend who used to race at Dover and now resides in ky. I am presently building and old school afx as correct as I can get it. Not straight axle and will be powered by an injected hemi. I will be match racing with him hopefully next year at bowling green. I am just outside of tulsa, oklahoma.
        Howie

dino
        Keymaster

Hey Howie ! Welcome aboard ! yeah we’re into mid sixties altered wheelbase original funny cars …many ran At Dover …check out ALL the photo threads …rare stuff coming in all the time. try http://www.afxer.com

34gasser-65awb

Sounds good Howie. Have any pics to post?

storm-king

Well folks you probably summized that Howie is my buddy from Oklahoma. He is a terrific guy; been a good Mopar friend for some years now. He’s working on his second ’65 AWB car. I had a thought to contact him about this site after seeing 34gasser/65AWB’s new project. I was thinking wow, that’s a tough way to go about that! But we all seem to have different ideas about what way works best for us. Howie is having Mark Goodman do most of his chassis (unibody) mod work; as he did the first one for Howie also. He does really good work, is located around Cathage Mo. Mark is the guy who built the first all steel normally aspirated, no power adders, slant six that ran in the tens in the 1/4! Pretty wild to watch!
                    Howie’s in the UK right now on Reserve Air Force duty and will be home soon. We’ll get him to post some pics then. We really want to go do some match racing together; and the more folks with the right type period cars, the better.
                    Welcome to Dover, Howie!

howie

Thanks for hooking me up with this site gary. Guess we will run our cars at ky, bowling green for openers. I will get pics up as soon as I get back and we get started on it. I am putting my 34 on hold till the afx is done. Here is a pic of it. I was getting ready to build the frame rails. But had to finish the 65 so I will have a car to run against garys dart. Looks mean gary. What motor are you going to run?
                        Howie

Attachments:

dino
                        Keymaster

Wow..thats a big photo file Howie …scrolled all the way to bathroom sideways to see it ..if you like , e-mail to me, Ill resize ,adjust color & contrast …Cool ride

34gasser-65awb

Stormy, my Dodge is done the easy way! Would have been more work to move the wheelbase within the stock tail. I thought about going that way, but I knew I would eventually bob the length out of the tail anyway, so I dove right in and took the tail right off. The 2door conversion? Now THAT is easy. Brace it all up, hang the doors, and measure, measure, measure. Then drill the spotwelds and hang the new quarter sections. I’m going the even easier route with it and welding the doors shut solid after gutting everything out of the doors and roof.

Lotsa cutting! When cutting is fun, this kinda car is easy!

Howie, is that a pic of the slant six that you got into the 10s like stormy says?

howie

I hope to get it in the 10`s. I was going to build a ratrod but got carried away and was going to put a 392 in it but mark and I went in half on this motor and long story short we thought there were too many cars that were alike and thought this would be different. So Storm King was building a dart with a 6 to match race but things change and he went with the old gasser afx route so I traded a 67 barracuda for a 65 coronet to build a car to match race my buddy and maybe if there is enough cars try to book some races. Have access to an injected /6 fed I am hoping to finish up this winter and make some passes in the spring.
                                    Howie

storm-king

Howie; that thing belongs in the current projects thread anyway. Besides, aren’t you supposed to be defending the country or something over there? What’re you doing spendin’ time here? 😆

howie

This is my 4th tour over here. Only this time I am saving fot my 65. Besides I have to do something besides nothing while I am not working 😆 . Thanks for finding this site for me. There is so much to check out, I am haviing a field day.

Howie

dino
                                            Keymaster

Howie…fil us in on the “local’ racing ? sites ,magazines …stuff like that …just curious.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.